S7 Upgrade cost - doubled from 2 yrs ago?

Mike_Haru
I'm a Participant Level 3

HI,

I've been with fido for 3 years, i got an old City fido plan (remember those?) with a 6 GB pack data.

In 2014 when i decided to upgrade and most companies moved from the 3 to 2 yr contracts, i was able to upgrade to my Samsung S5 paying a round 200 ish dollars.

Now the 2 years have passed and i'm looking to upgrade to a S7.. but .. surprise.. i have to pay almost double of what i paid 2 yrs ago if i want to keep my plan or take one of the Max plans.. which would cost me around 1200 dollars more over the 2 years for having the same features...... why?

I want to stay with fido.. but with the increase in the phone plans and prone prices i'm actually considering moving to a another carrier.. 

11 REPLIES 11
illusion87
I'm Helpful Level 2

Price of the phone is pretty much the same throughout canada same goes with price of plans now a days. You can't blame fido because the s7 is more money. Since you're a previous client of fido I would say your best bet is to call loyalty and see what they can offer. I've only been with fido for more than a year and all issues I've had fido has resolved and I even got a good loyalty plan to boot. Fido has been good to me and regardless of plans or pricing of phones (which I know are the same throughout most of the canada)I do not have plans to switch.

Hey Mike_Haru!

Welcome to the Community. 

We definitely wouldn't want to see you go. 

We'll be happy to look over your options for an upgrade. 

We'll be sending you a PM shortly. Smiley

Mike_Haru

Well, after a few private messages, the final conclusion is..

This is not a place to discuss prices.

As i mentioned in the PM's with the FIDO guys here, i understand that not everyone in a company can be authorized to change retails...

But if all i was going to get  in the PM  was the same i could see in the website then..why bother with the PM's?

A simple.. reply saying we can only go with what the fido website says would have suficed.. and i would not have been checking my msgs expecting some a different outcome...

and i think i lost the Fido dollars since they expire today..

Hello Mike_Haru,

@Mike_Haru wrote:

But if all i was going to get  in the PM  was the same i could see in the website then..why bother with the PM's?

A simple.. reply saying we can only go with what the fido website says would have suficed.. and i would not have been checking my msgs expecting some a different outcome...

Yes, there is only so much leeway available with regards to pricing. However, sometimes the amount of flexibility is related to the customer's plan/account. The PMs allow the moderators to access your account information to determine how much latitude is afforded given your particular situation. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Mike_Haru

which other water proof - wireless charging phone is available at Fido?

Thank you

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

By most peoples account the S7 is perhaps the best smartphone currently being sold and isn't to be confused with the rather mundane S5. If you wanna play you gotta pay. Samsung and Apple get away with premium pricing because they're in high demand and they build rather nice phones. If saving money is your goal there's plenty of Android phones available for next to nothing they just aren't the S7. I wish Porsche sold a $15,000 911 turbo too but I realize if you want something then the price is the price.
Mike_Haru

I never said I wanted to pay 10% or less of the phone. (which is your $15K)

Don't tell me a customer (even you)  wouldn't feel better if you go to a store and see the price,.. and then you get a " since you are a returning customer we can get a deal for you.."

But when i go to a store all i get is.. "you need to buy your phone upfront" or "you need to change your plan", or here is you have to pay the regular price.

and.. oh well whatever..

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Mike_Haru There are quite a few factors to look at first inflation, second no more 3yrs contract only 2yrs so the carriers have to charge more upfront to make the money back in 2yrs. Also prices of smartphones have been going up with each new flagship being released.

In terms of the plans I agree the carriers gouge us pretty good here in Canada and especially in Ontario because we lack competition plan rates have been going through the roof.

Mike_Haru

Well the 3 yr contract doesn't apply for the cost cause as I said I upgraded with a 2 yr plan..(just after the change in the regulations )

I get that the exchange rate is diferent.. but it's 25%..not 100%..

The S7 today is $900 what was the price of the S5 in 2014?

Mike_Haru

700 dollars.... which is around 25 to 30%