S5 Galaxy water damage

S5 Galaxy water damage

S5 Galaxy water damage

SOLVED
soretski
I'm a Contributor Level 1

S5 Galaxy water damage

I'm on a trip to Hawaii and my Got hit with a big wave while my phone was in my pocket. It is a galaxy S5 and it got shorted out. There is no leaks on the case and no reason why the phone should have got shorted out but it did. Neither Fido nor Samsung will stand by their warranty because they are claiming water damage voids the warranty even though this phone should have resistance to water damage that was the whole point of the phone. So now I'm stuck on a new two-year contract with a Samsung S4. Sucks.

Accepted Solution

Re: S5 Galaxy water damage

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMatt

The warranty is always the manufacturer's, we handle the repairs through our store to make it simpler and cheaper for our customers. 

The phone is considered to be water resistant, not waterproof. A wave hitting you could produce more pressure than what the phone is able to withstand. 

This being said, Samsung being the manufacturer of the phone they would have final word on whether the warranty still applies or not.

View solution in context
9 REPLIES 9
ramone
I'm a Participant Level 2

The phone is not waterproof. One of my friends daughter accidentally dropped his phone in the toilet and it ruined the phone.. The warranty covered his phone...

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome the community @ramone

The Samsung Galaxy S5 is rated IP67, using the Ingress Protection rating system. The dust rating is 6 (highest level of protection), and the water resistance rating is 7. There's different reasons why the phone can be damaged after being dropped in the toilet. Glad to hear the phone was covered a least. Smiley

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Sorry to hear about that soretskiThe phone doesn't have to be submerged in water to be damaged; excess humidity can be the cause. 

soretski

Hi, no it wasn't excess humidity (LOL). I was taking pictures at a tidal pool, the tide started coming in, I decided to get away from there and move to a safer spot, put my phone in my pocket and got hit with a big wave.

As the galaxy S5 is supposed to be water resistant I didn't treat it with the precautions one would with other phones. I expected it to be safe. Someone at Samsung said that the force of the water "may have" been enough to cause the water to get in and so they were not allowing the claim. I told him it was in my pocket, in the Samsung folding case so there should not have been water pressure.

Maybe it was water sprites who mystically ruined my phone.

Or Maybe Samsung and Fido only want to say they have warranties on their products, but don't actually want to stand behind them.

My contention is that Samsung says their phone is water resistant, it was not water resistant in this case and so they should, or Fido (who claims to have one year warranty against defective phones) should replace the product because it did not meet the standard claimed by the product.

The warranty is always the manufacturer's, we handle the repairs through our store to make it simpler and cheaper for our customers. 

The phone is considered to be water resistant, not waterproof. A wave hitting you could produce more pressure than what the phone is able to withstand. 

This being said, Samsung being the manufacturer of the phone they would have final word on whether the warranty still applies or not.

soretski

Hey Robert,

yeah pressure is not the issue as the phone was in my pocket.

They just shouldn't say its water resistant (because it wasn't)

and then claim that water damage voids the warranty.

I'm done with the S5. I'm happy that Fido helped me get an S4 at a reasonable price,

I've always been happy with Fido's support and they came through for me again.

As much as I'm annoyed with Samsung, I would still choose their last-year phone

over anything Apple has to offer today.

I only wish I knew how lousy Samsung is at standing behind their products.

I've never broken a phone before, and wouldn't have in this case if I knew

how weak the claim of water resistance was.

They can claim anything they want if they're unwilling to stand behind it.

Mike

soretski

I'd just like to follow up: its a month later and Samsung has not given me satisfaction so I will be taking them to court. I may not get a new phone but am incredibly frustrated by their FALSE ADVERTIZEMENT. They claim the phone can get wet, they have aqua mode for taking photos, but on the other hand say that water voids the warranty. Why don't they advertize that? Someone needs to get that message out there. The customer support from Samsung has been garbage.

I haven't exactly had my world rocked by Fido on this issue either, they've totally thrown me under the bus. Don't count on Fido to stand by warranties on products they sell. Not impressed. Well there's a strong Wind now blowing across the country, I may let it take me where its going next time.

@soretski wrote:

I'd just like to follow up: its a month later and Samsung has not given me satisfaction so I will be taking them to court. I may not get a new phone but am incredibly frustrated by their FALSE ADVERTIZEMENT. They claim the phone can get wet, they have aqua mode for taking photos, but on the other hand say that water voids the warranty. Why don't they advertize that? Someone needs to get that message out there. The customer support from Samsung has been garbage.

I haven't exactly had my world rocked by Fido on this issue either, they've totally thrown me under the bus. Don't count on Fido to stand by warranties on products they sell. Not impressed. Well there's a strong Wind now blowing across the country, I may let it take me where its going next time.

Hello Soretski,

Sorry to hear about your phone. However, I don't think you'll have much luck in court. I know the phone is advertised as being water resistant, but it's up to the customer to read all of the user's manuals, warranties and even fine print.

It does state in the User's Manual under Maintaining water and dust resistance:

..."Do not expose the device to water moving with force, such as ocean waves or waterfalls."...

..."Do not expose the device to salt water, ionised water, or soapy water."...

Both of which happened in your case. I know the phone was in your pocket so you don't think 'force' was an issue, but I don't think you'll find a sympathetic ear given it's clearly written in the User's Manual (and bolded like that in the manual). Water pressure is a peculiar thing. You might not think the force was great in your pocket, but water under pressure can sneak into even the smallest of cracks -- even passed the water resistant seal. A cloth pocket would not protect from water pressure. Even waterproof fabrics will fail given enough pressure. I'm not saying that the 'big wave' you experienced created enough pressure to breach Gortex, but a cloth pocket would offer little protection against water pressure.

I think the more damaging aspect, though, was the salt water. The phone might not have shorted out if a little bit of water breached the seal, but salt water would act as an even better conductor of electricity causing even more damage.

With regards to warranty and water damage, this is what it actually states:

"This Warranty does not cover water damage to the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone where the water damage was caused by:

1. • improper closure of the back cover of the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone; or
2. • use of a non Samsung accessory cover; or
3. • submersion of the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone in water for 30 minutes or more; or
4. • the depth of the water at which the Samsung Galaxy S5, S5 Mini or S4 Active Mobile Phone was submerged was greater than or equal to 1 metre."

While it doesn't specifically mention 'moving water' or 'salt water' in their water damage clause, exposure to those could be considered 'misuse of product' and still void warranty since it was clearly stated not to expose it to those.

If you think that taking them to court will give you satisfaction, then by all means try to satisfy yourself. However, I just think you'd find yourself even more frustrated than you already are.

Cheers

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3

Before taking anyone to court, read this article about the Samsung S5 and what it means as 'water resistant' and IP67 certification. I was curious about your situation and find the article answers most of your questions

http://phandroid.com/2014/04/21/galaxy-s5-ip67-meaning/

Short summary you might not get your desired verdict in court...

Also.... I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but putting your phone in your pocket does not relieve any pressure exerted by the wave on your phone. unless your pocket is made from a rigid enclosure like a plastic box....

Might as well add this tidbit. the article says most household facult exerts a pressure of 20PSI, which is over the IP67 rating of 16PSI, I don't think a ocean/pool made wave will be less than that..