Roaming

Roaming

Roaming

TERPE
I'm a Participant Level 2

Roaming

Do you have a roaming agreement with Swisscom? i.e. can I access the Fido network in Canada when I insert my Swisscom SIM card into my iPhone?

5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@TERPE wrote:

Do you have a roaming agreement with Swisscom? i.e. can I access the Fido network in Canada when I insert my Swisscom SIM card into my iPhone?

@TERPE wrote:

Yes. The other two mobile operators are Sunrise and Salt (previously Orange). Do you have any agreements with any of these three Swiss service providers to provide roaming for Fido customers in Switzerland?

Hello TERPE,

Welcome to the community!

Could you please clarify what you are asking?

Assuming your Swisscom plan allows roaming in Canada, then you should be able to use that SIM while in Canada. However, the network may not necessarily be Fido/Rogers. Is there any particular reason you need access to the Fido network with your Swisscom SIM? 

Fido does offer roaming in Switzerland. You can use Fido Roam or purchase a Travel Pack if you don't have a Pulse plan. Alternatively, you can also roam on a Pay-per-use basis. You can view the travel options here. Switzerland is considered Zone 2.

If you are a Fido customer, then you should have a Fido SIM. I'm not sure why you would need to use your Swisscom SIM while in Canada or use your Fido SIM in Switzerland. Generally roaming would be more costly than using a local SIM. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

TERPE

My question was only to verify if these roaming agrements were reciprocal. My Swisscom SIM card doesn't allow roaming with any carrier in Canada, I'm not sure which network in Switzerland provides roaming to Fido customers; however, you're right it's much cheaper to get a prepaid SIM card paractically anywhere in Europe (and indeed the USA) than to roam with a Fido card. It's a real shame that Canadians have to pay so much for their mobile services (amongst the highest of the 34 OECD countries).

@TERPE wrote:

...My Swisscom SIM card doesn't allow roaming with any carrier in Canada....

Hello again,

Perhaps it is your tariff plan that does not include roaming? According to here, Canada is considered Zone B for voice and SMS, and World 1 for data.

Also, Fido/Rogers is not one of Swisscom's roaming partners.

roaming partners.jpg

Taken from here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hi there @TERPE

Thanks for reaching out Smiley

We don't have any agreement per say, with other International providers, for usage within Canada. 

If your phone is unlocked though, you can input any SIM card.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Swisscom a swiss telecommunication company?

TERPE

Yes. The other two mobile operators are Sunrise and Salt (previously Orange). Do you have any agreements with any of these three Swiss service providers to provide roaming for Fido customers in Switzerland?