Roaming policy change

I'm a Participant Level 2 PaulOfAllTrades
I'm a Participant Level 2

Roaming policy change

I'm a fairly new Fido customer, switched from Rogers a few months back.  On previous trips to the US, I've been able to buy a roaming pack for $30 to cover my data usage - mostly email, some browsing, never more than the 20 MB offered in the package.

Now, the roaming policy at Fido (and Rogers) has been "simplified", forcing me to pay $7.99 for every 24 hours of data usage, up to 50 MB per day.  Highway Robbery.  If I send one email per day on a one-week trip, I'll incur $56 (plus tax, of course) in data roaming charges.  I guess I'll look into a US SIM card the next time I travel.

And the big 3 wonder why Canadians are applauding the possibility of Verizon entering our market.....

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming policy change

Fido offers other packages for heavy data users or people that need more data passes, the 50 MB per day is a plan for people going for a couple days,  there is roaming passes you can buy with more data.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Wow! I can't believe this! Fido puts a step forward for 'normal' users with a great $7.99 50MB/day plan and people still complain. I happen to find it to be one of the benefits of Fido/Rogers comparied to the competition. 

I gotta start being more sensitive.... Look, if the new roaming plans is not for you take your own advice and buy a local sim when you travel. Its the correct thing to do especially you are only concern about data and don't need your cell phone number.  My advice to you is that if you are concerned with only 1 e-mail per day. Go to a starbucks in the states and use their free wi-fi. Save yourself the US sim card.

But please please please do not critize mobile carriers when they try to take a step in the right direction. Right now another Canadian mobile carriers is charging Canadians $40/100MB (for unknown amount of days).  If I use your example and go on a day trip to US and recieved 1 e-mail I will be billed $40, instead of $7.99 from Fido. I simply want to state different plans caters to different individuals and I believe Fido/Rogers took a correct step in the right direction for a good porton of Canadian customers, if you fall into the wrong camp, simply sign up to a differment carrier that caters to your needs or buy a local SIM.

Do not under any circumstance use this as an excuse to promote the need of Verizon. I agree that Canada needs more outside competition. But your example only examplfies we Canadians do not look closely into our existing options and blindy ask for things that may or may not benefit us at all.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Fido Employee sheedy17
Fido Employee
Solution

Fido offers other packages for heavy data users or people that need more data passes, the 50 MB per day is a plan for people going for a couple days,  there is roaming passes you can buy with more data.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@PaulOfAllTrades wrote:

I'm a fairly new Fido customer, switched from Rogers a few months back.  On previous trips to the US, I've been able to buy a roaming pack for $30 to cover my data usage - mostly email, some browsing, never more than the 20 MB offered in the package.

Now, the roaming policy at Fido (and Rogers) has been "simplified", forcing me to pay $7.99 for every 24 hours of data usage, up to 50 MB per day.  Highway Robbery.  If I send one email per day on a one-week trip, I'll incur $56 (plus tax, of course) in data roaming charges.  I guess I'll look into a US SIM card the next time I travel.

And the big 3 wonder why Canadians are applauding the possibility of Verizon entering our market.....

While I would prefer that Fido implement a roaming policy that disabled roaming until you explicitly request that it be enabled, this $8 pack is actually a positive move on their part. In the past, if you didn't get a data pack, you might incur roaming charges as high as $30/MB. So that same example you gave of checking one email a day might have cost you $210 for a week. Now, as long as you stay under 50MB per day, the default is $8. That seems much more fair than their old PPU charges.

If you used to use roaming packs to prepay your usage, then you still can. No change in that sense, other than when you don't have one, the default package is much better.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Former Moderator FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey everyone, 

Just a heads up, something awesome is coming... 

Check it out 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5