Roaming in US without prior data plan

SOLVED
ibrahimsya
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello Fido Community,

I use Fido service without any data plan, and I have been in USA for a week. In USA, I used google map to navigate my way, assuming that I will not use any Fido data since I don't have data plan.

First days in USA, I received some text messages about roaming data option, but I was busy with a conference.

Now, I found that I have to pay about $170 due to data usage.

How can Fido provide a data service without consent or consulting, since I opted not to have data plan?

I did not make calls or texting as I was clear I will pay for that, but I never know that I will be charged for data usage. I had several free wireless that I used for Whatsapp call and email access.

If anyone has advice or commenet, please do.

Thank you

Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming in US without prior data plan

Solved by Moderator

Hey @ibrahimsya!

I can definitely clear this up for you!

When you're on our network and you have no data plan, if you try to access data then you will get a message asking you to purchase a data pass. This happens because you're on your home network (the Fido network) and it recognises that you have no data plan.

When you're travelling though, things are a little different. Since you're on a foreign network, that network operator (in your case the American network) has no way of knowing that you have no data plan when you're back home. As you have a smartphone the American network will send a data connection to your phone and if data roaming is turned on manually (it's set to off by default), then data will connect and be usable (which was the case since you were able to use data)

On our end, we do send notifications in order to let you know of any applicable fees. These are sent once you enter the US in order to notify you of the fees. Data is also blocked at $100 of data roaming charges, and we send you a message letting you know where you must accept in order to go beyond $100 of usage.

I hope this clears it up!

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
FidoNick

Hey @ibrahimsya!

I can definitely clear this up for you!

When you're on our network and you have no data plan, if you try to access data then you will get a message asking you to purchase a data pass. This happens because you're on your home network (the Fido network) and it recognises that you have no data plan.

When you're travelling though, things are a little different. Since you're on a foreign network, that network operator (in your case the American network) has no way of knowing that you have no data plan when you're back home. As you have a smartphone the American network will send a data connection to your phone and if data roaming is turned on manually (it's set to off by default), then data will connect and be usable (which was the case since you were able to use data)

On our end, we do send notifications in order to let you know of any applicable fees. These are sent once you enter the US in order to notify you of the fees. Data is also blocked at $100 of data roaming charges, and we send you a message letting you know where you must accept in order to go beyond $100 of usage.

I hope this clears it up!