Roaming charges

I'm a Participant Level 3 Stfn
I'm a Participant Level 3

Roaming charges

Click here
Hi. Yesterday I flew from Toronto to Sofia, Bulgaria. During the flight my phone was powered off. Upon landing in Sofia I powered it on with the intention to use the wifi service provided at the Sofia airport. Right after power on I received a text welcoming me abroad and informing me I got roaming service at the price of 12$ a day. Was I charged these 12$ yesterday? Will I get charged another 12$ if I power on my phone again today? It was not very clear whether I had to explicitly do something to activate this service or was it activated (and charged) automatically by me simply powering my phone on abroad?

Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming charges

Hey @Stfn

Welcome to the Community!

With your Fido postpaid Plan, you benefit from Fido Roam and the text message you received is sent to customers when they reach a covered destination stating the rates of the service. 

Fido Roam allows you to stay connected while travelling without sweating the bill. You can use you plan just as if you were in Canada!

As far as the charge goes, it's $12 per 24 hours. Rest assured though, we only bill you if there's any usage detected through the Fido SIM card in your device.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 11
Solution

Hey @Stfn

Welcome to the Community!

With your Fido postpaid Plan, you benefit from Fido Roam and the text message you received is sent to customers when they reach a covered destination stating the rates of the service. 

Fido Roam allows you to stay connected while travelling without sweating the bill. You can use you plan just as if you were in Canada!

As far as the charge goes, it's $12 per 24 hours. Rest assured though, we only bill you if there's any usage detected through the Fido SIM card in your device.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 11

Thanks, FidoSaira

What constitutes "usage" in this case? Obviously outgoing calls, texts or browsing the Internet will be usage, but how about incoming, for example:

- incoming call that I answer. Reason I'm asking is here in Bulgaria operators never charge for incoming calls

- incoming call that I reject

- incoming call that I ignore and it goes to my voicemail

- listening to a voicemail

- incoming texts from Fido like the one I received yesterday

- incoming texts from other numbers, both local in Bulgaria and from Canada or USA

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 11
MVP
MVP

Hello Stfn,

Welcome to the community!

Unlike some European countries, most mobile providers in North America consider incoming calls as airtime and therefore would be considered usage.

So, if you answer a call (from anywhere) it would be considered usage and incur the roaming fee.

You should note that rejecting a call is not the same as not answering a call. If you reject a call, the call gets forwarded to your voicemail via a foreign network and would incur the roaming fee. On the other hand, if you ignore a call, it goes to your voicemail via the Fido networks and does not incur any fees. However, listening to your voicemail would be considered usage.

Incoming SMS from anyone would not incur any roaming charges. However, you should note that the data portion of a MMS (sent or received) would be considered roaming data and incur roaming fee. In addition, you should also note that MMS do not get sent via Wifi. If you are concerned regarding inadvertently incurring roaming charges for receiving MMS, your phone might have settings to automatically download MMS content. Switching that setting to manual or disabling that feature should prevent inadvertent MMS data download. You will still receive notification via SMS (not charged) that you received a MMS and the option to download the content of the MMS.

If you do not wish to use any services while you are outside of Canada, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode on your device. You can then selectively enable Wifi for use with local area networks.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 11
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

it would be cheaper to use an EU sim card, then fido sim, use the airplane mode (until u get an EU sim), check ur voicemail using google talk/hangouts,

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 11
MVP
MVP

@patrickchan wrote:...check ur voicemail using google talk/hangouts,..

Hello Patrickchan,

Are you sure checking voicemail using google talk/hangouts won't still incur roaming fees? At one point, checking voicemail from a landline was also considered airtime (see here). If this is still true, checking voicemail from google talk/hangouts etc would still be considered airtime and therefore usage, and likely incur the daily roaming fee -- even though you're not using a Fido SIM.

Could a moderator please verify whether this is correct?

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted

Hey @Stfn!

@Cawtau is absolutely correct :

• Incoming SMS are not charged.
  • Sent SMS are charged.
  • All calls, incoming or outgoing done through the mobile device using the Fido SIM card will be charged.
  • Data usage done with the same Fido SIM will also be charged.

All in all, we track the usage using the Fido SIM card. So calling your own voicemail to listen to a message is in fact a call and will be charged. Since you are situated overseas, that will be an international call rerouted back to Canada. Alternatively, if you use a non-Fido SIM, nothing will be charged even when you call your own voicemail. This also applies to landlines :).

We also don't know much about Google Hangouts as we do not service that! I can suggest testing that service after removing the Fido SIM card, if it can independently function on Wi-Fi, airtime will not be affected.

Let us know if you have more questions, we're all here to help.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 11

Thank you @Cawtau and @FidoSaira for your answers. That's exactly what I needed!

I need to keep my Fido SIM active while abroad in order to receive urgent notifications from work. I will ask them to either send me texts or call me, where I will let the call unanswered and will then call back via VOIP service over WIFI. If I understand correctly, this will not incur additional chargers from Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 11
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

If you have them send you text messages, you might consider verifying the messages they send are SMS and not MMS. Depending on the device and app they use, SMS might get sent as MMS. For example, my brother-in-law just got a new phone and every message he sends ends up being a MMS. It could be due to some of the settings within the app he uses.

Just a thought...

Have a great trip :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 11

Yes, I will make sure I ask them to send me refular SMS texts only. Also, I will make sure my roaming data is off, and my "automatically download MMS content" setting is disabled or manual, as you advised.

And hey, if once in a while I have to actually take or make some calls, I will use the12$/day roaming feature, which is usefull by its own - that's not a problem, as long as I know it will not get triggered every day of my 4-weeks vacation by a random MMS or a call that reject (i know i have to let it ring through now)

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 11
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

hi

when i can in Hong Kong, i used my LG GpadIII to call my fido voicemail to check voicemail (make sure that u have google access (i.e. mainland China cannot use google voice or services). i also used an Hong Kong sim, not an fido sim, as i do not want may roaming fees.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 11