Roaming charge

Roaming charge

Roaming charge

SOLVED
647-Jane
I'm a Participant Level 2

Roaming charge

Dear Sir/ Madam.

I always use Wi-Fi on my mobile phone while I was visited China for several days. I got charge for Roaming.

Is that possible to discharge from my billing , since this is my first time experience ?

Would be appreciate your services.

Sincerely yours,

Jane

Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming charge

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello 647-Jane,

Welcome to the community!

I understand you tried to use Wifi everywhere when you were in China. Was your data enabled? If it was, your phone might have connected to the mobile networks without your realising it.

Also, did you receive any calls which you declined or rejected? You should note that if you did, you would get charged for roaming because the call would have been forwarded to your voicemail from a foreign network. On the other hand, if you received a call which you let ring through, it would have been forwarded to your voicemail via Fido's network (no roaming).

**edit** Also, did you receive any MMS while you were abroad? The data within MMS would be considered roaming data**

As noted by FidoNick, any use of the mobile services will trigger roaming charges.

For the future, if you do not intend on using any mobile services, you might consider enabling airplane mode on your phone and then enabling Wifi. Alternatively, you might also consider removing the SIM card.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
4 REPLIES 4
FidoNick

Hey Jane!

Did you send any texts, or answer/make calls while you were in China? It's important to keep in mind that it isn't just data that will trigger roaming charges, but talk and text usage as well.

Let us know and we'll go from there! Smiley

647-Jane
I'm a Participant Level 2

Text & phone did not bother me much, but data which I always use local Wifi.

I use less that my plan, cost me double.

That's not fair, isn't it ?

Hello 647-Jane,

Welcome to the community!

I understand you tried to use Wifi everywhere when you were in China. Was your data enabled? If it was, your phone might have connected to the mobile networks without your realising it.

Also, did you receive any calls which you declined or rejected? You should note that if you did, you would get charged for roaming because the call would have been forwarded to your voicemail from a foreign network. On the other hand, if you received a call which you let ring through, it would have been forwarded to your voicemail via Fido's network (no roaming).

**edit** Also, did you receive any MMS while you were abroad? The data within MMS would be considered roaming data**

As noted by FidoNick, any use of the mobile services will trigger roaming charges.

For the future, if you do not intend on using any mobile services, you might consider enabling airplane mode on your phone and then enabling Wifi. Alternatively, you might also consider removing the SIM card.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

@647-Jane

You definitely won't be charged the same if you use your phone outside of Canada.

You can find all of our roaming rates here.