Roaming VS Long Distance charges

SOLVED
Hala13
I'm a Participant Level 1

So if I call from here Canada with my Canadian number to my friend in the USA ( her number is American ) should I pay roaming charges? Like will I be charged?

Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming VS Long Distance charges

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Hala13,

Welcome to the community!

Roaming only applies when your phone or device is connected to a network other than the Fido/Rogers network. While it is possible to roam on other Canadian networks, there are agreements in place to allow for temporary usage without additional cost (see Extended Coverage). So additional roaming charges would only apply when your phone is used outside of Canada.

However, if you are calling a number outside of Canada (even if your friend was visiting Canada but had her USA cellular phone with her), you would be charged for long-distance (plus airtime). The rates for calling the US are shown below:

USA.jpg

Taken from here.

**edit** Note: If your plan does not have Canada-wide calling, certain calls within Canada may also be considered long-distance**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Hala13,

Welcome to the community!

Roaming only applies when your phone or device is connected to a network other than the Fido/Rogers network. While it is possible to roam on other Canadian networks, there are agreements in place to allow for temporary usage without additional cost (see Extended Coverage). So additional roaming charges would only apply when your phone is used outside of Canada.

However, if you are calling a number outside of Canada (even if your friend was visiting Canada but had her USA cellular phone with her), you would be charged for long-distance (plus airtime). The rates for calling the US are shown below:

USA.jpg

Taken from here.

**edit** Note: If your plan does not have Canada-wide calling, certain calls within Canada may also be considered long-distance**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers