Roaming Turned off but only 50KB of data used when arrived in Carribean

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

suzyb
I'm a Contributor Level 1

My Roaming Turned off before I went on vacation, but when I got my bill only 50KB of data used when arrived in Carribean.  Like some sort of handshake happens when I arrived.  And I got charged for a full day of roaming data usage.

This happened to me before when I went to Europe last summer.

Anyone know what/why this happens?

I have an unlocked iphone5

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@suzyb wrote:

My Roaming Turned off before I went on vacation, but when I got my bill only 50KB of data used when arrived in Carribean.  Like some sort of handshake happens when I arrived.  And I got charged for a full day of roaming data usage.

This happened to me before when I went to Europe last summer.

Anyone know what/why this happens?

I have an unlocked iphone5

Hello Suzyb,

Apparently it's a known issue with some iPhones. For some reason, some system services still use data even if cellular data and roaming data are turned off (see here and here). If you contact customer service, they may be able to get the charges reversed.

From what I can tell, there doesn't seem to be an answer to why some services still use data even though everything is off. Someone suggested it's unlocked iPhones, but I'm not sure if that has been confirmed or why that would be the case. For future reference, you might consider testing your phone yourself:

A) Turn off cellular data & roaming data

B) Turn on airplane mode

C) Turn on airplane mode and turn wifi back on

and see what services are using data.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey Suzyb

On our end, If Mobile Data was turned Off, it shouldn't connect at all, even accidentally!

I'll be sending you a PM so we can look into this further 😃