Roaming Charge while data off (for 12 KB)

TiloFido
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi, 

I got charge for roaming while my phone Mobile Data was off. 

Day 1 USA, AT&T MOBILITY RM 67 KB
Day 2 USA, AT&T MOBILITY RM 38 KB

Another time

Tue ER 29 KB
Wed ER 66 KB
Thu ER 36 KB
Fri ER 12 KB
Sat ER 18 KB 

Not sure what is going on here but can Fido not simple only charge when at least 100 KB was used that day? 

Clearly I can't have done much with 12 KB.  

11 REPLIES 11
FidoPhilippe

Hi @TiloFido!

The billing starts pretty much from the moment it is used.

Please tell me, was your mobile data turned off or was it only the mobile data roaming off?

Let us know. Smiley

TiloFido

first time only Roaming, 

second time Roaming and Mobile Data was OFF

Phone Android 8.1

To add to @FidoRanya's reply, the important point is that you must disable Data Roaming when leaving the country. 

Now I understand there was only a small amount used, did you ever close the background data on your apps? 

TiloFido

I disable roaming / mobile data before. 

Hey @TiloFido

That's definitely odd then.  I'll send you a PM so that we can take a look at this together.

Talk to you soon!

TiloFido

@FidoJulien I'm going down to US next month. Any tips how I can troubleshoot this or avoid this? 

Manual change the APN maybe?

Hey @TiloFido,

To avoid any roaming charges, having your roaming data turned off and your device on airplane mode should ensure that no usage is being made (calls, texts or data). Alternatively, we can also apply a restriction on our end to your services while you are abroad.

We can look into this option together if you don't plan on using you phone other than with Wi-Fi while overseas. I'll sent you a PM to follow up with you on your request.

TiloFido

How flexiable can you enable/disable data roaming on your end? 

Hey @TiloFido

Though we offer some restrictions to block all of roaming services, to disable/enable Data Roaming specifically, it has to be done from the phone's settings. 

Feel free to reply to our most recent PM if you would like us to take a closer look into your account details together. 

Thanks for clarifying @TiloFido .

Had data roaming been off, data wouldn't have been used. It's important to make sure your data roaming is off or to reach out to us to block the usage prior to your departure . 

Although you are under the impression that no data is being used, keep in mind that the phone might still be using data through apps that are running in the background or automatic updates etc. 

TiloFido

@FidoRanya you just accuse me of lying. Which I don't appreciate. 

I can assure you roaming was off and second time even mobile data. If data was ON how can a modern smartphone today only use 12-66KB a day? 

how is that possible, I don't know. Glitch at Fido/US provider? Glitch in phone?

To troubleshoot I would need Fido to provide me what server/IP was hit to consume the data. 

also that is why I state/suggest in my first post:

Can Fido only charge when at least 100 KB was used a day? 

Clearly I can't have done much with 12 KB.