Retention

I'm a Contributor Level 1 Telus
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Retention

Does Fido still have retention dept to take care long time customer?

For the past few years, I have had trouble getting the services I needed when it comes to plan pricing.

It has been very competitive in the last few years, whenever one company gets a new lower price plan, others will always followed.

Last year, when I called Fido retention, asked if they will match a Wind Mobile plan, the anser is no because its competitor is Koodo and Virgin Mobile, Wind Mobile doesn't have good coverage.

In just 6 month from my last call, Koodo just rolled out a new promotional plan which Fido and Virgin Mobile also rolled out, all other carriers included voice mail but Fido doesn't because the customer service I talked to said the Spotify premium is included.  

I told them there is apps that can do the same for free and I don't need spotify at all, but was told SOL, it's not an option,  So it's either get it or don't.

And I also got another lower usage phone, and asked about other retention plan to match, similar to Koodo, now the customer service said, Koodo is not their competitor, so can't match????

I was like, you guys said differently before, but the CS said, it was before, it's now, and they don't match??

I was really choked at the anser and simply hung up,  

Accepted Solution

Re: Retention

Hi Telus,

we do have a customer relations department taking care of looking into available promotions for long times customers. We certainly don't want our customers to feel like hanging up during a call with the customer service.

I would like to look at your options. I'm contacting you now by Private Message so that we can verify your account together Smiley

- Kenny

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 61
I'm a Participant Level 3 Gale
I'm a Participant Level 3

I'm in the process of potentially renewing both my wife's line and my own. In the discussion I had with 3 different fido reps, I was lead to believe that the incentives would keep me with fido. Not to mention the information they provided individually was also different, it made it confusing to make a decision. I have now entertained offers from different competitors.
Also, I tried to convince my father to leave Telus and move over to Fido and also was quoted better prices but when he actually agreed, and I addressed this with the rep, to match or improve, they said there was nothing they could do.
That's a great experience isn't it?
I wasted too much time.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 61
I'm a Participant Level 3 Gale

Ps
I have been with Fido for about 13 years and my wife for 15.
We were there when they were drowning and needed customers to stay. They eventually were taken under Rogers umbrella but we didn't leave.
As a "loyalty" offer for a renewal contract, they will cerdit each account for 25$ and waive the 25 admin fee.
That's a nice slap in the face after 15$. I can see how important I am to Fido.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 61
Former Moderator FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hey Gale!

Thanks for your loyalty to Fido! We appreciate that a lot, we make our best to give you the best offer possible, however, keep in mind that we can't offer you something that we don't have.

I'll take a look at your account and see what can be done with your renewals.

I'll send you a PM in a few minutes.

-FidoManuel

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 61
I'm a Participant Level 3 Moserg

Hello everyone.

Looks like we are all in the same boat and we are screwed…
Even CRTC can’t put leash on the BIG THREE.
Me and my wife were with Rogers for 10 years and with FIDO more then 2.
All these small cell company have been created to add some competition – and what we are seeing now – all of them own by big three.
I tried to get some more data and whatever I was offered only published price which I can get anyway. What is a joke…
And “Retention” agent said I can go to Rogers or Mobilicity (which I have mentioned with better plans to offer) they don’t care – all money will be ending up in very same “pocket”.
What is the joke this competition….
I’ll definitely will go anywhere from Rogers owned…. Even without price advantages.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 61
MVP
MVP

@Moserg wrote:

... Mobilicity (which I have mentioned with better plans to offer)...

Hello Moserg,

Welcome to the forums!

I trust you are aware that Mobilicity's plans might only seem better. While they have recently migrated to the Rogers network, there are some important considerations to note.

For the moment, their service will only be provided on the '3G' network as there are no current plans to offer LTE to Mobilicity customers. It is also worth noting that they are still subject to Mobilicity’s fair use policies, meaning that the carrier holds the right to reduce bandwith to its customers for “excess usage.” 

In addition, Rogers also confirmed that it will be maintaining Mobilicity’s current Home and Away zones, meaning that despite having access to a national network, customers will still be limited to the five current markets: Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Outside of those areas, will be considered roaming.

Of course, their service might suit some people. However, sometimes you're just not paying for what you're not getting.

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 61

Hi Cawtau

I aware of most things you have mentioned, I just pissed how reps responded.

I didn't ask much - and for loyalty they offer me 5$ off for 6 months....

And I hate this unfairness in competition...

I often travelling - in Europe I can get 1GB for 14Euro, all incoming call free, in Russia I got two sim card with voice and data unlim for 14 days for less then 10USD, in Belarus I got 16Gb of data for just below 8USD.

South of the border you can get 2GB 4G and after unlim 2G for 40 buck with rouming really like in home (not 5$/day "like in home") US+Canada+Mexico.

Looks like only Canadian ready to pay to BIG THREE 100 buck and ask them politely to provide the service.... 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 61

One more question - why is so big difference for Quebec residents and Ontarian. Is the guy from Qc sitting just in same cubicle as me (I'm in Ottawa and here a lot of Qc people working here) 50% better then me ?

I don't think the difference in the taxes give 15 bucks difference in the plan? 49CAD vs 34CAD - same plan for different province...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 61
Former Moderator FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hey Moserg!

Just think about the gas price that changes from a province to the other! Different markets have different prices! 

Also, keep in mind that there's wireless service providers in Ontario that don't exist in Quebec. That has another impact on the pricing we offer. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 61
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

It's called "capitalism": charge as much as the customers are willing to pay.

There's something that drives that price down in Québec - probably competition; my guess would be Vidéotron. Koodo was the first that I'm aware was offering 1GB for $34/month, though I don't know what triggered that promotion; Fido only followed suit 3 weeks later.

Manitoba gets 5GB for $48/month, Québec gets that for $60, Ontario has to pay $84 (promotional price, usually $90).

There are two ways Fido (and others) will lower the prices in Ontario: either the competition lowers the price (probably in an attempt to drive customers to them), or people just stop taking those plans (at $49 / $55). But as long as there are enough people willing to put up with that price, there's little reason for the carriers to lower it.

This applies to every business using the capitalist model.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 61

I mostly agree with your conclusions related to competition. But this is called "Monopolism/Imperialism". In capitalism competition exists and not regulated by three big 'interested' parties. I remember a while ago Egiptian company would like to get into canadian cell phone market (with good plans and a lot of money to build own infrastructure), but CRTC blocked this because it will hurm Canadians company (Rogers, Telus and Bell), they don't care how those three hurm Canadian people. Yes, in QC it is Videotron, in Manitoba MTS.... And price there twice as lower as rest of Canada.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 61

To FidoManuel - gas prices difference mostly because of taxes, not competition. And they aren't 50% different. Not good example. Initial price of gas/oil w/o taxes pretty same everywhere (except Alberta where delivery price is close to 0). Your delivery price of cell service all around country pretty same. There is no difference cost of hardware in ON or QC. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 61
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Monopolism / imperialism is a natural outcome of capitalism. It is only kept in check through gouvernment regulation.

I didn't know about that Egyptian thing, so I had to look it up: the company is Orascom, and that thing happened in 2009. But the conclusion that the CRTC blocked them because "it would hurt the big 3" is an emotional interpretation made to fit the desired conclusion.

In 1993, parliament passed the Telecommunication Act, which clearly states that a common carrier must be owned by Canadian interests. The proposed company would have been owned at around 63% by Orascom, which would have been in violation of the Telecommunication Act. So the CRTC did not have any choice - the law prevented it from accepting this new carrier.

Had the goal of the Telecommunication Act been to "protect the big 3", it would have prevented the creation of any new players since then, like Microcell, Clearnet, Public Mobile, and Vidéotron. And considering that Telus wasn't a cellular player at that time, it wasn't part of "the big 3".

Yes, the small players were bought by the big ones. That, again, is capitalism.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 61
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@Moserg wrote:

To FidoManuel - gas prices difference mostly because of taxes, not competition. And they aren't 50% different. Not good example. Initial price of gas/oil w/o taxes pretty same everywhere (except Alberta where delivery price is close to 0). Your delivery price of cell service all around country pretty same. There is no difference cost of hardware in ON or QC. 

The answer given by FidoManuel would be the standard PR/marketing answer - a vague non-answer. That marketing "answer" has been ready from the beginning.

Because the correct answer ("people will still pay that price") is not good PR.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 28 of 61
I'm a Participant Level 3 zzzzzzzzzzzzzz1

Retention Farce

I have been with Fido since 1998 and currently on a BYOD plan paying $49/month for unlimited minutes with 1 GB of data. I called today, asking about getting a new iPhone 6 or 6s, w 64 GB. The rep told me that, buying the phones outright, it would be $774 for the 6/64 and $1029 for the 6s/64. After some further discussion, I asked for retention.

Retention treated me to

1. A higher proce for the 6/64 ($905);

2. A virtually fraudulent effort to persuade me that the following deal would be to my benefit: $549 for the 6/64 and $70/month for substantially the same plan as I have now. Let's do the math on this one:

549 (for the 6/64)

504 ($21 per month over current plan X 24 months)

$1053

That's significantly more than either the $774 unlocked price I was offered by the first rep or the higher $905 price offered by retention. I did the math with the rep, and he responded with something to the effect that I am entitled to my "opinion". This is, of course, not an opinion, but math.

My *opinion* is that it was a dishonest attempt to deceive me. My opinion is that Fido holds its long term customers in low regard and does not value their continued business. Certainly, I don't see how this had anything to do with retention.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 29 of 61
Former Moderator FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Re: Retention Farce

Hi zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1

and Welcome to the Community. 

It's important to keep in mind that the discount on the phone is related to the plan category and not the plan itself.

A BYOP plan will offer no discount on a new phone. You can view the pricing yourself over here

We currently offer a dicscount on the iPhone 6s and 6s plus only with a MAX plan.(We have different pricing available in MAX plans and they all offer the same discount on the phone)

If you want to discuss your options, send us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to review the possibilities!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 30 of 61