Retention and customer loyalty

SOLVED
olive121
I'm a Participant Level 2

I think everyone has spent countless hours talking to agents over the phone and chats. I was curious as to if the retention department still exists or if it is just 'another hat' that sales wears when talking to customers.  I have been with Fido for 10+ years and are becoming very frustrated.  When looking at renewing my contract I am almost pressured out of my grandfathered data plan because of the price of getting a new phone.  You either pay more for the phone and less for the plan or vice versa.  I was told i was getting a good deal for beoing loyal but in fact was being offered the exact same contract as iff I was signing up online. I happen to get one good rep that heard what I was saying and they did try to help.  In the overall scheme of things I am still left with a bad feeling as I have been pressured into one direction and have to pay a crazy amount for a phone that will soon be yesterdays older model  (iphone 6s 128gb)

I am still deciding whether to switch providers or not.

Accepted Solution

Re: Retention and customer loyalty

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAmanda

Hey olive121!

We absolutely get where you're coming from and we understand the value of getting a good deal!  

We'd hate to see you go, but, the reality is that premium smartphone prices have gone up over the last few years, for all companies. We know our customers want the latest phones, but more importantly at a price they can afford. To be able to give you similar device savings to the ones you got last time you upgraded, we had to revisit the rules around which plans can get maximum device savings.

We would never force or pressure you to change your plan! 

You can choose what works best for you. If you would prefer to keep the plan you have today, than you may have to pay a little more upfront for your phone.

If you'd like us to take a second look over your options with you, let us know and we'll send a PM your way. 

View solution in context
12 REPLIES 12
Karlas72
I'm a Participant Level 1

The phones have always been expensive, it’s relative each year  but that didn’t stop FIDO from giving people with grandfathers packages a phone then. Even last year it was allowed.   Now you are pressuring people to change their good plan to something more expensive with the same or less features.    Zero loyalty from FIDO.  

Hello Karlas72,

Welcome to the community!

Karlas72 wrote: ... it’s relative each year...  

That's not true. In fact, that's the core issue. The cost of grandfathered plans -- more precisely, the subsidy attached -- does not increase relative to the rising cost of phones. That's the beauty of grandfather plans... provided one does not wish to upgrade regularly. Sure, the subsidy may be sufficient for a new phone for a few upgrades (obviously depending on the phones), but at some point the cost of new phones is greater than what subsidy can accommodate.That's why you were able to get a phone with your current plan last year, but would need to increase the amount of subsidy with this upgrade. Note that increasing the amount of subsidy may be reflected as being more expensive with same or less features.

Imagine you had a gift card from Best Buy for X dollars. Last year, X dollars was sufficient to purchase a new phone. This year, you're looking to purchase a new phone, but it costs X+Y dollars. That gift card would not be sufficient to purchase that new phone. Do you expect Best Buy to make up the Y dollar difference because you're a loyal customer? Yes, there may be some subtle differences between my analogy and subscribing to a service, but the premise is the same.

Some companies might be willing to reduce profits in the name of loyalty discounts. However, making up the Y dollar difference on a phone is not reducing profits, it's taking a loss on the phone.

Unfortunately, I also believe that the good ol' days of deep loyalty discounts are over. As already noted, loyalty discounts are afforded by reducing profits. These days, the profit margins are not what the used to be. There is little room for discounts. No company is going to lose money in the name of loyalty.

**edit** No one's pressuring you to change your plan. You are more than welcome to keep your grandfathered plan. You would just have to purchase your new phone outright. It's your decision whether to subsidise a new phone. However, if you subsidise, you will need to upgrade your plan**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

cosoesa
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello. Not sure if this thread is still active. However, I'm experiencing something similar where I'm a long time (12 years) Fido customer and currently with my contract expiring, I'm considering options. As a matter of fact, Fido has not been offering plans with incentives to stay compared to offers from competitors that are attractive enough for me to just port over both lines under my account.

If someone is able to assist me in this matter, I'd appreciate it many times over.

Hello Cosoesa,

Welcome to the community!

When you're comparing the different providers, make sure you're comparing similar services. Their plans might seem attractive, however, their network (or services offered) might not necessarily suit your needs.

For example, Chatr does not offer LTE -- even though they use Rogers' networks. Public Mobile does not offer any customer service. As well, the coverage of some of the providers (ie Freedom) is not as widespread. They are still limited by Home and Away networks. Furthermore, depending on where you live, you might have to get a new phone just to avail of their LTE network. If you decide you would like a new phone anyways, you should also note that there are still relatively few phones with that particular LTE band/frequency... Often you're just not paying for what you're not getting.

I'm not trying to sway your decision either way. Just make sure the services of the mobile provider you choose serves your needs.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Hey @cosoesa, thanks for reaching out Smiley

We can verify your options here.

For future reference, for anything related to your account, you do have the option to reach us through our other channels here.

I'm sending you a PM now to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon.

Teddi

are there any current incentives/ plans available for long time fido subscribers? any "plan" matching?

FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hi @Teddi

Was there something specific you were looking for? We can definitely verify your options here.

For future reference, for anything related to your account, you do have the option to reach us through our other channels here.

I'm sending you a PM now to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon Smiley 

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey olive121!

We absolutely get where you're coming from and we understand the value of getting a good deal!  

We'd hate to see you go, but, the reality is that premium smartphone prices have gone up over the last few years, for all companies. We know our customers want the latest phones, but more importantly at a price they can afford. To be able to give you similar device savings to the ones you got last time you upgraded, we had to revisit the rules around which plans can get maximum device savings.

We would never force or pressure you to change your plan! 

You can choose what works best for you. If you would prefer to keep the plan you have today, than you may have to pay a little more upfront for your phone.

If you'd like us to take a second look over your options with you, let us know and we'll send a PM your way. 

Teddi

What are the current deals for customer loyalty? Thanks.

olive121

thanks  you can PM me  im just now talking again with sales people.  

@olive21

Ok then Smiley

PM coming your way.

Talk to you soon !!

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@olive121 I feel your frustration but with phone prices so high and if you switch to another provider it will be the samething its either you pay a higher upfront cost for the phone and get a lower monthly plan or pay a higher monthly fee and get the phone cheaper upfront.

What you need to do is look at the over all cost you will be paying in the 24 months to make a better decision.