Reservation System - impact on cost of the phone?

SOLVED
Jey047
I'm a Participant Level 2

Please be aware that if you reserved the new samsung phone (and probably also the iphone),  with a 2 year contract you're paying $200 more for the phone than someone who just walks into a fido store off the street and buys the same phone with a 2 year contract.

I discovered this yesterday when I went to pick up my new Galaxy S7 Edge, which I had reserved in advance, thanks to an honest and helpful employee there.

He showed me that since I had reserved the Galaxy S7 Edge, with a 2 year contract, the phone would cost me $650 (including the $40 reservation fee).  However, if I didn't have a reservation, the same phone with a 2 year contract would cost me only $450.

I didn't believe him at first and had him walk me through it all a couple of times, but it's true.  I ended up having him cancel my reservation (losing my $40 deposit in the process) and buying the exact same phone that I had reserved for $450 (plus the lost deposit) - $490 total.

Since Fido offered these reservations to existing customers only, they're basically treating existing customers like trash; ripping us off, because unless you compare your price with someone you know who didn't make a reservation or unless you encounter a good and honest Fido employee who tells you that you're being ripped off, there's no way for you to know.

If you haven't made your reservation yet - DON'T

If you have - CANCEL it and just walk into a fido store and buy your new phone with contract there, like you probably would have done if fido hadn't emailed you the offer to make the reservation and be the first to get your new phone without waiting in line.

Accepted Solution

RE - Reservation System - impact on cost of the phone?

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAlyson

Hey @Jey047

Welcome to the community!

Looks like there's been a misunderstanding here! Allow me to clarify!

The reservation has NO impact on the cost of the phone and the reservation fee is credited back as soon as you pick up your handset.

Here's what DO impact the cost of the phone:

Your Plan. 

The phone is $650 on a STANDARD plan which I am guessing you have right now  and $400 on a MAX plan.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge si not offered at $450 under any monthly plan.

If you want to change your SMART over to a MAX plan, we'll be happy to adjust the cost of the phone accordingly! 

It's important to understand that the subsidy received on your new device is different depending on your plan category.

Higher plan = Higher Subsidy.

I hope this clarified everything for you Smiley

Don't hesitate to reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter if you need any help changing your plan!

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey @Jey047

Welcome to the community!

Looks like there's been a misunderstanding here! Allow me to clarify!

The reservation has NO impact on the cost of the phone and the reservation fee is credited back as soon as you pick up your handset.

Here's what DO impact the cost of the phone:

Your Plan. 

The phone is $650 on a STANDARD plan which I am guessing you have right now  and $400 on a MAX plan.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge si not offered at $450 under any monthly plan.

If you want to change your SMART over to a MAX plan, we'll be happy to adjust the cost of the phone accordingly! 

It's important to understand that the subsidy received on your new device is different depending on your plan category.

Higher plan = Higher Subsidy.

I hope this clarified everything for you Smiley

Don't hesitate to reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter if you need any help changing your plan!

Jey047
I'm a Participant Level 2

You would be correct in another situation, except that I insisted that I keep my current plan, so both options (reservation or walk-in) looked at the cost of the phone with the same plan (the one I already had).

So different plan options was not a factor in the cost of the phone.  Wanna try again?

I'll go ahead and send you a PM @Jey047 Smiley

I'm sure I'll be able to clear things out for you!