Renewal and New Contract

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Renewal and New Contract

Hi,

I become eligeable for renewal of the contract on December 28, 2010. My contract is set to expire on July 1, 2011.

I'm going to sign up for the new 3 year contract. The question is, when does the clock start ticking, is it starting July 1, 2011, or is it December 28, 2010?

Asking because I was told that if I switch to Rogers, on December 28, and sign a new 3 year contract, they will waive the remainder of the Fido contract.

Please shine some clarity on this matter,

Regards,

Accepted Solution

Re: Renewal and New Contract

That is a shame. As someone who has been with Fido for a long time and helped convert at least a dozen people to Fido in the early years, that is difficult to hear. But with the policies becoming what they are, it isn't entirely unexpected anymore. Of everyone I switched to Fido and others that were there on their own, I now know only one other person on Fido and that's my dad. He won't leave unless I do and he will leave when I do.

Remember what Fido was?

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 20
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

That is a shame. As someone who has been with Fido for a long time and helped convert at least a dozen people to Fido in the early years, that is difficult to hear. But with the policies becoming what they are, it isn't entirely unexpected anymore. Of everyone I switched to Fido and others that were there on their own, I now know only one other person on Fido and that's my dad. He won't leave unless I do and he will leave when I do.

Remember what Fido was?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 20
Highlighted

Exactly, when I switched from Telus to Fido, I didn't even care, Telus was jus a bad company. However, I really like Fido, and it sucks that I am going to leave because of the feature that is very important to say the least. I feel that if I stay with 3.6 year contract, it will not be before long I reach the 50 months limit as I like to stay updated with technology. With 3.6 years of contract, the next time I can switch is at the end of the year 3. Sad

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 20
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

when fido was a baby company and had no contracts, people gladly paid full price for the phones they offered, don't forget about those times too.

--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 20
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Paolo, yes exactly. Those were the days that Fido was considered innovative and avante garde. They were not considered a budget brand but a boutique brand. Those policies you mention of no contracts and no subsidies sound familiar. Oh, that is Wind today. Similar buzz around Wind that Fido had in their glory days too. 

But that weren't when Fido was a 'baby' company. That was when Fido was an independent, innovative underdog. Very similar to Apple of the late 90s and a similar cult like following. Apple stayed true to their ideals and their fans and look where they are today.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 20
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Interesting reading about Rogers waiving the ECF when you switch to them. I also had to stack contracts when I got my new iPhone and am very annoyed about it. I'll consider switching to Rogers when I find a plan that suits me. Contract stacking is the worst of Fido, and for some like me, that would be enough of a reason to change carriers. I was a long date Fido customer and brought a lot of people with me to Fido, but if they keep insisting on stacking contracts when obviously the userbase does not wish for such a thing, I'll leave Fido, and all those friends of mine with me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 20
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@kagehoshi if you do decide to leave because of stack, do the rest of us a favour and write to the Fido executive team and explain you reason for leaving Fido.

Also, if you did just buy a new iPhone, when you port your account, I think you can now have them unlock your phone for $50. So, when you go to Rogers and get a new iPhone, you can use your unlocked Fido iPhone and sell the Rogers phone..or vise versa. End up ahead either way.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 20
Highlighted

You might want to ask yourself why Rogers is willing to be so generous.  Could they be making so much money on the handset switch that they can afford to forgive a year of the contract?  I'm new to Fido and it's great to hear that contract-stacking is the worst of their sins.  I buy my own phone second-hand and don't have a contract so I'm going to be a pretty happy camper.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 20
Highlighted

@FidoCustomer of course I won't leave Fido without a word with them, and plan on giving them at least a chance to right their wrongs. I have been loyal to Fido for a long time, and hope for their own good that they get rid of that unfortunate business decision. I'm also not worried about my iPhone since I can unlock it myself, or I can wait until the next promising phone to switch.

The thing is, even without being bound by a contract, I would have stayed with Fido. But this thing about stacking contracts is just wrong. One year before the end of your contract you can get a new phone for +3 years (stacked), which means that if you constantly upgrade, you will always be on a 4 years contract total, with upgrades every 3 years. Whereas with Rogers, they won't stack your contract, meaning you can upgrade every 2 years. The way I see it, the stacking is only there as a warranty to Fido that you are not going to stay with them (since not everyone knows about that Rogers port), which shows the lack of trust (and respect) they have towards customers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 20
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@Minstrel

The reason Rogers would be so 'generous' is because the ECF is only waived for those that port to Rogers from Fido. They own Fido. If you are going to leave Fido, they would like it to be for Rogers so they can continue to receive your money. If you leave and go to Wind, they aren't going to waive your fees. It isn't generosity so much as protecting their self interest.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@kagehohi

It could be worse. Now that Fido only allows you to renew for subsidy in the last 6 months of your contract, the longest contract you should end up with now is 3.5 years. Previous, when they allowed you to HUP with 14 months remaining you ended up with a 50 month contract. Rogers still allows you to HUP in the last 12 months and also does not stack, so even with 12 months remain, the longest contract you end up with is 3 years. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 20