Refill prepaid account with foreign (non-Canadian) credit card

marcusp
I'm a Participant Level 2

Why does Fido discriminate against nationality, when deciding who can use a credit card to top-up a prepaid account?  I'm not Canadian.  Fido have no problem with me walking into a Fido store and using a British credit card to buy a voucher.  Why am I not allowed to do the same thing online?

5 REPLIES 5
marcusp
I'm a Participant Level 2

@KAPABLE-K I know that Fido won't accept foreign cards online, that's my point. My question is why they won't accept them.  Why are they happy to take my money in store, but not online, when a Canadian's money is fine everywhere?

@Cawtau If they're trying to prevent fraudulent credit card use, they should be taking active steps towards that. Just closing your eyes and ignoring a problem doesn't solve anything.

I think people have missed my point.  There's nothing wrong with my money, and I'm perfectly capable of proving who I am.  I'd like to know why Fido disagree.

marcusp wrote:..

There's nothing wrong with my money, and I'm perfectly capable of proving who I am.  I'd like to know why Fido disagree...

Hello again,

No one is saying there's anything wrong with your money. You can use your credit card in store, right? So your money is perfectly good!

I do understand your frustration, though. When I was living abroad, I could not use a Canadian credit card to purchase credit online from O2 Ireland. I had to get an Irish bank account and local credit card. Getting a Canadian credit card may or may not be feasible for your situation. However, the point is mobile service is not meant to for international purchase. It's the likely same everywhere.

Restricting the use of international credit cards for online purchases not intended for international purchase is taking steps to prevent fraud.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hello @marcusp,

Online transactions are different from POS (in store) transactions. 

The name and address on the prepaid account must match the info on the credit card.

Also Prepaid Visa, Visa Debt, Debit MasterCard and international or third party credit cards aren't accepted. Take from this post here.

EFTC
I'm Qualified Level 1

It might have something to do with your credit card too. For the card holder's protection, a block might have been set up such that on-line transactions from foreign ISP will not be authorized.

Keep in mind that certain merchants might have the right to deny credit cards issued by certain banks due to their reputation. I don't think this is the case but sometimes it can happen.

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Marcusp,

Welcome to the community!

I don't think Fido is discriminating against Nationality. I do think they are trying to prevent fraudulent credit card use. If someone visits a store with a foreign credit card physically in the store, the likelihood of the transaction being legitimate is greater than if the same credit card is used online.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers