Reception on Canada Line in Vancouver

Reception on Canada Line in Vancouver

Reception on Canada Line in Vancouver

SOLVED
yannerd
I'm a Participant Level 1

Reception on Canada Line in Vancouver

I've started taking public transit in Vancouver and noticed a problem I'm having when travelling in the underground portion between Waterfront station all the way to Marine Drive. I have reception but none of my data applications are working. I haven't tried calling or texting. The reception is decent, at least 3 bars. Having said that, none of my data is being sent out or coming in. Has anyone experienced the same issue?

 

 

 

Accepted Solution

Re: Reception on Canada Line in Vancouver

Solved by Moderator

It's normal to lose data access when underground. Although you have 3 bars, you may be connected to the 2 or 3G network, resulting in no data access. 

View solution in context
12 REPLIES 12
Jetter_1
I'm a Participant Level 1

They have specifically set up repeaters on the Canada Line for underground use. I used to get data service on my iPhone 4 when in the tunnel, and it seems other providers don't have this issue, except Wind.
Comtaler
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have the same issue. I used Telus before and I have very good data service underground. Now, with fido, I got almost no data connection.

common
I'm a Participant Level 3

Reception has always been sketchy (dropped calls, no data) in the underground portions of the Canada Line, but it is especially poor between Broadway & King Ed, and between Langara & Marine Drive.

 

Now that Fido has improved cellphone coverage dramatically in the Skytrain Dunsmuir tunnel in downtown Vancouver, I think a lot of Canada Line riders like myself would like to see a similar level of improvement along the Canada Line.

 

 


@common wrote:

Reception has always been sketchy (dropped calls, no data) in the underground portions of the Canada Line, but it is especially poor between Broadway & King Ed, and between Langara & Marine Drive.

 

Now that Fido has improved cellphone coverage dramatically in the Skytrain Dunsmuir tunnel in downtown Vancouver, I think a lot of Canada Line riders like myself would like to see a similar level of improvement along the Canada Line.

 


Hello Common,

 

  Welcome to the community!

 

  From what I understand, Telus won the contract back in 2008 to bring wireless coverage to the underground portions of the Canada Line. If you have a postpaid account, you should be able to access the underground network as Fido-EXT (extended coverage). To do so, you'll have to enable roaming on your phone. There are no additional fees for using extended coverage. 

  

Hope this helps Smiley

 

Cheers


common
I'm a Participant Level 3

Thanks for chiming in Cawtau! My phone does switch to Fido-EXT from time to time, but I still get dropped calls there.

I actually tried another manual search today, this time with a busier train. During the first try it kept scanning for over a minute. No results displayed until the train arrived at the Langara station. During the second try, the search went on until it gave up and said it's unable to display the list of cellular networks.

So I think Fido-EXT wouldn't have helped in this case Sad


@common wrote:
Thanks for chiming in Cawtau! My phone does switch to Fido-EXT from time to time, but I still get dropped calls there.

I actually tried another manual search today, this time with a busier train. During the first try it kept scanning for over a minute. No results displayed until the train arrived at the Langara station. During the second try, the search went on until it gave up and said it's unable to display the list of cellular networks.

So I think Fido-EXT wouldn't have helped in this case Sad

Hello again,

 

  Had you enabled roaming on your phone? Is it possible the phone is seeing the network but not connecting because it wasn't enabled?  **edit** You might also have to enable roaming data to use data on Fido-EXT**

 

  One of the limitations of extended coverage is that during the switch from Fido to Fido-EXT (or vice versa), calls will get dropped. However, once connected to Fido-EXT you should be able to make the call again. The call drop is because one network cannot transfer a call in progress to another network.

 

**edit** I'm not sure how long the travel is from one underground location to the next. If they are frequent, then due to the limitations of the network switch-overs, long phone calls may not be feasible. That is, above ground or station (Fido) --> below ground (Fido-EXT) --> above ground or station (Fido) --> below ground (Fido-EXT) --> etc. Each network switch would cause the call to drop.**

 

  Do you have a prepaid or zone-based plan (eg Fido Zone or CityFido)? Unfortunately, those plans are not eligible for extended coverage.

 

  Do you know anyone on other networks who have the same issues at the locations you note? It's possible Telus hasn't extended coverage to those areas. If that is the case, then you'll have to wait until Telus does provide coverage there. Fido/Rogers will not be able to independently improve coverage on that line because Telus won the contract.

 

  What phone do you have? What happens when you let your phone search for the network automatically? I know my phone won't let me manually search for a network for some reason. 

 

  Hope this helps Smiley

 

Cheers


FidoPierre
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @common

 

Thank you for taking the time and sharing this feedback. We always appreciate any opportunities to improve our products and services for our customers. I'll be sure to forward this information to the right people! Smiley 

 

Have you tried a manual network search in these areas where you're experiencing connection issues?



common
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi FidoPierre, thanks for your reply! I haven't done a manual network search in those areas but I can try and report back.

Hey @common.

 

That's great Smiley Just let us know once that's tested out on your end.

 

Keep us updated.



common
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi FidoKenny, my phone lists 4 networks while travelling along the problem areas on the Canada Line:

 

Fido

WIND

Fido-EXT

Fido-EXT

 

Does this help?


@common wrote:

Hi FidoKenny, my phone lists 4 networks while travelling along the problem areas on the Canada Line:

 

Fido

WIND

Fido-EXT

Fido-EXT

 

Does this help?


Hello again,

 

  As I mentioned in my earlier post, enabling roaming on your phone will allow you to access Telus' underground network as Fido-EXT.

 

Cheers


FidoStephane
Moderator

It's normal to lose data access when underground. Although you have 3 bars, you may be connected to the 2 or 3G network, resulting in no data access.