Questionable Prepaid call charges

SOLVED
lessmiserable
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I have been on the prepaid method of payment for the longest time as I feel this best suits my need, and obviously Fido has been working very hard to get me to switch to a monthly package that would make them more money. I have been able to resist so far. I suspect one of the ways to convince me to switch is to make my current 'plan' seem more expensive than it really is.

I made an outbound call the other day, which I rarely do, which is why I choose not to switch. The call didn't seem long to me and I normally would not bother checking my call history as I'm on an auto top up plan. But I had to log in today because somebody else was wanting to transfer his credit to me as he's giving up his Fido account for bad customer service - no surprises there. I wanted to see if I really wanted the credit or not and logged in to check my balance. It turned out to be lower than I had assumed but then again, I hardly checked, so could be wrong. But what stared me in the face was the charge for the last call I made. It said $2.80 which means it lasted 7 minutes. I reviewed my phone's call log and it showed 5 minutes 53 seconds. It would be 6 minutes, rounding it up. So Fido charged me an extra minute for nothing. Or does the clock start ticking the moment the connection is established, not when it's answered? Is this honest business practice?

Would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this? Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Re: Questionable Prepaid call charges

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRanya

Hey @lessmiserable ,    

Thanks for posting about this.  

The clock starts ticking the moment the connection is established, you are billed  from the moment you hear the ring to the moment you terminate the call! Also, calls are billed by the minute and not the second! 

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @lessmiserable ,    

Thanks for posting about this.  

The clock starts ticking the moment the connection is established, you are billed  from the moment you hear the ring to the moment you terminate the call! Also, calls are billed by the minute and not the second! 

Hope this helps!

lessmiserable

Hi Ranya,

Thanks for your prompt response!

I know it's billed by the minute and not second, but it should have been 6 minutes and not 7. If I hung up before the other party answered the call, I'd be charged nothing, no matter how long the phone had been ringing for, right? It therefore makes no sense to start charging me at the first ring if the call was answered. It's talk time we are charged for. It's tantamount to dishonest business practice. I'm considering going public with this with one of the national TV networks.

Regards,

lessmiserable wrote:.... It's talk time we are charged for...

Hello Lessmiserable,

No, you're charged for airtime, not talk-time. Airtime includes the time to route the call through the network as well as any ring time. That is, from the time the call is initiated to the time it is disconnected.

It's the way all of the mobile providers charge for airtime minutes -- for both prepaid and postpaid plans.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

lessmiserable

Hi Cawtau,

Thanks for your response!

A rose is a rose by any other name. Airtime, talk time, whatever, means the same thing. A random search on the internet throws up a typical definition : Airtime is the actual time spent talking on a mobile phone.

If what you claim was true, wouldn't it mean that I'd be charge even though I hung up before the other party could answer the call? Don't you think that's absolutely absurd?

If this is how all other operators charge, then it's a bigger problem than I had thought and CRTC should step in and investigate. It's an industry-wide collusion.

I am definitely writing to them.

Hello again,

You should note that the layman's definition is often different from the technical definition. Same random search on the internet also shows: airtime is defined as the time you are connected to your mobile phone network (see here). When the call routes through the network and rings, the phone is connected to the network.

By the typical definition you noted, if neither party speaks, is the call free??

**edit** Other typical definitions:

The time during which a mobile phone is in use (see here)

Actual time spent using a wireless phone (see here)

The amount of time during which a cell phone is connected to a network (see here)...

So airtime does not mean the same as talk-time**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

lessmiserable

In any case, I do not believe the phone rang for a minute or anywhere close to a minute before my friend answered the call. It was an expected call and as answered within a couple of rings.

Can you imagine a phone ringing for a minute??? You would have been directed to a voice mail by the 5th ring or so.

There is really something not right with Fido's timer and I urge the party concerned do the right thing and look into it instead of defending the indefensible, before it gets out of control, public relationship wise.

Hello again,

@lessmiserable wrote:

In any case, I do not believe the phone rang for a minute or anywhere close to a minute before my friend answered the call...

Don't forget that calls are not rounded to the nearest minute, they are charged on a per minute basis. That is, 61 seconds will be considered and charged as 2 minutes.

With your call of 5:53, only eight seconds of ring-time and network connection time would be all it took to bring the airtime to 6:01 and therefore charged for 7 minutes. That's less than 2 rings.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

lessmiserable

Hi there,

Thanks for your clarification, but I am very aware that it gets rounded up, and I have said that I should have been charged for a 6 minute call and not 7. Your take is that the additional minute was due to the few extra seconds spent waiting for the other party to answer after the line was connected.

This is the point of contention - I do not agree that this should be how we are billed.

If you could answer this question please : If the other party ended up not answering, and I managed to hang up before I got transferred to their voicemail, would I still be billed for whatever seconds that I had waited for the call to be answered before hanging up?

Thank you.

Hello again,

I understand you disagree, however, it is clearly states in the Terms and Conditions: Airtime charges (plus long distance, if applicable) apply to completed or answered calls from the moment you press SEND until you press END and includes the ring time. So to answer your question, there are no airtime charges for calls that were not completed or were not answered.

You should also note that for international calls or while roaming, you may be charged regardless of whether the call is completed.

You have been provided information as to the reason you were charged 7 minutes for that call. You are free to disagree with the way airtime has been construed. However, if you use the service, you agree to the Terms and Conditions -- that includes they way airtime is calculated.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @lessmiserable

I appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here with this. I can understand how this would be a worrisome situation. I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together and check out the details.