Quality on International MOBILE Calls - Is terrible ! ! !

joecat1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have opened a ticket with FIDO for well over a month now, complaining that every time I call International Mobile numbers ( in Italy ), the quality is so bad, that my calling party and myself cannot understand each other ( calls sound terrible ). 

I am sure, that since I am now on this .02 per minute ( international Plan ), FIDO / Rogers is re-routing the calls to cheap 3rd party carriers with NO regard for quality. This problem is ongoing for well over a month now, and my next step is to send a note to the Ombudsman / and the CRTC, since the problem is not being taken seriously. Call to land lines ( in Italy ), sound great, it's just the mobile terminations. 

HELP ! ! has anyone else had this issue 

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@joecat1 wrote:

I have opened a ticket with FIDO for well over a month now, complaining that every time I call International Mobile numbers ( in Italy ), the quality is so bad, that my calling party and myself cannot understand each other ( calls sound terrible ). 

I am sure, that since I am now on this .02 per minute ( international Plan ), FIDO / Rogers is re-routing the calls to cheap 3rd party carriers with NO regard for quality. This problem is ongoing for well over a month now, and my next step is to send a note to the Ombudsman / and the CRTC, since the problem is not being taken seriously. Call to land lines ( in Italy ), sound great, it's just the mobile terminations. 

HELP ! ! has anyone else had this issue 

Hello Joecat1,

Welcome to the forums!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried calling the International mobile numbers from a landline? Not trying to be facetious. Is the sound quality improved when you call from a landline? I just do not understand why Fido/Rogers would 're-route' mobile calls to 'cheap' carriers yet use 'regular' carriers for landline calls. Your implication is that since you have a cheap plan, quality is reduced. If true, then wouldn't it stand to reason that calls to landlines would also be of poor quality? Yet you state that calls to landlines 'sound great'.

I do not believe phone companies -- mobile or landline -- have any say over which carriers pick up on the other end. It would depend on the carriers of the end user. 

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi joecat1!

Have you gotten any updates on the ticket? Is it only when calling Italy that you experience this?

How is the quality with another phone, and did this start when you took the value pack?

Let me know. Smiley