Purchasing iPhone6 plus outright

SOLVED
akd13
I'm a Contributor Level 2

So I was just calling around my area to see if there were any iphone 6 plus' in my area that I could just go buy instead of waiting for my reservation through fido..

Someone told me that I was not able to purchase the phone outright anymore that I had to sign up for a contract.

Is this true?!?! If so wtf Fido? You told me to reserve a phone through you instead of Apple, and now I'm being told people can only purchase it rightout from Apple?!?!

Could someone please clarify for me? If this is the case..I'm pretty upset that I've waited 3 weeks to find this out. :manmad:

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Purchasing iPhone6 plus outright

Solved by I'm Experienced Level 2

To make it simple:

Full price at Apple Store: Phone is unlocked, can't use FidoDOLLARS since Apple charges you for the phone (and not Fido), to be paid in full in store immediately, no $25 administrative fee, can keep whatever plan you currently have.

Full price at a Fido corporate store: Phone is locked, can be immediately unlocked for $50, FidoDOLLARS can be used, phone is billed on the next invoice, $25 administrative fee applies, can keep your current plan.

Full price at a Fido retailer ("exclusive dealers" or Best Buy/FutureShops of this world): Some will sell it to you, some won't. If they do: phone is locked, can be unlocked immediately for $50, FidoDOLLARS can be used, phone is billed on the next invoice, $25 administrative fee applies, can keep your current plan.

Contract price (2-year Max plan) at Apple, Fido corporate store or exclusive dealer: Phone is locked, can be unlocked after 90 days for $50, FidoDOLLARS can be used, phone is billed on the next invoice, $25 administrative fee applies, must change to a Max plan if your current plan is not compatible.

*EDIT: clarity + more details.

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
doodle2
I'm a Participant Level 1

If I purchase an Iphone outright from Apple and use it on Fido network, will it lock it to Fido when I put in a Fido sim card?

Welcome to the community @doodle2!  Smiley

As long you request the unlocked version when you purchase it full price then the phone won't be lock to Fido.

It's always best to make sure with the phone manufacturer first however. Hope this helps! 

Roskov
I'm Qualified Level 1

It depends on the store policies unfortunetely.

-If it is a corporate Fido store (says just ''Fido'' in the store locator tool), then they should be able to give you the phone full price as far as I know. These stores are corporately owned and managed by fido.

-If it is a dealer store (says ''autorised dealer'' on store locator), then some of them can do, some of them can't. It realy depends on the policy of the store. They are exclussive fido dealers, but can still refuse to give phones full price if they want to.

-If it is a retailer (walmart, futureshop, best-buy, apple etc.), then they are very similar to dealers, but they are not exclussive to fido pretty much.

Apple is a retailer and as far as I know, they can use fido dollars during upgrades without a problem. But I heard that some apple stores won't use fido dollars during a full price purchase. Maybe the client I spoke to was speaking to a new rep at the apple store, but everytime I called apple for somebody, they were able to use fido dollars for full price purchases.

IsaNoyd

I had an iPhone 6 reservation (with an "exclusive dealer" location, unfortunately). I wanted to buy from Fido so I could use my Fido Dollars... but I also wanted to buy the phone outright (not on a 2-year contract), and they told me that was not possible. They did not mention any possibility that another location might have been able to sell it to me without a two-year contract. That's interesting, and I'll bear it in mind for the future. I did not investigate the possibility of ordering through an Apple Store and trying to use FidoDollars there, either.

Since I also wanted to buy the phone unlocked (not possible, but I could wait 90 days and pay 50$ to have it unlocked) AND I wanted to keep my 56$ plan, and not switch to an 80$ "smart" plan (apparently absolutely not possible), I gave up and asked them to cancel the reservation.

The dealer did assure me that if I buy an unlocked iPhone 6 directly from Apple, and bring it in to exchange the SIM card for the nano-version (for a small fee, naturally) then I can at least keep my 56$ plan and avoid signing a two-year contract.

It would have been nice to know all this before I waited over a month for my Fido reservation, but at least they are supposed to refund the reservation fee, so I guess I am not out of pocket. Still looking for something useful to do with all those FidoDollars, though!

akd13

Yea, its kinda how they don't really advise you in the best way for US rather than them...

I think you can use the fido dollars to pay off part of your bill Smiley or an accessory for your new phone would be nice too!

TheOrangeGuy
I'm Experienced Level 2

To make it simple:

Full price at Apple Store: Phone is unlocked, can't use FidoDOLLARS since Apple charges you for the phone (and not Fido), to be paid in full in store immediately, no $25 administrative fee, can keep whatever plan you currently have.

Full price at a Fido corporate store: Phone is locked, can be immediately unlocked for $50, FidoDOLLARS can be used, phone is billed on the next invoice, $25 administrative fee applies, can keep your current plan.

Full price at a Fido retailer ("exclusive dealers" or Best Buy/FutureShops of this world): Some will sell it to you, some won't. If they do: phone is locked, can be unlocked immediately for $50, FidoDOLLARS can be used, phone is billed on the next invoice, $25 administrative fee applies, can keep your current plan.

Contract price (2-year Max plan) at Apple, Fido corporate store or exclusive dealer: Phone is locked, can be unlocked after 90 days for $50, FidoDOLLARS can be used, phone is billed on the next invoice, $25 administrative fee applies, must change to a Max plan if your current plan is not compatible.

*EDIT: clarity + more details.

tohru1990

This sucks for me because I just read this thread after I was told by the dealer that they can't sell me the phone outright. The Fido store I call doesn't have the phone in the color I want. So now I need to wait 7 days until I can reserve again. I'm not sure how long it's going to take this time.

Rhttttttttt

Buy from Apple Store. Used phones you will have to get it unlocked.