cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing games

HJ
I'm a Participant Level 2
I was going to download some games on my phone, but when I typed the link that was sent to my phone, the error message popped up saying:
(Error) WIFI Detected
We are unable to authenticate you as you are not currently on the Rogers or Fido Mobile Networks. Please disable your WiFi connection and launch your browser to try again.
Click here for Yahoo! oneSearch

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with this.
Please help me out.
Thank you

9 REPLIES 9

Pastmidnite
It seems to me that there is no reason the Fido site can not recognize your wifi connection. It's apparent in my opinion that it's just a scam for Fido to eat away at your data time/minutes by forcing you to connect via your data plan to download... too bad if you you have a wifi phone and connection...

FidoJohn
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello HJ,

Welcome to the Fido technical community,

Can I have the make and the model of the device that you are using?

As well, in order to download games or ringtones from the fido website you will need a browsing plan on your account and you will need to disable the WIFI functionality on your phone. The reason you see this messages is because the site is not able to detect a WAP IP address coming from your phone. All it sees is a WLAN connection IP address. This is why you get this message.

I hope this helps,

Pastmidnite
And what a joke that is .. I guess this is good for Fido as you are forced to eat away at your data time v/s using a free wifi connection to download apps. If you want apps, there are many sites other than Fido where you find a better collection, cheaper apps, and you will be able to use your wifi connection and not have to pay Fido for there poor selection of overpriced apps.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

For your information, there is no data charges for browsing the Fido portal (fido.mobi) so there is no need to access it via wi-fi.  You are free to buy apps and games from other web/wap sites as well no ones forcing you to buy them from fido.mobi.

dso
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Actually, while it's free to browse the fido portal, when you try to go beyond the first few pages and enter into pages like "Top Download", data charge will apply, and they will ask you to purchase a data pass if you don't have a data plan. At least that's my experience for Games; not sure if it's the same with ringtones or other downloads.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

From my info, it only asks you to purchase a Data Pass or charge you if you open a link that is not within the fido portal.  Fido portal has many links to outside pages ie facebook, hotmail, search engine, etc. I do know that there are some images download links that are third party, there very well may be game links from a third party site too, I just dont bother navigating to that area, there is no interest for me to be there.  I just stick with that in mind and have never had any problems.  Hope That Helps

Hello everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it .

Doanloads:Ringtones,Games & images 

Personalize your phone with the latest ringtones, wallpapers and games. Click here. to download.

Things to Know

• Validate that your phone is compatible with the type of download you want.
  • Downloadable content is always sent via mobile internet or Wi-Fi (when connected) to your phone.
  • Downloaded content is saved on your phone. You may not be able to transfer it if you decide to change your phone.
  • Charges will apply when you buy content. You’ll receive a text message to confirm the transaction once your purchase is completed.
    • If you don’t receive the content you requested, you won’t be billed for it. You can try to download it again.
  • Fido doesn’t support the content you purchase and isn’t responsible for the content itself.

For more detail please visit:  http://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/post_pre_downloads

Hope this helps !

HJ
Do I stil need internet to just to play games?
or do I just need it once to download my game?

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
most games do not need internet, the internet is where you purchase them from, but when you wanna play them, they are java applets so they play on the phone, dont really require internet unless you are doing some kind of update or playing a multi player?