Prepaid data with a non-fido phone

SOLVED
10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

My wife uses prepaid with Fido. She is looking at picking up a new dumbphone in the US on her next visit (not sure which). I was told that Fido's unlimited on device mobile browsing ($10/month) is only good with a Fido branded phone. Can someone confirm this? Does't seem like that would be a realistic restriction, especially given the number of people I've heard of that use smartphones with this service and haven't been nailed with monstrous data fees. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid data with a non-fido phone

Solved by I'm Qualified Level 1

It's basically just that they can't guarantee that it will work and that there may be charges. Basically, they just want to cover their bases if ever the customer comes with a phone that would have some incompatibility issues with the Fido/Rogers network.

* Edit → removed profanity*

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
WickyLeBlond
I'm Qualified Level 1

I can't confirm at 100% since I don't have unlimited mobile browsing, but I lent my spare phone to a client at one point because the internet didn't really work on the loaner nokia. He never old me that it didn't work on my LG u8500. It's a phone I bought unlocked that came from Europe, so normally I'd think it would work just fine with any unlocked phone.

10yearfido
I'm an Expert Level 2

What I was told that was it would probably work, but that it isn't allowed, in the same way the using smartphones with unlimited dumb phone browsing isn't allowed and that it could result in a large (thousands) data charge for using it inappropriately. She only wants to use a dumb phone, just not one from Fido. I don't understand why this policy would exist, since it doesn't make much sense, so I wanted to ask if anyone else had heard of it.

WickyLeBlond
I'm Qualified Level 1

It's basically just that they can't guarantee that it will work and that there may be charges. Basically, they just want to cover their bases if ever the customer comes with a phone that would have some incompatibility issues with the Fido/Rogers network.

* Edit → removed profanity*