Prepaid balance over $150

I'm a Participant Level 1 ytsui
I'm a Participant Level 1

Prepaid balance over $150

Hi,

I recently got a text message from Fido saying that I can only have a maximum prepaid balance of $150, starting in February 2018. Currently, my account has around $220 and the expiry date is in mid-December 2018. 

Does that mean my balance would be reduced to $150 in February?

Is there anyway that I can be compensated for the deduction of ~$70 worth of airtime?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Prepaid balance over $150

Thank you for getting back to us, @oggiedoggie!

I want to assure you that we will not be expiring any balances for customers using our pre-paid services at the end of the year. With our former policy, we noticed that a small number of customers had accumulated a high balance. The cap will give customers plenty of room to use their phone as they like, without carrying or building a large balance.

As part of this process, our team has reached out to affected Fido customers to make them aware of the options available to them to help them use their remaining balance in a way that’s right for them.

This said, we do want to work towards a solution with you. In order to do that, we can send you a PM right here on the Community or you can even reach out to the Office of the President advisor handling your case.

Let us know what works best for you and we’ll be more than happy to assist! 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 110
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

you should be able to call the customer service center of Fido, as i did the same with rogers prepaid, i had over 300$ credit with them, i told Rogers to deduct the amount over an 3 years. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 46 of 110
I'm a Participant Level 3 User152
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi.

In December 2017, Fido sent me a text saying starting at the end of 2018 prepaid services will have a max. balance of $150, any balance amount over $150 would be lost, and they would be in touch on how I can use my balance soon.  Fido has not yet sent me any info on how to use my balance. Fido did text me last month to say the monthly refill will go towards the $10.75/month Talk and Text Plan.  I have the following questions.

My last refill was for 365 days and it will expire in November 2018.  Please confirm I'll be able to trade in $100 of my airtime balance (currently $229) in November 2018 for a new 365-day refill.  Also, how do I request the trade-in?

Since the Talk and Text Plan only includes 50 minutes of local Talk time, will I able to call Canada-wide at additional cost?  If yes, how would the charges work?  Will I also able to use more than 50 minutes of Talk time?  The same question also applies to Text.  Will I be able to send more than 50 messages (the Plan limit) and, if yes, how would the charges work?

I currently have the 250-Text add-on for $5/month.  When I am switched over to the Talk and Text Plan next month, will it have the extra Text add-on?  Actually I do not want the Text add-on to the Talk and Text Plan because one-third of the monthly Plan fee would only net 200 messages (not cost effective).  I assume an add-on can be added later if I desire.

My last question is what happens when there are multiple refills.  Just as an example, say I have a 365-day refill expiring in November 2019.  If I get a 30-day refill in January 2019, what would be the expiry date(s)?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 47 of 110
Highlighted

Hey there @User152!

Welcome to the community Smiley

I can assure you that options are available and we'll be happy to go over them together with you. You can reach out to us by PM/DM on Facebook or Twitter or use one of these channels. Alternatively, we can send you a PM on this platform to follow up.

To answer your questions :

•  You don't need to wait until November to extend your expiry date. Whichever due date you have for your balance, using $100 towards extending it will simply add 365 more days. To request the trade-in, reach out to us through one of the options above :).  This promotion only offers an extension of the expiry date of your account. Airtime will not be included. Though , you won’t have to refill your account until the expired date, or your balance runs out.
  • In regards to your current plan. You would find all the details here. The plan includes 50 SMS and 50 local minutes. In other words, you'll be charged for long distance calls and over usage of airtime will be $0.35/minute as per the pay per use rate.  Long distance will be charged $0.45/minute at all times. As a side note, when your local minutes are depleted and you plan a long distance call, you'll be charged $0.35 + $0.45/minute.
  • Over usage or long distance calls will chip on your current account balance. If you think you'll overuse by a lot, I would suggest changing plans in that case. This also means, that as long as you have a balance available in your account, you can keep overusing your plan, since you'll have funds to cover it.
  • I did not mention texting above as you have the $5 - 250 text add-on. Overusing texts will be charged at $0.25/SMS. Incoming text messages from other wireless users is free though.

Hope this clarifies, and let me know if I missed anything!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 48 of 110
I'm a Participant Level 2 repatch
I'm a Participant Level 2

What are the options, other then the rubbish forwarded so far?

My account is an emergency phone, have ZERO use for "unlimited minutes" and **bleep** like that.

Spending $100 of my balance to extend my expiry makes zero sense, why would I negate $100 of my balance to extend expiry? That's basically loosing a ton of minutes/texts for nothing.

Nevermind the $100 means the rest of my balance over $150 will go into the trash hit (or, more precisely, the pockets of Ted).

So, what other options? I went down this road in Feb, finally got the the "office of the president", which everybody knows is just your retentions department. After several VMs, several emails I got not a single response, nothing.

So, what other options are there?

Only options that I've heard rumoured that I'd consider:

1) Transferring the excess balance to another existing Fido account (post paid)

2) Being able to apply the excess to a hardware purchase (i.e. a new phone)

Options?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 49 of 110
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @repatch,

Welcome to the Community! 

You've come to the right place for help Smiley

I'm sorry to hear that you were not able to reach my colleagues from the Office of the President. We'll look into this with you.

I'm sending you a PM, we'll go over your options together!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 50 of 110
I'm a Participant Level 2 repatch
I'm a Participant Level 2

Replied to your PM, authed as requested, and got an email saying you can't find the conversation... deja-vu...

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 51 of 110

Awesome, we'll continue there @repatch!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 52 of 110

I have follow-up questions to your reply:

How do I send a PM on this platform? What does "PM" mean, Private Message?  Can I just call Fido at *611 on my phone to extend my account expiry date by spending $100 of the account balance? 

Regarding the Text add-on, did you mean the add-on *will not* or *will be* carried over when my plan is switched to Talk and Text?  Just to repeat, I do *not* want any add-on to Talk and Text.  If it does carry over, do I have to contact Fido to remove the add-on?

On my online account services page the information is blank and only a few icons are shown.  That may be because I use Firefox secure browsing on my laptop computer.  Is there another way to find the remaining minutes and text messages on my Talk and Text plan?  It would be nice to have that info shown using *225 on my phone but that only shows the dollar amount remaining and the expiry date.

Only $10.00 was deducted from my account today, August 13th. Will the $0.75 fee for 9-1-1 be deducted later?  I just want to make sure the 9-1-1 service stays!

Thanks again.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 53 of 110

Hey @User152

I assure you the 9-1-1 service remains. Each fee is taken separately and can be withdrawn on different days. The option to retrieve the usage information directly through our IVR system isn't available. 

Have you tried logging in to My Account through a different browser to see if it helps you better view the information available on the site?

Also, we can help you remove that Data Text-messaging add-on right from here. I'll send you a PM myself so we can get started. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 54 of 110

Hi @FidoPierre,

I replied to your PM a couple of days ago.  Did you have a chance to read my PM reply?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 55 of 110

Hey @User152,

We received your PM and we have responded Smiley

Have you not received our latest message, are you unable to see it in your inbox?

Let us know.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 56 of 110

Hi @FidoClaudia,

I just checked my PM inbox and there is only the one PM from @FidoPierre.  There are no other PM's, just that one.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 57 of 110
Moderator (inactive) FidoThomas
Moderator (inactive)

Thanks for letting us know @User152 Smiley

That's weird, we'll look into in on our side.

I'll send you another PM and we'll start from there!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 58 of 110

Hi @FidoThomas,

Did you send me a PM?  I just checked my PM inbox and there are no new PM's.

Looking at the history for this discussion thread it looks like other users had the same PM issues.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 59 of 110
Moderator (inactive) FidoRanya
Moderator (inactive)

Hey @User152

I just sent a new one your way! 

Let me know if you received it.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 60 of 110