Possible device Upgrading at end of 2yr Tab

SOLVED
smitty267
I'm a Participant Level 3

I have 3 lines.. 2 mobile and 1 home.  One mobile is month to month and the other mobile will be month to month in a bit over about 2 months.  Are free device upgrades offered to retain contract service? Is an upgrade considered to be a device that already has been on the market for 2 years?(not really an upgrade IMO)..ann can free device upgrades be obtained from Fido while continuing with the previous contracts plan and terms? I have room for negotiation for 1 of the mobile lines.

Thanks 

Accepted Solution

Re: Possible device Upgrading at end of 2yr Tab

Solved by I'm Qualified Level 2

Yes.

Assuming your plan was a Smart plan back then (that is, you got a subsidy on your phone two years ago), then go to the phones and devices page and select the phone of your choice. The price you'll have to pay to acquire the phone is the one listed for a Smart plan. For example, the LG G3 is free with a renewal of your contract, while the G4 would be $250. If you had a Max plan, the G4 would be $150. Note that there's a $25 "upgrade fee" (which I don't think is justified, but my opinion doesn't matter).

You can change your plan to a current one, but you don't have to; you can keep paying the same monthly amount, for the same amount of minutes and data.

The phone you currently have is irrelevant; a carrier will provide a subsidy to keep you on another 2-year contract. And you can renew your contract starting 30 days before it ends without penalty.

Or you could switch to a BYOD plan and keep your phone for a while and/or purchase the phone of your choice (such as a Nexus) off the net. Yes, I know you can't use your FidoDollars for that, but it's an option.

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Yes.

Assuming your plan was a Smart plan back then (that is, you got a subsidy on your phone two years ago), then go to the phones and devices page and select the phone of your choice. The price you'll have to pay to acquire the phone is the one listed for a Smart plan. For example, the LG G3 is free with a renewal of your contract, while the G4 would be $250. If you had a Max plan, the G4 would be $150. Note that there's a $25 "upgrade fee" (which I don't think is justified, but my opinion doesn't matter).

You can change your plan to a current one, but you don't have to; you can keep paying the same monthly amount, for the same amount of minutes and data.

The phone you currently have is irrelevant; a carrier will provide a subsidy to keep you on another 2-year contract. And you can renew your contract starting 30 days before it ends without penalty.

Or you could switch to a BYOD plan and keep your phone for a while and/or purchase the phone of your choice (such as a Nexus) off the net. Yes, I know you can't use your FidoDollars for that, but it's an option.

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Free upgrades can be done with your existing plan but it will all depends on the type of plan you have eg. Standard, Smart or Max plan. 

For example if your current plan is a smart plan you can get the LG G3 for free.