Port out existing number and get a new number with my current account

SOLVED
Hopethisworks
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi, I have 1 year left on my contract, and I'm trying to see if I am able to have my family take over the plan. But I want to keep my number and they want their own number.

Is this possible? How would we go able making this work? From my research:

1. I can get a new number but my old number would be lost.
2. If I port out my number the account is closed and I automatically need to pay for the early cancelation.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Re: Port out existing number and get a new number with my current account

Solved by Former Moderator FidoCatherine

Hey there

Your research is correct; It's not possible to port-out your number and still keep the line active. 

You can indeed get a new number - your old number would remain attached to your account with your current provider.

If you port-out the number, the line is automatically cancelled & cancellation fees would apply if you still have a contract with a phone subsidy. 

I hope this answered your questions. 

Let me know if there's anything we can do to help 😃

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hey there

Your research is correct; It's not possible to port-out your number and still keep the line active. 

You can indeed get a new number - your old number would remain attached to your account with your current provider.

If you port-out the number, the line is automatically cancelled & cancellation fees would apply if you still have a contract with a phone subsidy. 

I hope this answered your questions. 

Let me know if there's anything we can do to help 😃

Hopethisworks
I'm a Participant Level 2

I see, would porting out my number automatically trigger cancellation of my account? IE: all the account remaing balance would be cosolidated into my last bill? (ie: pro-rated monthly fee, cancelation fee etc etc.,?)

If there's only 1 line in the account @Hopethisworks, yes.