Poor wireless reception in Schomberg - Pottageville!

SOLVED
Arnold76
I'm a Participant Level 1

Just wondering, if someone from Fido can answer this simple question: When Fido will be providing acceptable wireless service to Pottageville area? Pottageville is a town just few minutes west of the hyw400, located at the northeastern King Township of Ontario. Calls drop in most area of my house and i have to stand in very specific areas to mantain a good reception. I get mostly 3G and sometimes no data coverage. I leave on a top of a small hill, where You would think this would be a well covered area, but unfortunately it’s not, so I called Fido about this issue(over a year ago), when they said there is no dead spots in this area based on their map, but willing to look after. A year has passed and i’m still struggle to get data through my phone. The main intersection(Lloydtown Aurora rd. and 7th Consession) is even worst, there is no wireless reception at all! I’ve just called them again to complain, then they suggested to upgrade my phone (was holding an iPhone 4s, so upgraded to the latest model) for better wireless services. It is still the same! It's not the device! Is there any thing that can be adjusted by Fido to increase coverage or am i stuck between towers in a dead zone? Most of the other provides are PROVIDING services for smaller communities.
Is Fido doesn't want to be the part of them?

Accepted Solution

Re: Poor wireless reception in Schomberg - Pottageville!

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Arnold76,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the mobile providers' network coverage maps (yes, Bell included) consider the area covered for service. However, those maps are not accurate. They only provide an approximate graphical representation. According to this screen capture, there do not appear to be any cellular towers within the immediate vicinity -- from any provider.

Pottageville.jpg

Taken from here.

The closest cellular tower is, in fact, a Fido/Rogers tower. There may be some room to optimise the tower to your area, however, there are many factors that affect cellular reception -- including terrain and obstruction (ie trees and buildings). The obvious solution would be for Fido/Rogers to erect an additional tower in the area. They are unlikely to install a new tower for a few customers. Your best option is to have a discussion with your local municipality and community to establish the need for a new tower.

Since you do get some reception, have you considered getting a signal booster? I understand it is an additional cost, but it may be your only option.

@Arnold76 wrote:

... Most of the other provides are PROVIDING services for smaller communities.

I understand your frustration leading you to that statement. However, blanket statements like that cannot be made. There will be some smaller communities where Fido/Rogers have better coverage. On the other hand, there will be some communities where the other networks have better coverage. That's just the nature of mobile networks -- coverage depends on the location of their cellular towers. 

Which network is better should really be which network is better for your situation. Unfortunately, with your situation, neither network is ideal. Yes, there are no Fido/Rogers towers in Schomberg. However, if you lived by Green Lake, there is only a Fido/Rogers tower... 

With the Canadian roaming agreements, customers (with applicable plans) can roam on the other networks as Fido-EXT (extended coverage) without additional fees. It should be noted, though, that use on Fido-EXT is only meant on a temporary basis.

I also understand you upgraded your phone to the latest model. I assume it's an iPhone. Unfortunately, the cellular reception in the newer iPhones has been unimpressive. It's not uncommon for different phone models to have differences in cellular reception. For example, a professor at Denmark's Aalborg University tested the performance of various mobile phone antennae (see here). I'm not sure how much we can extrapolate from his data because Fido/Rogers uses mostly different bands/frequencies. However, it does illustrate the large differences between phone models. I'm not implying that getting a different phone will help your situation. Many people assume that newer is better. With regards to cellular reception, that may not necessarily be the case.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Arnold76,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the mobile providers' network coverage maps (yes, Bell included) consider the area covered for service. However, those maps are not accurate. They only provide an approximate graphical representation. According to this screen capture, there do not appear to be any cellular towers within the immediate vicinity -- from any provider.

Pottageville.jpg

Taken from here.

The closest cellular tower is, in fact, a Fido/Rogers tower. There may be some room to optimise the tower to your area, however, there are many factors that affect cellular reception -- including terrain and obstruction (ie trees and buildings). The obvious solution would be for Fido/Rogers to erect an additional tower in the area. They are unlikely to install a new tower for a few customers. Your best option is to have a discussion with your local municipality and community to establish the need for a new tower.

Since you do get some reception, have you considered getting a signal booster? I understand it is an additional cost, but it may be your only option.

@Arnold76 wrote:

... Most of the other provides are PROVIDING services for smaller communities.

I understand your frustration leading you to that statement. However, blanket statements like that cannot be made. There will be some smaller communities where Fido/Rogers have better coverage. On the other hand, there will be some communities where the other networks have better coverage. That's just the nature of mobile networks -- coverage depends on the location of their cellular towers. 

Which network is better should really be which network is better for your situation. Unfortunately, with your situation, neither network is ideal. Yes, there are no Fido/Rogers towers in Schomberg. However, if you lived by Green Lake, there is only a Fido/Rogers tower... 

With the Canadian roaming agreements, customers (with applicable plans) can roam on the other networks as Fido-EXT (extended coverage) without additional fees. It should be noted, though, that use on Fido-EXT is only meant on a temporary basis.

I also understand you upgraded your phone to the latest model. I assume it's an iPhone. Unfortunately, the cellular reception in the newer iPhones has been unimpressive. It's not uncommon for different phone models to have differences in cellular reception. For example, a professor at Denmark's Aalborg University tested the performance of various mobile phone antennae (see here). I'm not sure how much we can extrapolate from his data because Fido/Rogers uses mostly different bands/frequencies. However, it does illustrate the large differences between phone models. I'm not implying that getting a different phone will help your situation. Many people assume that newer is better. With regards to cellular reception, that may not necessarily be the case.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers