Policy for unlocking code for Fido Phones

I'm a Participant Level 1 Jaswant
I'm a Participant Level 1

Policy for unlocking code for Fido Phones

I was given to understand that many US wireless provides can provide unlock codes for phones after 6 months of signing the contract. This is mean to increase the re-use and re-cycling of phone. Does anybody know if I can obtain a unlock code from Fido for prepaid phone. I tried searching the website without success. The reason for obtaining the unlock code is to take my phone to India where I can purchase a new SIM from a wireless provider without buying a new phone.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

New Handset Unlocking Policy for Fido

Handset Unlocking Policy
Effective December 14, we’ll be changing our policy on device unlocking to allow customers the opportunity to unlock their devices for a $50 fee.

This new policy applies to phones, smartphones, and rocket sticks depending on the manufacturer’s restrictions. Customers purchasing a new device or qualifying for a HUP are also eligible to have their previous phone unlocked.

To have a device unlocked a customer must:

Have an account in good standing.
Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period
Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history
Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)
How can a customer have their phone unlocked?

The unlock service is available through the Customer Care team (1-888-481-3436)

What are the risks for unlocking devices?

Some features on the phone/device might be compromised by the unlocking and could affect its performance on our network. Our devices are optimized to work on the network for which they were purchased. Not all settings will work outside the carrier that certified the device.
Warranty may become void by some manufacturers if unlocked outside the Rogers/Fido policy or software has been tampered with.
In regard to our wireless handsets, customers have the added benefit of our Fido Repair and Loaner service which will help cover the cost if their device is defective.
If a customer brings in a phone for service, please:

Ask the customer if their phone has been unlocked; if yes, was it unlocked within the Rogers/Fido policy?
If unlocked within the Rogers/Fido policy and the software has not been tampered with then there is no impact on the warranty. Note that if unlocked outside the Rogers/Fidopolicy or the software has been tampered with then the warranty may be void.
Advise the customer the phone can potentially be re-locked as part of the repair process and if they wish to have it unlocked again, the policy and charge applies.
In order for a customer to take advantage of either the Fido Repair and Loaner service, the customer’s device brand must correspond to the currently active CTN (i.e. Fido CTN cannot be sent for repair with Rogers branded hardware and vice versa).
All Hardware service transactions where the CTN brand does not correspond to the hardware brand will have to be processed manually. Customer will have to provide proof of purchase in order to proceed with manual In Warranty Repair.
Fee Breakdown

Province
Fee
Tax
Total

Alberta
$50.00
$2.50
$52.50

British Columbia
$50.00
$6.00
$56.00

Manitoba
$50.00
$6.00
$56.00

New Brunswick
$50.00
$6.50
$56.50

Newfoundland and Labrador
$50.00
$6.50
$56.50

Nova Scotia
$50.00
$7.50
$57.50

Ontario
$50.00
$6.50
$56.50

Prince Edward Island
$50.00
$7.75
$57.75

Québec
$50.00
$6.44
$56.44

Saskatchewan
$50.00
$5.00
$55.00
--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 11
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Re: Policy for unlocking code for Fido Phones

Hi there,

As far as I know, there is no policy on unlocking anymore. They used to have a policy where they will unlock it if you paid a $250 fee, but they removed that policy because people could easily go to the free enterprise market and get an unlock elsewhere for approx $20 bucks. But back then unlocking was rare and they had different policies that reflected the market at that time.

you are free to take your phone anywhere to get it unlocked, but you will assume responsibility for what ever happens to it if it breaks or becomes defective.

--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 11
I'm Helpful Level 2
I'm Helpful Level 2

there are some laws coming soon to prevent a carrier from not unlocking a phone after a contract ends.  I have 4 rogers phones that are long since past contract that I can't use for a replacement on fido because rogers won't unlock.  My phone locked so I can't use it long after that excessive contract ended.

there are some reliable unlockers around for $15

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 11
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

Handset Unlocking Policy
Effective December 14, we’ll be changing our policy on device unlocking to allow customers the opportunity to unlock their devices for a $50 fee.

This new policy applies to phones, smartphones, and rocket sticks depending on the manufacturer’s restrictions. Customers purchasing a new device or qualifying for a HUP are also eligible to have their previous phone unlocked.

To have a device unlocked a customer must:

Have an account in good standing.
Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period
Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history
Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)
How can a customer have their phone unlocked?

The unlock service is available through the Customer Care team (1-888-481-3436)

What are the risks for unlocking devices?

Some features on the phone/device might be compromised by the unlocking and could affect its performance on our network. Our devices are optimized to work on the network for which they were purchased. Not all settings will work outside the carrier that certified the device.
Warranty may become void by some manufacturers if unlocked outside the Rogers/Fido policy or software has been tampered with.
In regard to our wireless handsets, customers have the added benefit of our Fido Repair and Loaner service which will help cover the cost if their device is defective.
If a customer brings in a phone for service, please:

Ask the customer if their phone has been unlocked; if yes, was it unlocked within the Rogers/Fido policy?
If unlocked within the Rogers/Fido policy and the software has not been tampered with then there is no impact on the warranty. Note that if unlocked outside the Rogers/Fidopolicy or the software has been tampered with then the warranty may be void.
Advise the customer the phone can potentially be re-locked as part of the repair process and if they wish to have it unlocked again, the policy and charge applies.
In order for a customer to take advantage of either the Fido Repair and Loaner service, the customer’s device brand must correspond to the currently active CTN (i.e. Fido CTN cannot be sent for repair with Rogers branded hardware and vice versa).
All Hardware service transactions where the CTN brand does not correspond to the hardware brand will have to be processed manually. Customer will have to provide proof of purchase in order to proceed with manual In Warranty Repair.
Fee Breakdown

Province
Fee
Tax
Total

Alberta
$50.00
$2.50
$52.50

British Columbia
$50.00
$6.00
$56.00

Manitoba
$50.00
$6.00
$56.00

New Brunswick
$50.00
$6.50
$56.50

Newfoundland and Labrador
$50.00
$6.50
$56.50

Nova Scotia
$50.00
$7.50
$57.50

Ontario
$50.00
$6.50
$56.50

Prince Edward Island
$50.00
$7.75
$57.75

Québec
$50.00
$6.44
$56.44

Saskatchewan
$50.00
$5.00
$55.00
--
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 11
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Re: New Handset Unlocking Policy for Fido

$50 is insane for this 'service'. They are simply removing a lock that they imposed on a device that we fully own (after repaying the subsidy or buying it outright). That is like you buying a car and having to pay extra to have the dealer remove wheel locks that they added to it.

Personally, I am against carriers being allowed to lock devices in the first place. I understand they want to use it as a kludge to bind customers to their service, but they already do this through their 3 years contracts (longest in the world). If we break our contracts, we must repay the subsidy through the early cancellation fees. So, why are they allowed to maintain the lock on the device that we paid for in full? We have paid for the device completely, yet we are still artificially bound to continue using their service with it. How is that even legal? I know most carriers do it around the world, but that doesn't make it anymore right.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 11
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

But, this is a step in the right direction.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 11
I'm a Participant Level 1 CaptainMott

Before Fido was acquired by Rogers, the unlocking of cell phones was complimentary, that's right, if you came into the old fido stores they would unlock the phones for free.   It consisted of downloading the appropriate software from the manufacturers site.   Lots of info available, check out the web.  Lots of places will do it for free in Richmond, BC

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 11
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

@CaptainMott wrote:

Before Fido was acquired by Rogers, the unlocking of cell phones was complimentary, that's right, if you came into the old fido stores they would unlock the phones for free.   It consisted of downloading the appropriate software from the manufacturers site.   Lots of info available, check out the web.  Lots of places will do it for free in Richmond, BC

Fido also used to advertise that they would never lock customers into contracts because they don't like contracts and they trust their customers. That was the old Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 11
Fido Employee Tru
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. What Paolo said is accurate; I just want to add a quick update about the delay for unlocking since the policy has slightly changed.

For a phone bought full price in a Fido store: we can do the unlocking right away.

For a phone bought with an agreement: there is a 90 days delay before we can complete the unlocking

For a phone that has been bought outside of an authorized Fido regular sales channel: the phone must be listed in the device history for at least 90 days for us to be able to unlock it.

Hope this help!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 11
I'm a Participant Level 1 MontrealSoft

Hi Tru, I had a bunch of fidodollars (675$) on my account, but no active phone number (I just didn't close the account and loose that money). So I just bought a full-price iPhone, I used my fidodollars and paid the balance with my credit card. Now there is still that policy that prevents them to unlock the phone for 90 days ?! What's the logic behind this, the phone is FULLY paid, that money was mine, all of it. (and wait, they also forced me to pay a 25$ activation fee even if I didn't have any activation done; I don't have a line with them!).
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 11
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hey MontrealSoft

That definitely sounds odd.. You do need a Fido number to purchase a Fido phone.

We'll take a closer look at this together 😃 I'll send you a PM so we can go over the details!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 11