Phone upgrade with existing plan

SOLVED
Nosreme646
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello, I have a question that I'm having a hard time finding a solution for. 

Basically, I have an awesome smart plan that I recently got from Black Friday and I got it using my phone I brought to Fido. Now, my birthday is in a couple of months and I was thinking of getting a new smartphone. 

I was wondering, is there anyway I can keep my plan I have now, but upgrade to a new phone? I would think I would be charged the admin fee's as well as an upfront cost for the phone, but would there be a discount? 

I don't want to loose my awesome plan, but at the same time I'm considering getting a new phone without paying upward of a grand to get it unlocked and outright. 

Any suggestions or ideas of this? Is it possible to add a new phone to your smartplan if you brought your own phone? Am I out of luck? Let me know your feedback, and hopefully we can solve this. 

Thank again, 

-E

Accepted Solution

Re: Phone upgrade with existing plan

Solved by MVP MVP

If the plan is a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) then you would not be able to upgrade your phone without changing plans.

The idea behind the BYOP plans is that you get more for less in terms of the plan thats because Fido does not have to subsidized a phone for you.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
FidoKevin
Former Moderator

Hey there!

I'm going to send you Private Message to check this out directly with you!

Miyu
I'm a Participant Level 1

I would also like to know the answer to this as I have kept my iphone 4 for the longest time because I didn't want to lose my plan.... yes... iphone4...

Thanks!

If the plan is a Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) then you would not be able to upgrade your phone without changing plans.

The idea behind the BYOP plans is that you get more for less in terms of the plan thats because Fido does not have to subsidized a phone for you.

Hi @Miyu !

When upgrading, there's no need to change your plan. The price of the phone will simply vary based on the plan category in which your plan is in.

Which phone were you looking to get?

Alamy
I'm a Participant Level 3

As Maria said, you could keep your plan.

In my unerstanding about Fido's current policies, I would consider the following situations:

• Since you just got a Smart Plan recently, that should be Tab-24, meaning you are still in a 2-years contract term. So you better not to "change/terminate" your current plan.
  • It looks reasonable to me to "restart" the same Tab-24 term and get a new phone (for free or cost some, on your choice)
  • When you "upgrade" (the term Fido uses), you are signing another Tab-24 contract, which will void the previous one (that you signed on Black Friday), which will cost you a LOT.

I believe Fido representative would work out a solution for you. But I would also suggest to be aware of the following fees (and maybe others that I don't know), before you sign the contract:

• No penalty for the contract you signed on Black Friday (the most expensive one).
  • SIM card, if different (some store might wave it)
  • Upgrade admission fee - This one is tricky (please google relative discussion online).
  • Your old contract billing cycle, and new contract starting date (you might have to pay the whole month fee for the old contract, and you don't want to pay the whole month when it just starts the billing cycle)

Cheers~