Phone contract with a person under 18

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi.

My brother wants to hire a phone plan, but he has 17 years old, is it possible? what requirements he needs?

Regards.

Thks

Accepted Solution

Re: Phone contract with a person under 18

Solved by I'm Qualified Level 2

He may not be legally able to enter a contract, but someone else (his parents?) could open up the account under their name, and he can make the payments. When he reaches 18, have the account transferred to his name.

Whoever is the account owner in the meantime must be aware that it's their responsibility that the bill is paid on time, however.

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

He may not be legally able to enter a contract, but someone else (his parents?) could open up the account under their name, and he can make the payments. When he reaches 18, have the account transferred to his name.

Whoever is the account owner in the meantime must be aware that it's their responsibility that the bill is paid on time, however.

I'm a Contributor Level 1

It's law that he must be age of majority in the province he signs up in due to liability issues. If he is underage he can't really be held accountable for most things under canadian law. He'll want to wait a year or get a prepaid line.