Parental control of data usage

SOLVED
thegooseman
I'm a Participant Level 1

My daughter keeps exceeding her inclusive 2GB data plan. As is the case with most other service providers, is it possible to apply a block on her downloading anymore once the 2GB limit is reached during each billing period?

Grateful for your advice.  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Re: Parental control of data usage

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Thegooseman,

Welcome to the community!

As far as I am aware, Fido does not offer any blocks once a data allotment has been reached. You should note that the provisions in the Wireless code do not necessarily prevent all data overages on your daughter's line.

The new provision limiting data and roaming overage charges states:

The account holder, by default, is the only one who can consent to data overage and data roaming charges beyond the established limits, or authorize another user to do so. ~ taken from here.

The established limits are $50 overage for data and $100 overage for roaming data within a single billing cycle. So it's possible that your daughter (or any other additional line users) could still accumulate overage charges -- just not greater than $50 without your consent. It's also worth noting that the cap applies on a per-account basis (see Wireless code above).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Thegooseman,

Welcome to the community!

As far as I am aware, Fido does not offer any blocks once a data allotment has been reached. You should note that the provisions in the Wireless code do not necessarily prevent all data overages on your daughter's line.

The new provision limiting data and roaming overage charges states:

The account holder, by default, is the only one who can consent to data overage and data roaming charges beyond the established limits, or authorize another user to do so. ~ taken from here.

The established limits are $50 overage for data and $100 overage for roaming data within a single billing cycle. So it's possible that your daughter (or any other additional line users) could still accumulate overage charges -- just not greater than $50 without your consent. It's also worth noting that the cap applies on a per-account basis (see Wireless code above).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers