PROVINCE CHANGE

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

PROVINCE CHANGE

Can I keep my Manitoba phone number if I move to Quebec? 

Is it at all possible to keep your number if you change provinces?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: PROVINCE CHANGE

Hello fidodig,

Welcome to our Community!

It is possible for you to keep your Manitoba phone number while moving to Quebec.

However, please note the following:

- When you will receive a call, you will be charged long distance at all times if you do not have a long distance option.
- When you will call a number from a local calling area other than the one you are in, you will be charged long distance.

Basically, if you are in let's say Winnipeg, calling a Winnipeg number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Winnipeg receiving a call, airtime only will be used. If you are, let's say, in Montreal calling a Montreal number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Montreal receiving a call, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance. If you are in Montreal or in Winnipeg calling a different local calling area, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance.

I hope this helps! See you in the community! Very_Happy
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Hello fidodig,

Welcome to our Community!

It is possible for you to keep your Manitoba phone number while moving to Quebec.

However, please note the following:

- When you will receive a call, you will be charged long distance at all times if you do not have a long distance option.
- When you will call a number from a local calling area other than the one you are in, you will be charged long distance.

Basically, if you are in let's say Winnipeg, calling a Winnipeg number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Winnipeg receiving a call, airtime only will be used. If you are, let's say, in Montreal calling a Montreal number, airtime only will be used. If you are in Montreal receiving a call, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance. If you are in Montreal or in Winnipeg calling a different local calling area, airtime is deducted but you would be charged long distance.

I hope this helps! See you in the community! Very_Happy

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

This is a very old post, but assuming the response is still accurate: if I keep my number and move to a new province, can I change my address in the system or should I leave the old one that matches the local calling area of the number? If I change my address, is there any risk that I'll be forced to change numbers eventually?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Renhebert.

You can change your address but it you want a regional plan, you will need to have the area code changed as well. Hope this helps. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted

Ok but if I don't want a regional plan, I can keep a 514 number with an Ottawa address?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted

@Renhebert and thanks for reaching out Smiley

To get a regional plan, you will need to have a number and address from that region.

It won't work if you have a Montreal number and a Ottawa address.

Hope this helps Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted

I know, I was asking if I don't want the regional plan.

In the original reply to this post, it's mentioned that one doesn't have to change their number if they move. If they choose NOT to change the number, must they keep their old address in the system?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 10
Highlighted

@Renhebert

That's my mistake. I was in the understanding that you were looking to get a regional plan.

If you are not looking to get a regional plan, then keeping your phone number with that address is not a problem at all Smiley

Let me know if you have more questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted

Yes, sorry, I don't want to keep the address, but I want the phone number. 

In other words: 

If I move, I want to keep the phone number but change the address. Is the only way to keep the number to keep a stranger's address in the system?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted

@Renhebert

Yes, you can move, change your address and keep the same phone number if you want.

That's not a problem at all.

Let me know If I have answered your questions Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 10