Overusage data text but just signed up today with Fido

SOLVED
Miiissl
I'm a Participant Level 1

I signed up for the $40/4G plan 2 days ago but just activated the sim today. I received a text today telling me I am $50 over my data limit and it shut my data off. I don't understand what happened and why it did this. Will I be charged for this even though it seems like a mistake? Help please Smiley

Accepted Solution

Re: Overusage data text but just signed up today with Fido

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@Miiissl wrote:
I signed up for the $40/4G plan 2 days ago but just activated the sim today. I received a text today telling me I am $50 over my data limit and it shut my data off. I don't understand what happened and why it did this. Will I be charged for this even though it seems like a mistake? Help please Smiley

Hello Miiissl,

Welcome to the community!

When you start a new contract, your billing cycle usually starts the day after you signed the contract (day 2). In your case, it might start tomorrow since you just activated your SIM today. On the first day (today), you will only have access to 1/30th of any allotments in your plan. Accordingly, you will also get charged for 1 day (1/30th of plan rate). However, if you exceeded 1/30th of an allotment that day, you may also get charged for overages. It's called prorationIn your case, if you exceeded 136.5Mb (1/30th of 4096Mb or 4Gb) today, you will be charged for extra data for today. The actual amount of data used to accumulate the $50 maximum overage charges depends on your overage rate. Your first bill will include both your monthly charges and charges for the first day. 

Since your billing cycle starts tomorrow, you should have access to your full amount of data tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think you will still be charged even though you were not aware of proration.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Miiissl wrote:

Hello Miiissl,

Welcome to the community!

When you start a new contract, your billing cycle usually starts the day after you signed the contract (day 2). In your case, it might start tomorrow since you just activated your SIM today. On the first day (today), you will only have access to 1/30th of any allotments in your plan. Accordingly, you will also get charged for 1 day (1/30th of plan rate). However, if you exceeded 1/30th of an allotment that day, you may also get charged for overages. It's called prorationIn your case, if you exceeded 136.5Mb (1/30th of 4096Mb or 4Gb) today, you will be charged for extra data for today. The actual amount of data used to accumulate the $50 maximum overage charges depends on your overage rate. Your first bill will include both your monthly charges and charges for the first day. 

Since your billing cycle starts tomorrow, you should have access to your full amount of data tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think you will still be charged even though you were not aware of proration.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers