Over charge for texting the US

SirLeChat
I'm a Participant Level 3

I met a girl in Montreal a few weeks ago. She gave me her numbers and she had an odd local number but I didn't really bother checking it up because I'm on an unlimited text Nationalwide. I was snooping over my bills and I saw the horrific ammount I own to Fido, I thought It was an april fool joke. Apperently I was texting the US without really  Whenver I accidently text the US or do I ever volountary text the US , I normally receive those warning texts which indicate that I'll be charge 25 cents . Apperently this time I've abused and texted over 2000 times. No warning what so ever. My bills is terrifying , it's 566$ when my Plan is only 25 bucks. For a mere 5$ extra I could get an unlimited text internationaly. This is ridiculous. Yet they send me a monthly bill every month but not the one from March so I can actually see what's happening. What's happening with you guys ??

7 REPLIES 7
FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hi there SirLeChat

Thanks for reaching out! I'm sad to hear that happened =( 

When you saved the number in your phone, did you save it with a 1, before the area code?

This only applies to International numbers. 

To place a long distance call within North America, you must use the 11-digit dialling pattern (1 + area code + 7-digit number).

That means if you don't dial 1 before the area code, you won't be able to send a text message if it's an International number. 

That's a good way to figure out if a number is International or not, in case you're ever unsure! 

The alert you mentioned only applies if you're outside of Canada & send a text.

When a customer steps outside of the Fido network & starts roaming, we warn them by sending a text. 

If you're still within the Canadian Fido network though while using your phone, there's no roaming involved. 

I'll send you a PM so we can discuss it further 😃 

SirLeChat

I didn't save the number with a 1, she wrote her number herself on my phone. Nobody told me about this... Anyway,  I thought she came from another province so I didn't really bother to ask. As I mention earlier I get notify by texts if I ever texts Canada to US, but it didn't warn me. So I've text back and forward within 2 weeks, with an ease in mind.

I hear you! I got to say, we do always suggest to check the numbers you're contacting beforehand, to avoid unexpected charges. 

I've replied to your PM 😃

SirLeChat

Obviously, it would of been wise, but you still forget the fact that I get notify if I am doing Canada to US texting.

I am stuck in a really ridiculous situation.

Hello SirLeChat,

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure of the details of your plan, but if your pay-per-use texting rate is the same as the current in-market rates, then it would have been $0.45 per text to the US.

Texts.jpg

Taken from here.

Also, I'm not sure if it's a feature specific to your plan, but I've never gotten any text warning notifications if I text the US accidentally or otherwise.

Do you actually know where the girl is from? You first noted it was an 'odd local number', but then stated you thought 'she came from another province'. I suppose it could make sense if you were visiting Montreal at the time. That said, it wouldn't be the first time a girl gave someone a wrong number...

With regards to your bill details, have you signed up for online billing? If you have, your billing details should be available to you online. If you haven't yet, you can do so here. Most companies have moved away from paper billing to online billing.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

SirLeChat

addad.png

1142 x 25 cents = 285.50. This is only for this month , I had the other one which is around 90 bucks too...

Hello again,

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't know the details of your plan...

Another possiblility is that the girl is using an app-based number (see here). In addition to US-based phone numbers, there are numerous calling/SMS apps available providing local numbers for the user. Have you checked the area code of the phone number she entered? It would explain why she noted it was an 'odd local number'.

Each app would have their own stipulations on usage and fees. Most provide free texting, but it's usually only if both parties use the same app. If only one party uses the app, the party not using the app will likely get charged fees.

It also explains why you didn't receive any notifications regarding texting the US. If the app provides a local number to the user, then it's considered local when routed through Fido. It's likely the texts are then further routed via the US. I'm guessing the app is able to collect their fees via the mobile companies.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers