OnePlus 5 wifi calling Fido

I'm a Contributor Level 2 csis
I'm a Contributor Level 2

OnePlus 5 wifi calling Fido

Hello,

I would like to know if Fido WiFi calling is available on my onepls 5. I don't seem to have this option on my phone.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: OnePlus 5 wifi calling Fido

Hey there @Skywalkerblue06, thanks for posting! Smiley

At the moment, Wi-Fi calling is offered on the following Android phones purchased from Fido:

• Google Pixel 2
  • Google Pixel 2 XL
  • Google Pixel 3
  • Google Pixel 3 XL
  • Huawei Mate20 Pro
  • LG G4 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG G5 (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • LG G6 (must be on Android 6.0 or above)
  • LG Q6
  • LG V30
  • LG Xpower 2
  • Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
  • Samsung Galaxy A8
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8
  • Samsung Galaxy S6 and Samsung Galaxy S6 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (must be on Android 6.0.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S8 and Samsung Galaxy S8+
  • Samsung Galaxy S9 and Samsung Galaxy S9+

For iPhones, it's available on iPhone iPhone 5c/5s and above that are running iOS 9.0 or above. 

The option is not available on unlocked phones such as the OnePlus 5 at the moment; these devices are not provisioned for our network. That said, if the phone is not a Fido phone, we unfortunately cannot add the IMEI as it's not in our database of devices. 

I hope that info helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 42
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

I don't think Wifi calling will be available for 1+5.  Unfortunely for Wifi calling to work, your phone needs to be purchased from Fido.  Furthermore, only select Fido phones support Wifi calling. 

Note that this might change in the future as Fido might implement Wifi calling on devices not purchased from Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 42
I'm a Participant Level 2 alcarr
I'm a Participant Level 2

I can confirm this, WIFI calling doesn't work for any OnePlus phone and VOLTE isn't available either

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 42
I'm a Contributor Level 1 MattinToronto
I'm a Contributor Level 1

These statements are my own honest opinions.

I feel that Fido has no intention of opening up voLTE, or WiFi calling or any of these services to customers that have the same phones but made the terrible mistake of not paying a premium to buy it from Fido. You can read a bunch of nonsense reasons why but fundamentally it comes down to dollars and sense (not a typo), and Fido has no desire to spare any of either. Some forum members will say it is because the phones don't have the "same software", sometimes true but often times bunk. The most honest answers you'll run into while reading the forum posts on these topics are ones that basically come down to "well, we'll tell someone it's important to you". Meanwhile if they didn't think it was important to folks, think they'd spend the coin on setting it up in the first place?

Fact is, if you don't want this wireless provider to treat you like a second tier citizen, while charging you hard earned dollars, you can wait for a competitor to do it first and watch them play catch up. Or, you can have the CCTS (Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services) push them into it. Sadly for the latter to work you'll need people to spend 1/100th of the time they do complaining, on filling out the actual complaint form. 

Here's hoping people learn to complain to the right ears. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 42

Thanks for posting @MattinToronto! Smiley

At the moment, VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling are available on select devices purchased through Fido. In terms of the Fido devices themselves, we're always looking to expand our offerings and if at any time the devices these services are offered on change, we'll update everyone Smiley

For unlocked phones, we unfortunately cannot guarantee all services on them as they aren't optimised for our network. Also, in order for certain features to work, the IMEI of the device must be registered in your account and registered the IMEI of an unlocked phone is not possible.

I hope this clears things up!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 42
I'm a Contributor Level 1 MattinToronto
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Well see, that right there is my point.

The device, and OS version can be exactly the same, sans a little bloatware that you'd throw into the mix. So hardware compatibility isn't the issue.The issue as you pointed out is the registering of the International Mobile Equipment Identity number (IMEI). Lots of providers do allow registeration of IMEI. Verizon, ATT, do for sure, I believe T-Mobile does as well. But, guess which companies don't?

My point, to reiterate, is that Fido et al. COULD do it, but WON'T do it as they have no competitors in the market who will do it first, and organizations like CCTS haven't forced them to yet. I have a suspicion that the latter would be a more efficient route even with the included bureaucracy, than waiting for the process to occur by some luck of natural entropy.

It just offends my sensibilities that it is possible to side step the requirement to provide these services by saying the word compatible and not defining explicitly what that means. Customers would be far less likely to pick a service if they were told to benefit fully from being a paying customer, the device has to be compatible with the corporation making more money.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 42

Hey MattinToronto!

We understand where you're coming from and we can definitely try registering your IMEI to see if that would help, however, it is important to note that this will not guarantee that VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling will work with your device as it is not configured for to be compatible with the service. As much as we would like to, we're not able to guarantee any of our services will work on a non-Fido phone. 

If this is something that you would like to do, let us know, and we will send you a PM.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 42
I'm a Participant Level 1 jeranon
I'm a Participant Level 1

I know it is not a guarantee to enable these features, but I am definitely interested in registering my IMEI (a functionality I had with Bell before coming to Fido). I think that is a positive first step towards the potential of getting these features to work.

Please feel free to contact me as well.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 42
Moderator (inactive) FidoRachel
Moderator (inactive)

Sending you a PM right now @jeranon

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 42
I'm a Participant Level 1 ijabour
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi, I would like you to register my onepluse 5 IMEI as well. Wi-Fi calling is important for me as I used to use it with three UK..

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 42
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Interesting thread,  so did any of the devices that were registered work with Fido VoLTE and WiFi calling ?  I'm curious because for the first time in 14 years, I can't get a good signal in my house, where I work out of. I am missing calls and texts or receiving them hours later. Not sure why but, it's a worry if I can't get calls for appointment booking. Either Roger's towers are not sending as strong a signal or my BlackBerry isn't as sensitive to the signal :antenna_bars: 

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 42

Hey @Original_Lucy!

Are you experiencing the same difficulties with your network connection when you put your SIM card in another phone?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 42
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi thanks for asking Amanda .I recently purchased a KEYone from Rogers and the signal in my area has always been fair in my house and with the recent run of clear days it has been better. However, I am now able to use WiFi calling at home, so I am a happy 😊 camper. 

If you liked my answer or I solved your problem please click like or solved.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 42

Hey @Original_Lucy.

I'm happy that everything worked out.

Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 42
I'm a Contributor Level 2 Skywalkerblue06
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Hello

Is fido allow IMEI registration for unlock phone if yes I want to add my oneplus 5 on ny account.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 42