cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Hundred Questions about the Samsung Galaxy S4

ALISHIBAZ
I'm a Contributor Level 3

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4 from FIDO together with a Pulse Plan. I pay $70 per month and I get unlimited air time in North America, unlimited text messages and 2 GB of data monthly. There may be some other things I get but those are the main things.

I also bought three books about this phone:

1) Samsung Galaxy S4 for Dummies, 2) Samsung Galaxy S4 User Manual, 3) Samsung Galaxy S4 Handbook

I'm just guessing. But I think I have at least 100 questions about this phone and I hope this forum is an appropriate place for me to ask these questions.

I also have a few questions about the Adobe Reader and I hope that it will be OK for me to ask about that here.

Now, let me start off with Question Number 1.

1) There are many different kinds of controls in this phone. They are not just as simple as "ON / OFF" switches. For example, consider the two settings:

Settings -> Connections -> Wi-Fi  and  Settings -> Connections -> Bluetooth

Both of these look identical on the surface. They contain a slider with a "O" and "|" on the label. Does "O" mean "ON" and "|" mean "OFF"?

On my phone, you can slide the Bluetooth control so that it displays either the value "O" or "|" while it retains the same color. It displays "O" when you slide it to the left and "|" when you slide it to the right.

This Bluetooth control can either be colored grey or green. When it is grey, I think it is said to be "greyed out".
When it is grey, you can slide it to the left and it will display the value "O".  Or you can slide it to the right and it will display the value "|".

You can also tap on this control and it will change color.
If it is grey and you tap on it, then it becomes green. If it is green and you tap on it, then it becomes grey.
So, all told, it has four possible values: 1) Green "O" 2) Green "|" 3) Grey "O" 4) Grey "|".

Now consider the Wi-Fi control. It has only two values. When you click on it or when you slide it.
The only two values it has is a green "O" (displayed on the left) or a grey "|" (displayed on the right).

I have never seen anything like these controls. I don't understand them at all.
The most puzzling thing is that I can't find a description of how these controls operate. Not anywhere in any of the three books above.

I'm guessing there must be an explanation somewhere in the Help system. But I find it too difficult to click on every possible help screen.

So, can anyone explain what is going on here? I'm not so much interested in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. It is the way these controls work that I'd like to understand.
These kinds of controls appear in thousands of places in my phone. In many places there are controls that look like these but operate somewhat differently.

OK. So, here is my question: Can anyone please explain how these controls work? Also, can anyone tell me if there is any description of these controls anywhere?

So many of the controls in this phone are similar to these that I'd really like to understand what is going on. 

9 REPLIES 9

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi ALISHIBAZ!

I was going through the user guide and can't seem to find any images similar to what you are describing. 

They do however describe a green ''|'' as being ON, and a grey ''O'' as being OFF.

Would you be able to post some screenshots of what your seeing? It may be easier to answer your questions with a few images. Smiley

Thanks!

ALISHIBAZ

It seems a little small and so the control is hard to read. But I'm certain that if you tap on:

Settings -> Connections

You will see the Wi-Fi control.

I just wish it was easier to see.

Do you see it in your User Guide or User Manual? It seems to be called diff names for some reason.

Hey ALISHIBAZ,

I think it would be easier if you could send us a screen capture of what you see on your phone. To do so you simply have to press and hold the standby key and the home button at the same time.  Wait for the border around the screen to flash white, and that's it! 

ALISHIBAZ

FidoRachel,

OK. I've taken a screenshot of that screen and it is in my "Photos" folder on my phone.

It really doesn't look very different from the image I posted above that I took from the User Guide.

But I have a problem with that screenshot. You see, I have a Desktop PC and my ISP is connected to that PC and I use that PC to access the Internet and all the messages I have posted in this forum have been made on that PC.

I'm not at all clear on how I would take that screen shot and insert it into one of these posts.

Besides, like I say, you really won't see anything different than the image I posted above.

Do you see those green colored controls in my post above? You know, the ones you can slide from Left to Right and have an "O" on the left side and a "|" on the right side? When they are on they are green and when they are off they are grey.

Those are the controls I'm asking about. But if you don't know or I haven't explained them well enough, it's really not worth pursuing any further. Besides, I have so many other more important questions.

But I thank you very much for your help.

Smiley

Wufai
I'm Qualified Level 3
I'm Qualified Level 3

Hi Alishibaz,

Gratz on getting a new phone. I have the S4 as well so I can help answer some of your questions. But looking at your posts you seem to have difficultly operating the basic functions of a smartphone.

I would recommand you use the Fido customer service to book an appointment with a Fido representation in your local area, visit them and let a Fido rep show you the basic functions of the phone in person.

Once you have a good idea of the basic functions, the harder questions we can help you with.

ALISHIBAZ

Hey Wufai,

That is a great idea. I never realized FIDO would offer such a thing as a one-on-one meeting with a rep.

I sure could use something like that and I may well just try and do that.

But Ihave so many resources on hand, I'm going to give it a few days and see if I can't make some progress on my own with some help from others. I know quite a few people who are very experienced with this phone.

Heck! I may even send you a private message now that I know you have the same phone and ask for help.

Heh Heh ... Just kidding. If I'm going to ask for help, I'll post it here so that everyone can see it.

But I may very well ask for that one-on-one meeting. That is a terrific idea.

Thanks again.

ALISHIBAZ

Heh Heh Heh!

I find that really funny.

I don't blame you one bit. After re-reading my first post, I must admit that I sound like I must be pretty clueless.

But I've been reading and studying and I keep learning all kinds of things about the phone.

When I first got it, I spent an hour with a very experienced user and she showed me all kinds of things I could do.

I can make and answer calls. I can write and receive text messages and I've even managed to use a browser and visit some sites.

But this one basic question of how these controls work just puzzle me and I've never seen an explanation anywhere.

You can clearly see the kind of controls I'm referring to in my post above.

Perhaps someone knows why it's confusing me?

ALISHIBAZ

temp.jpg

I found out how to create a screen shot and I have it in an app called Ifranview. Now I need to post it into this forum.

How do I do that? Can I post an attachment to a  post?

OK. Now I have it in a JPG file. How do I get that into this post?

AHA! I got it.

@FidoMaria wrote:

Hi ALISHIBAZ!

I was going through the user guide and can't seem to find any images similar to what you are describing. 

They do however describe a green ''|'' as being ON, and a grey ''O'' as being OFF.

Would you be able to post some screenshots of what your seeing? It may be easier to answer your questions with a few images. Smiley

Thanks!

ALISHIBAZ

I'm afraid that I don't know how to post a screen shot.

By the way I assume you are talking about a screen shot from my phone - not from my PC.

I know how to take a screen shot. I just don't know how to then post it here in this forum.

But, just to be clear ... I'm referring to the controls in the phone. When you tap on Settings then Connections, you will see both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections. You will see the two controls there.

But I can show you were to see these controls in the User Guide - assuming we are both referring to the same User Guide.

In the User Guide I have, Chapter 8 is called, "Changing Your Settings" and there is a topic in that chapter called "Wi-Fi Settings". The control is pictured on the first page of that topic.

I just hope we are both referring to the same User Guide.

My User Guide is published by Samsung and it's titled "Samsung Galaxy S4" User Manual. It has 212 pages.