Old format SIM card

Old format SIM card

Old format SIM card

SOLVED
Fido_Castro
I'm a Participant Level 3

Old format SIM card

I have an ordinary size Fido SIM card (officially mini-SIM or 2FF size) which was issued many years ago and working with my LG Xenon phone. Recently I obtained a newer phone and I find that the phone does not recognize the card at all though it fits well in the slot. Taking a closer look I find that my SIM card has a significantly bigger metal contacts area than newer cards and the partitions are not exactly matching. I believe the problem originates from here. My question is will Fido replace my out-of-date, "working" SIM card for free and how? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Old format SIM card

Solved by Former Moderator FidoJudhy
Hey Fido_Castro!

I wish to confirm that you will have to pay for the new SIM card. Old SIM cards will still work with new devices as long as the SIM format matches. Therefore, if you are experiencing issues, they would not be caused by the metal contacts.

I hope this answers your question.
View solution in context
12 REPLIES 12
ren596
I'm Experienced Level 1

@Fido_Castro wrote:
I have an ordinary size Fido SIM card (officially mini-SIM or 2FF size) which was issued many years ago and working with my LG Xenon phone. Recently I obtained a newer phone and I find that the phone does not recognize the card at all though it fits well in the slot. Taking a closer look I find that my SIM card has a significantly bigger metal contacts area than newer cards and the partitions are not exactly matching. I believe the problem originates from here. My question is will Fido replace my out-of-date, "working" SIM card for free and how? Thanks.

My understanding is that you have to goto a FIDO Store and they will transfer over your info from the FULL Size SIM Card to a:
LTE SIM Card, LTE Micro SIM Card, LTE Nano SIM  Card

For Your Phone or A New Handset

Feel free to click "Accept as Solution" if I've answered your question.

If you like my post click The Thumbs Up Below

ren596
I'm Experienced Level 1

@ren596 wrote:

@Fido_Castro wrote:

My understanding is that you have to goto a FIDO Store and they will transfer over your info from the Mimi SIM Card 2FF to a:
LTE SIM Card (Mini SIM 2FF) , LTE Micro SIM Card 3FF, LTE Nano SIM 4FF  Card

For Your Phone or A New Handset

Feel free to click "Accept as Solution" if I've answered your question.

If you like my post click The Thumbs Up Below

Correcting my error the EDIT

Time Limit was UP

Fido_Castro

Well, transferring info an old card to a new card is always free, but buying a new 2FF SIM card from Fido will cost me $10. Would Fido accept the responsibility that what they issued me years ago was a 2FF card that the form factor is now strangely obsolete when compared with newer 2FF cards manufactured under the supposingly same international SIM card form factor standard? If so, I should not be paying for it as it will be very similar to a case of faulty product recall.
ren596
I'm Experienced Level 1

@Fido_Castro wrote:
Well, transferring info an old card to a new card is always free, but buying a new 2FF SIM card from Fido will cost me $10. Would Fido accept the responsibility that what they issued me years ago was a 2FF card that the form factor is now strangely obsolete when compared with newer 2FF cards manufactured under the supposingly same international SIM card form factor standard? If so, I should not be paying for it as it will be very similar to a case of faulty product recall.

I think the Next Thing You Should Do is send a msg to the board MODS they would have full Info.

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator

Hey Fido_Castro!

I wish to confirm that you will have to pay for the new SIM card. Old SIM cards will still work with new devices as long as the SIM format matches. Therefore, if you are experiencing issues, they would not be caused by the metal contacts.

I hope this answers your question.

Fido_Castro

Hi Moderator,

I think you are the right person to answer this question, but I need you to clarify a bit of the term 'SIM format'. My understanding of the term is its form factor (physical measurements). The SIM card in question is a mini-SIM, the most commonly used format so far (2FF), of course issued by Fido. I have been using it with my LG Xenon phone with no problem at all, voice call, SMS, 3G data... But as I put it in a 2-year-old factory unlocked, unbranded LG E720 (Optimus Chic) phone, the SIM card does not work and keep crashing the Android OS (error messages popping up every 10 seconds). Other SIM cards do not do that, and as I popped my Fido card back in my usual phone, it works as normal. I was told by some phone salesperson that my Fido SIM is of an outdated 2FF format that physically is different from newer 2FF cards by the total surface area of the metal contacts and the way the contact areas are partitioned. The plastic part of my card is certainly of the same size as other cards, but the golden metal contact part are significantly bigger than other cards. Do I have to pay for replacing an obsolete SIM card for a newer one of the same 2FF format? If you say they are of the same physical dimensions but of different formats, I am really curious of their respective format names as Google cannot give me an answer. Thanks.

@Fido_Castro wrote:
Hi Moderator,

I think you are the right person to answer this question, but I need you to clarify a bit of the term 'SIM format'. My understanding of the term is its form factor (physical measurements). The SIM card in question is a mini-SIM, the most commonly used format so far (2FF), of course issued by Fido. I have been using it with my LG Xenon phone with no problem at all, voice call, SMS, 3G data... But as I put it in a 2-year-old factory unlocked, unbranded LG E720 (Optimus Chic) phone, the SIM card does not work and keep crashing the Android OS (error messages popping up every 10 seconds). Other SIM cards do not do that, and as I popped my Fido card back in my usual phone, it works as normal. I was told by some phone salesperson that my Fido SIM is of an outdated 2FF format that physically is different from newer 2FF cards by the total surface area of the metal contacts and the way the contact areas are partitioned. The plastic part of my card is certainly of the same size as other cards, but the golden metal contact part are significantly bigger than other cards. Do I have to pay for replacing an obsolete SIM card for a newer one of the same 2FF format? If you say they are of the same physical dimensions but of different formats, I am really curious of their respective format names as Google cannot give me an answer. Thanks.

Hi Fido_Castro,

I can confirm that Judhy was referring to the actual physical size of the SIM card (Mini SIM | Micro SIM | Nano SIM). There would be no difference in the metal contacts between a 2G Mini SIM and a 3G Mini SIM. I am sorry if you were told otherwise.

This is the first time that I've heard of a phone losing it's mind when a SIM card is inserted. 

@ Community - any ideas?

Fido_Castro

It seems I am running out of words to describe my SIM card in question. Well, numbers don't lie. The SIM card plastic measures 25mmx15mm, metal contacts are grouped into a rectangle shape measuring 13mmx11mm, Most importantly, I am not dysmetric, meaning I am able to judge distances accurately. Pull your own SIM card out and see if you get the same measurements! I was not just told otherwise, my very own eyes can tell the visible difference between the two SIM cards I have in front of me. The phones I tried, one works and the other doesn't, are both 2G and 3G capable, non-LTE phones, and I never said that it was the 2/3G capabilities causing the problem. Still not convinced? There are plenty of discussions outside this forum about the same problem I have. Check out the big photo shown in the xda-developers forum thread 1436968. My "outdated" SIM card has metal area resembles the one in blue in the photo. You are going to say "this is the first time that I've seen a SIM card like this" after seeing the photo.

Hey Fido_Castro,

Sorry if I gave the impression that it was 2G / 3G giving the issue. 

Please click on my name and then send me a private message (you'll see the option on the right side of the screen) including your phone number.

Fido_Castro

Can't justify myself to pay for this "upgrade" as LTE is of no use to me. I didn't break the card and clearly there is a flaw in hardware deign of the Fido SIM card, making it not forward compatible. I just need a working replacement SIM card of the same size, and the question is whether Fido would do that for free.
ren596
I'm Experienced Level 1

@Fido_Castro wrote:
Can't justify myself to pay for this "upgrade" as LTE is of no use to me. I didn't break the card and clearly there is a flaw in hardware deign of the Fido SIM card, making it not forward compatible. I just need a working replacement SIM card of the same size, and the question is whether Fido would do that for free.

It's a Case of Planned Obsolescence on the PART of the PHONE manufactures it seems, somewhat out of the providers control. (LTE is Backward Compatible with 2G & 3G)  

I do not think that FIDO charges for transfering data to a NEW SIM {I sent a msg. to one of the MODS on the BOARD and they did not indicate that there was a charge for this service}

Also if there were a charge The First wave of iPhone Owners would have been Screaming & Yelling about it I think, As well as people who hate Apple, since the iPhone was the first to use Micro SIM Cards (NON-LTE)  

ren596
I'm Experienced Level 1

@ren596 wrote:

@Fido_Castro wrote:

It's a Case of Planned Obsolescence on the PART of the PHONE manufactures it seems, somewhat out of the providers control. (LTE is Backward Compatible with 2G & 3G)  

I do not think that FIDO charges for transfering data to a NEW SIM {I sent a msg. to one of the MODS on the BOARD and they did not indicate that there was a charge for this service}

Also if there were a charge The First wave of iPhone Owners would have been Screaming & Yelling about it I think, As well as people who hate Apple, since the iPhone was the first to use Micro SIM Cards (NON-LTE)  

I also have a Mimi SIM {2FF}