OUTGOING CALL-Outside local calling area

SOLVED
rogkp2906
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have been charged extra in this bill and in the bill it says that it is OUTGOING CALL-Outside local calling area. what does it mean and what is the range of my local area. I think that every call in Ontario is considered local. I dont get it. Someone please try to explain.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: OUTGOING CALL-Outside local calling area

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Rogkp2906,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, it's helpful to think in terms of local calling area (LCA) vs long-distance (LD) calling. It's also helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you’re standing.

Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

Depending on the details of your plan, Province-wide or Canada-wide calling may be included. However, not all areas of a Province would be considered local. For example, this graphic represents the LCA for Toronto. Note that those boundaries may have changed as I do not know when it was published. If your plan did have Province-wide or Canada-wide calling, the LD charges would be included in your plan.

I understand many plans do include Province-wide or Canada-wide calling. However, LCAs are not new. In fact, they existed even when actual landlines were the norm.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Rogkp2906,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, it's helpful to think in terms of local calling area (LCA) vs long-distance (LD) calling. It's also helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you’re standing.

Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

Depending on the details of your plan, Province-wide or Canada-wide calling may be included. However, not all areas of a Province would be considered local. For example, this graphic represents the LCA for Toronto. Note that those boundaries may have changed as I do not know when it was published. If your plan did have Province-wide or Canada-wide calling, the LD charges would be included in your plan.

I understand many plans do include Province-wide or Canada-wide calling. However, LCAs are not new. In fact, they existed even when actual landlines were the norm.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Scooby-Doo
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi @rogkp2906 sorry you have occurred charges buddy.

I will try my best to clarify the meaning of what's covered.Happy

The calls you have made in  reference were they calls in rural area + far outside your usual area?  Did you know you have no restriction of local area in big city nada! You can call in Montreal Toronto etc. 

Here I found this info in library... Thread id3262 regarding specifics about local area and network coverage history and today.

I hope it helps!