Not getting LTE on unlocked Xperia M4

SOLVED
Sunil876
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi,

I am new to fido, I am using Sony Expira M4 unlocked phone. My problem is that I am not getting LTE service. In BYOP it is not mentioned anywhere that I will no get LTE service if I am using a unlocked phone. Now I have to wait for 90 days for new phone. I am really disappointed.

Accepted Solution

Re: Not getting LTE on unlocked Xperia M4

Solved by MVP MVP

If you go to the network type/mode what does it say in there.

*Edited title

View solution in context
13 REPLIES 13
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Sunil876 wrote:

Hi,

I am new to fido, I am using Sony Expira M4 unlocked phone. My problem is that I am not getting LTE service. In BYOP it is not mentioned anywhere that I will no get LTE service if I am using a unlocked phone. Now I have to wait for 90 days for new phone. I am really disappointed.

Hello Sunil876,

Welcome to the community!

Have you verified whether your APN settings are correct? This community member was having issues after an update but was able to get LTE working after inputing the correct settings (see here).

Are you in an area covered by LTE?

Many people are able to access the LTE network with unlocked phones providing their phones have compatible bands/frequencies. What version of the M4 do you have? According to GSMArena, some of the versions have limited compatible LTE bands/frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. Coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers. You can get an idea of those towers here

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

*Edited title

Sunil876

Hi,

Thank you for the sudden  reply, My APN settings are exactly same as you provided and the device Sony Expira Aqua M4 meets all the ban frequencies and finally I am just 50 M away from rogers tower still I am not getting LTE service. Is there any other phone setting have to be change in my phone?

*Edited title

Hello again,

Have you verified the tower has the LTE bands/frequencies? Not all towers use all of the bands/frequencies. Have you verified that you have a data plan? Are you able to get data at all? That is, on 2G or '3G'? Have you enabled data?

When did you activate your account? On new accounts it can take a couple of days for all features to be fully functional. Data is usually one of the last to get activated.

As Kapable suggested above, are you sure you have LTE enabled? Your network mode should be GSM/UMTS(WCDMA)/LTE autoconnect.

I would think that most (if not all) SIMs are LTE-capable now; however, if possible, you might consider trying your SIM in another phone and/or trying another LTE SIM in your device. If you don't have access to another device or SIM, you could visit a Fido store and ask them if they could try one in your phone. 

You might consider sending a moderator a PM. They'll be able to go over your account to verify everything is in order on their end. 

**edit** One additional setting in the APN you might check would be the APN protocol. I believe the network currently uses IPv4. My APN settings have IPv4/IPv6. I think either setting would be appropriate.**

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

*Edited title

Sunil876

Hi, 

I think Its only problem with my phone, The sim working good with my friend's samsung galaxy phone and showing LTE getting full signal at my work place. If I am using the same sim with my Sony M4 it showing 4G but only 2 bars of signal strength and if I am trying to open any site its go on searching.........I belive that sony Aqua M4 is a good phone by its specifications. Maybe its not compactable with Fido network or some setting to do apart from APN setting???. I don't feel any difference with my old provider "WIND" that really disappointing me.

*Edited title

@Sunil876 wrote:

Hi, 

I think Its only problem with my phone, The sim working good with my friend's samsung galaxy phone and showing LTE getting full signal at my work place. If I am using the same sim with my Sony M4 it showing 4G but only 2 bars of signal strength and if I am trying to open any site its go on searching.........I belive that sony Aqua M4 is a good phone by its specifications. Maybe its not compactable with Fido network or some setting to do apart from APN setting???. I don't feel any difference with my old provider "WIND" that really disappointing me.

Hello again,

Hmm, that's interesting. Did you purchase your phone from Wind? If you did, it should be the E2306 and yes, have all of the compatible LTE bands. However, you note LTE is not an option as your network type. Wind does not usually disable LTE functionality (or at least, they never did before). 

You can try to use the secret code for the service menu. I cannot verify that code since I do not have that phone. You might also consider searching for the secret code to the service menu yourself. Here's a video showing the process. Once you have entered the service menu, there should be an option to select network type there. The option you would want is LTE(preferred)/WCDMA/GSM. Hopefully that should make LTE availble for you.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

*Edited title

Sunil876

Yes, E2306

@Sunil876 Can you give me the firmware version on the phone please.

Sunil876

26.1.A.3.111

@Sunil876 finally got the phone working correct.

The problem was the phone is from Wind mobile and Wind disabled the LTE in the firmware so we had to flash the Rogers firmware to the phone and now everything is working.

Try turning on Data roaming 

*Edited title

Sunil876

sorry, still the same...

*Edited title

If you go to the network type/mode what does it say in there.

*Edited title

Sunil876

Network Type

WCDMA ONLY

GSM ONLY

WCDMA(PREFERRED)/GSM

*Edited title