No warnings about data overages

SOLVED
Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

My daughter just got the iPhone 6 and a new plan with rather punitive overage fees for data. Even though she watches it she managed to exceed the 2Gig plan. Why doesn't Fido let you know when you're approaching the limit so you can turn it off or buy a small brick of data before months end. She's already paying over $100 monthly and now she'll likely see a $50 charge for data which to me is crazy.

Accepted Solution

Re: No warnings about data overages

Solved by Former Moderator FidoTerry

Hey @Proac,

Most of our plans now offer a datatracker which notifies you when you're close to 90% and 100% of the allowed data.

You also get a text message for the Data Top-Up if your plan is eligible which offer you 2 options: 7$ for 300MB or 15$ for 1GB. The data top-Up won't work if you made a plan change in the middle of your billing cycle however.

You can also track the usage if you log in as the account holder for all numbers on Fido.ca > My account > Services > Mobile.

Did you had a chance to check it out and check if you received the text messages on the phone? Smiley

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Hey @Proac,

Most of our plans now offer a datatracker which notifies you when you're close to 90% and 100% of the allowed data.

You also get a text message for the Data Top-Up if your plan is eligible which offer you 2 options: 7$ for 300MB or 15$ for 1GB. The data top-Up won't work if you made a plan change in the middle of your billing cycle however.

You can also track the usage if you log in as the account holder for all numbers on Fido.ca > My account > Services > Mobile.

Did you had a chance to check it out and check if you received the text messages on the phone? Smiley

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

Oh yes she checked her phone to confirm she never received any sort of notification from Fido. She's only ever gone over one other month I can recall and she never received a notification that time either. She has the data manager app on her phone but by the time she checked she's already over and buying some extra data then isn't possible. On her old plan data was so cheap for overages it didn't matter but that's not the case now. How can I get Fido to start notifying her when she's approaching her 2gig limit? I'm ticked she's likely gonna get dinged for $50 for barely going over. Our billing cycle ends on the 18th.

Hello Proac,

I think you (or she) might consider sending a PM to a moderator, or contact Fido via Twitter or Facebook, or contact customer service. Once they have access to her plan information, they'll better be able to inform you whether her plan has the Data Tracker or is eligible for Data Top-ups.

@Proac wrote:
...I'm ticked she's likely gonna get dinged for $50 for barely going over...

Fifty dollars is the maximum in overage charges allowable under the Wireless Code. Of course, that's assuming she doesn't consent to go over that maximum. Do you know what the overage rate for her plan is? While the rates vary depending on plan, most newer plans have a rate of $5/100Mb. Yes, it's not as good as one of the top-up rates, but using that rate, getting charged $50 would be for an additional 1Gb. Even with the worse rate of $10/100Mb that would be an additional 500 Mb. That's a little more than just barely going over

Cheers

Thanks for the details @Proac!

Besides using a data manager app, does she also use Fido's My Account app?

Also, did she receive a text message letting her know that she had reached $50 worth of overusage?

Did she ever received notifications before?

Let us know!

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

No she's never received any texts warning her about data limits and she's had a smartphone for about 6 yrs now. No she didn't receive a text about $50 overage I just know that's the max amount. I doubt she uses Fido my account app as she's just started having to pay her own bill but it's still under my main account.
FidoTerry
Former Moderator

We're sending you a PM now to check things out. Smiley