No signal, where coverage map indicates service.

tceight
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I've just signed up with Fido, happy with the service except when I go to work I lose all signal.

The coverage map indicates that my work area is covered.

I turned on roaming in case the area is covered by extended network, but my tablet never connected.   I was previously with Telus and had service at work.

Any advice?

14 REPLIES 14
tceight

coverage area.JPG

Hello Tceight,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the map shows the whole area is covered. Unfortunately, coverage maps are not very accurate. The legend notes: The map is a general representation of wireless coverage where indicated. The areas shown are approximate. Actual coverage area may vary from map graphics. 

There do not appear to be very many Fido/Rogers cellular towers in the area.

Port.jpg

Taken from here.

It is strange that you were unable to access extended coverage. Did you try to manually select Fido-EXT? It's not technically considered an area of extended coverage, however in my experience, I have usually been automatically switched to Fido-EXT outside of Fido/Rogers coverage in areas not necessarily designated as extended coverage.

If you are able to access extended coverage, you should be aware that its use is only meant on a temporary basis. Extended use of Fido-EXT may result in its blocked access (see here).

**edit** It should be noted that the Bell and Telus coverage maps are similar in their approximations. For example, the area between Mitchell Corners and Hampton has only Rogers cellular towers. Both of those maps indicate the area as fully covered.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

tceight

If you are able to access extended coverage, you should be aware that its use is only meant on a temporary basis. Extended use of Fido-EXT may result in its blocked access (see here).

I managed to connect to Fido-EXT in an area near my home by selecting Bell as a Network Operator.

Now when at work,

Fido-EXT  and  Bell

show up as an options under Network Operators.

Neither of them will allow me to connect to the network.

Hello again,

When you had service at work with Telus, what device were you using? Presumably it wasn't the LG G Pad III 8.0 from Fido since that device would be locked to Fido. It's possible the antenna on the LG G Pad is not as robust as the device you were using previously. It's not uncommon for different devices to have differences in cellular reception. For example, a professor at Denmark's Aalborg University tested the performance of various mobile phone antennae (see here). I'm not sure how much we can extrapolate from his data because Fido/Rogers uses mostly different bands/frequencies. However, while they did not specifically test the LG G Pad, it does illustrate there can be differences between tablet models as well. 

Was the device you were using unlocked? If so, you might consider trying to use the tablet's SIM in that device to see if it can receive some reception at work.

tceight wrote:...

Now when at work,

Fido-EXT  and  Bell

show up as an options under Network Operators.

Neither of them will allow me to connect to the network.

It's possible you are not able to connect to Fido-EXT (Bell) at work if your device is still receiving some signal from Fido/Rogers. You might consider disabling GSM from your device. Neither Bell or Telus operate GSM networks and data via 2G (E) would be rather slow anyways. Disabling GSM might allow your device to connect to the extended coverage network if it is unable to detect Fido/Rogers anymore.

**edit** It's also possible you are unable to connect to extended coverage if the LG G Pad is unable to receive those signals adequately as well. Possibly further evidence of an issue with the device's cellular reception...**

tceight wrote:...
I've had no trouble with signal anywhere in this area with Telus, including the Hampton/Mitchell's Corners corridor...

That could be because of the reciprocal roaming agreements. Do your recollect if your device connected to Telus-EXT?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

tceight

When you had service at work with Telus, what device were you using?

It's a Mi Max. 

It's possible you are not able to connect to Fido-EXT (Bell) at work if your device is still receiving some signal from Fido/Rogers.

There was about a  -100dB m  signal when I connected to Bell near my home, and the Fido-Ext showed up as a Network Operator.

You might consider disabling GSM from your device.

Thanks for this idea, I just tried it and no change in connection status.

........... LG G Pad is unable to receive those signals adequately as well.

I have put the tablet sim in my phone, along with my Telus sim.

Right now I am seeing Fido at < -140 no connection at all in one Sim.

Bell is at -96dB m  connected as H+

I've also tried to switch which sim is in which slot.

That could be because of the reciprocal roaming agreements. Do your recollect if your device connected to Telus-EXT?

No I don't recall, ive only driven through and never had trouble to bother looking. 

Hope this helps

I'll take any help I can get thanks.  I'd like to get this working in the next few days, or I will have to return it and go back to the other side.

@tceight wrote:

.... LG G Pad is unable to receive those signals adequately as well.

I have put the tablet sim in my phone, along with my Telus sim.

Right now I am seeing Fido at < -140 no connection at all in one Sim.

Bell is at -96dB m  connected as H+

I've also tried to switch which sim is in which slot.

Hello again,

Were you able to manually select Fido-EXT (Bell) using your phone at work?

To be honest, if not, I'm not sure why you're not able to access the extended coverage network at work. It might not be considered a designated extended coverage area, but that does not explain how you were able to connect to Fido-EXT closer to your home. Perhaps it has to do with the physical location of the device relative to the closest tower. Yes, I am aware that your device had a stronger signal when it connected to Fido-EXT near your home. However, depending on the band/frequency used, the tower could actually have been farther away. Merely my speculation, though.

It's a common misconception that any of the mobile providers will suit everyone, everywhere. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. The nature of mobile phones is that they are dependent on cellular signals reaching the phones. Many factors can affect those signals from reaching the phones-- including proximity to cellular towers and interference caused by obstructions between the cellular and the device. That is why no mobile provider will be able guarantee their service.

Each of the mobile providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Their placement may benefit some customers, but it might not benefit others. The roaming agreements (extended coverage) were meant to allow all customers access to the other networks -- at least temporarily.

Sorry I couldn't provide any more help.

Cheers

tceight

Were you able to manually select Fido-EXT (Bell) using your phone at work?

It would not connect to the network when I manually selected it to ether Fido-EXT or Bell network

To be honest, if not, I'm not sure why you're not able to access the extended coverage network at work. It might not be considered a designated extended coverage area, but that does not explain how you were able to connect to Fido-EXT closer to your home. Perhaps it has to do with the physical location of the device relative to the closest tower. Yes, I am aware that your device had a stronger signal when it connected to Fido-EXT near your home. However, depending on the band/frequency used, the tower could actually have been farther away. Merely my speculation, though.

I've experimented with connecting to Fido-EXT towers in different areas.  It seems to be the ones where I work that will not allow connection.

It's a common misconception that any of the mobile providers will suit everyone, everywhere. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. The nature of mobile phones is that they are dependent on cellular signals reaching the phones. Many factors can affect those signals from reaching the phones-- including proximity to cellular towers and interference caused by obstructions between the cellular and the device. That is why no mobile provider will be able guarantee their service.

I'm not sure what you are trying to convey to me here.  You believe I have/had this misconception?  I did check the service area before I purchased my Fido plan. Or that you are implying there is no solution, and that Fido will not prove adequate for my needs?

Each of the mobile providers have their cellular towers strategically placed. Their placement may benefit some customers, but it might not benefit others. The roaming agreements (extended coverage) were meant to allow all customers access to the other networks -- at least temporarily.

I understand this, and as such I was expecting roaming to work as it is mutually beneficial to all parties.  I don't know why I can't roam on these particular towers and am attempting to understand why.

Sorry I couldn't provide any more help.

Thank you for your attempt.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the subject.

Hi @tceight!

How exactly is the environment around your work (concrete buildings, remote area, etc.)? This could also explain why you're unable to connect to the network.

Let me know. Smiley

tceight

"How exactly is the environment around your work"
It's mostly a rural area, with a few concrete buildings, around.

"This could also explain why you're unable to connect to the network."

I don't understand how this can explain that, as I can connect to the bell towers readily with my Telus SIM. The question is, why does it not connect, and EXT not work when I try to connect with my Fido SIM.

Thanks.

Thanks for clarifying @tceight

@FidoMaria was asking you about your environment as it can definitely impact how your phone connects to the network towers. 

I'll send a PM your way so we can take a closer look Smiley

tceight

not doubting,  just trying to understand.

PM replied to.

Thanks again for everyones assisstance.  Smiley

tceight

Thank you for the fast reply, and the welcome.

I've had no trouble with signal anywhere I've gone with Fido in the area, except at work.
I've had no trouble with signal anywhere in this area with Telus, including the Hampton/Mitchell's Corners corridor.

Use at work would be be very very minimal, but necessary. so use of extended coverage would be be adequate for my needs if I can get it to work.

"Did you try to manually select Fido-EXT?"
I'm not sure how I can make this selection manually.
Do you mean to select a different network operator?

Thanks

Hey tceight!

Welcome to the Community!

Is this happening both indoors and outdoors? 

What model of phone are you using? 

Let us know!

tceight

Hi.

Yes indoors and out.  

Sometimes I get a bit of edge signal when I am outside, never anything inside. 

I'm using the LG tablet from fido.

Thanks.