No signal in parts of Brampton

lylesback2
I'm a Participant Level 2

This is my first post here, but I think it's still a very important one.

I recently moved to Brampton (Chinguacousy and Wanless) and there is terrible reception here.

For starters, the only way to receive and make phones calls in my home, is I have to stand at the front door (facing south). If I walk 20 feet to the back of my home, i get no signal (or at most 1 bar) and no 3G.

If i'm anywhere else in my house (basement or backyard) I once again get no signal.

I don't understand why there isn't a nearby tower, this is a very popular community and has been here for a couple of years now. Your coverage map also shows Brampton has being supported, but why cant I, or anyone I know for that matter, get any kind of reception in this part of Brampton?

9 REPLIES 9
Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!
Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add an update since I came across it. Did the reception improved since then? If not, best thing to do would be to contact us via Twitter or Facebook so that we can escalate the situation.
Hope it helps!

moksh
I'm a Participant Level 1

I just moved in west brampton and signal is terrible called fido they told me to switch off 3g . I am wondering when everybody is going forward to 4g and they are pushing back to 2g

Daniel12345

I live on Mayfield / Van Kirk Rd.  and signal went down the drain about 1.5 / 2 months ago.

I have a 5% chance of making a successful call within 1km square area:

(Mayfield / Hurontario / /Wanless/Mclaughlin) = 1 square KM area affected by FIDO service and ROGERS service

If I drive a few blocks south it works perfect.

Is something wrong with the Transmitter on the Tower? 

According to Google Searches and this Forumn, I am not alone.  Something is not right.

As I watch my phone I see EDGE bars going from 5 to 2 bars as if the phone was loosing

sync in a pattern.

I was just told FIDO will roll a truck out in 2 weeks time.  (I was actually hoping sooner)

The reason I am adding this post is just to ensure that FIDO actually rolls the Truck out to test

signal around here.

I will be asking a few friends of mine to sign up and add to this thread as well, as they are

all in this 1km square block and experiencing issues with people hearing them properly and

signal loss.

Lots of construction going on around here, I'm guessing someone broke something.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Hello lylesback2,

That is a really nice area you live in, however It sucks that you don't get great reception.  I don't think ir will get any better unless they plan to install a new tower near that neighbourhood.   The closest tower to you is already over 3.25KM away at Hwy7 West (Bovaird) and Creditview and the next closest tower to you is at Hwy 10 (Hurontario) and Mayfield which is even farther from you at 4KM away, so you aren't gonna get any great signal in your home area.  Do you have a UMA compatible telephone?

TechAgent611
I'm Helpful Level 1

Paolo is wrong. Mayfield and McLaughlin is the closest cell site. I would troubleshoot the phone first - (perhaps with the assistance of customer service?), then consider that we can't guarantee indoor reception due to variations in building construction that absorb/reflect signal.

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates.

Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.
Fido122

I lived in that area since I am a customer Fido, and I agree with lylesback2, very poor signal strenght in the Wanless and Chinguacousy neighbourhood, this should be addressed right away as you are not delivering a quality signal.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

TechAgent611, I already mentioned that site its actually on mayfield between hwy 10 and mclaughlin, its a shared site by other carriers. not only that, but I specifically stated its over 4KM away because i know this for sure I know the area the op is questioning.  its TOO FAR.

lylesback2
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently using an iPhone 4, so in a sense it can do FaceTime, but not VOIP.

And I had no idea that the closest tower was 3KM away, that is ridiculous, but then again, I don't know the range on the towers.

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

That phone does not support UMA, if you had a phone that supported UMA you can turn on the feature, and use your wireless rouder in your home as a cell tower base station and get full signal in your home, providing you add the option on your account