No service for Fido SIM card on Verizon Galaxy Note 4 IV

No service for Fido SIM card on Verizon Galaxy Note 4 IV

No service for Fido SIM card on Verizon Galaxy Note 4 IV

Motionstar
I'm a Participant Level 3

No service for Fido SIM card on Verizon Galaxy Note 4 IV

I purchased a Verizon Galaxy note 4 IV, SM-N910v unlocked Manufacturer refurbished smartphone from US. I live in Coquitlam, BC, I followed Fido in the support site changed the APN to ltemobile.apn when I insert the Fido sim card it keeps displaying an message “SIM CARD IS NOT FROM VERIZON”, and show no service and when I went to network operator search for network it says “ERROR WHILE SEARCHING FOR NETWORK”. I turned the roaming on but still cannot connect to any network. I contacted the US seller they confirmed this is an unlocked phone. Please, I really need help solving the problem. I can't make calls or text and no data at all from Fido. I can only use WIFI.

 

 

 

 

12 REPLIES 12
KAPABLE-K
MVP

Sounds like the phone is still locked to Verizon if it was unlocked it would not say “SIM CARD IS NOT FROM VERIZON”. Also you have to make sure the phone is compatible with Fido.

 

Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:

  • 700 MHz on Band 17;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

According to Samsung website for that phone specs it only has the 2g that is compatible it has the 2100 but on B1 which is CDMA  and Fido is on B4. You can see the specs here.

 

 

CDMA Data - 1x and EVDO Rev0/RevA;
2G GSM: GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900;
2G CDMA: CDMA800, USPCS1900;
3G UMTS: B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850), B8(900);
3G CDMA: BC0(800), BC1(1900); 4G FDD LTE: B4(AWS), B13(700)***



Motionstar
I'm a Participant Level 3

The seller said is unlocked. Verizon is using to build its 4G LTE network had restrictions put on it by the US Federal Communications Commission, which required the company to allow "open access" to the network. So as part of this provision, Verizon has decided not to lock those devices. I also checked the IMEI online and it has clean ESN. I confirmed with the seller the phone can use CDMA and GSM is compatible with Fido network 850 MHZ and 1900MHz and can use the LTE network compatible with 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4.

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

...According to Samsung website for that phone specs it only has the 2g that is compatible it has the 2100 but on B1 which is CDMA  and Fido is on B4. You can see the specs here.

 

 

CDMA Data - 1x and EVDO Rev0/RevA;
2G GSM: GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900;
2G CDMA: CDMA800, USPCS1900;
3G UMTS: B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850), B8(900);
3G CDMA: BC0(800), BC1(1900); 4G FDD LTE: B4(AWS), B13(700)***

...

 

 Hello,

 

  First to clarify, judging by the specifications @KAPABLE-K provided from Samsung, that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone would only have one of the three compatible bands/frequencies, band 4 (1700/2100MHz or AWS). Some other sites also list that phone as band 17 compatible, but I have not found any other verification for that listing.

 


@Motionstar wrote:
The seller said is unlocked. Verizon is using to build its 4G LTE network had restrictions put on it by the US Federal Communications Commission, which required the company to allow "open access" to the network. So as part of this provision, Verizon has decided not to lock those devices. I also checked the IMEI online and it has clean ESN. I confirmed with the seller the phone can use CDMA and GSM is compatible with Fido network 850 MHZ and 1900MHz and can use the LTE network compatible with 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4.

 

  Welcome to the forums!

 

  Have you verified that your phone is set to use GSM networks? Under mobile networks --> Network mode --> your setting should be GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect). If your setting is CDMA/GSM (auto) or similar, I would still change it to a setting without CDMA.

 

  Also, have you always been using Fido? That is, are you sure that there is Fido coverage where you are? Depending on your location, there are some areas in Coquitlam which might not get adequate cell signal.

Coquitlam.jpg

Taken from here, though I cannot vouch for accuracy.

 

  Hope this helps Smiley

 

Cheers

 


Motionstar
I'm a Participant Level 3

Yes, I verified the phone can use GSM network.  The network mode I set to LTE/ GSM/ UMTS selected Automatic.  I just did a search selected automatically shows "unable to connet, try again", and even selected search network shows "error while searching for network".

 

I had been using Fido in the same area for 7 years had no problem.  My husband had a Galaxy S4 for one year using the Fido lte network with no connection problem.   I live in a Greater Vancouver busy area.   


@Motionstar wrote:

Yes, I verified the phone can use GSM network.  The network mode I set to LTE/ GSM/ UMTS selected Automatic.  I just did a search selected automatically shows "unable to connet, try again", and even selected search network shows "error while searching for network".

 

I had been using Fido in the same area for 7 years had no problem.  My husband had a Galaxy S4 for one year using the Fido lte network with no connection problem.   I live in a Greater Vancouver busy area.   


 

  Hmm, okay.

 

  When you changed the network mode, did you reboot the phone prior to trying to connect? Is there any difference if you select GSM only or UMTS only? Again, you might have to reboot the phone after each change...

 

  I assume you have a LTE SIM, but have you tried a different SIM? That is, have you tried your husband's SIM in your phone and vice versa? Also, did you have to alter your SIM in any way?

 

  Additionally, are there more than 1 SIM slot for that phone?

 

Cheers


Motionstar
I'm a Participant Level 3

There are 3 Preferred network mode 1) Global 2) LTE/ CDMA 3) LTE/ GSM/ UMTS. I chose #3 LTE/ GSM/ UMTS. Every time I make a change I always reboot the phone. I have a LTE SIM ( shows LTE Fido on Sim Card). I tried my husband sim card tonight also show the same "no service", "unable to connect, try again". There are only two slots at the back of the phone, top one is for the memory card and bottom one is for sim card. I think there must be something simple but don't know what is it! I'm so frustrated!


@Motionstar wrote:
There are 3 Preferred network mode 1) Global 2) LTE/ CDMA 3) LTE/ GSM/ UMTS. I chose #3 LTE/ GSM/ UMTS. Every time I make a change I always reboot the phone. I have a LTE SIM ( shows LTE Fido on Sim Card). I tried my husband sim card tonight also show the same "no service", "unable to connect, try again". There are only two slots at the back of the phone, top one is for the memory card and bottom one is for sim card. I think there must be something simple but don't know what is it! I'm so frustrated!

 

Hello again,

 

  I understand your frustrations. Verizon is notorious for being difficult...

 

  But first some potentially good news? With regards to the 'SIM CARD IS NOT FROM VERIZON WIRELESS' notification, apparently the phone should still work with non-Verizon SIMs. There may be a way to permanently remove the notification if you root the phone, but to temporarily remove it you can try:

 

Go to settings >> applications >> application manager >> all
Then find an application called "activation agent".
Click on it, then click force stop.

 

  This video shows a different method of temporarily removing the notification.

 

 I believe the notification will reappear after a reboot. 

 

  Okay, back to Verizon being diffcult. After doing some research, some people have noted that Verizon often disables bands/frequencies which they do not use. So while technically unlocked, those bands frequencies are not actually available. They also note that Verizon blocks access to the secret codes which could normally tell you which bands/frequencies the phone has access to.

 

  Others have noted that those bands/frequencies are only disabled until the phone is activated on Verizon. That would explain why some people have been able to use their phones on different networks. Some people have even claimed to have driven to the border to just to gain access to the Verizon network for activation. They never specified what activation entailed. Are you close to a border? It could be as simple as accessing the network...

 

  Another -- albeit unlikely -- possibility is that the phone is region-locked (which would be different from SIM-locked). Samsung implemented a region-lock designed to prevent grey market imports (ie US --> EU and vice versa). Essentially, it requires the phone to be used in the home region for a brief specified time before becoming region unlocked. I'm not sure if refurbishment would have reinstated that lock. I said it is unlikely because I believe Canada is considered the same region as the US.

 

  Sorry, I know none of what I have mentioned actually solves your situation. Your best option is to search the internet and other forums for solutions to situations similar to yours. I believe it is likely a Verizon issue rather than a Fido issue and reaching a wider audience might prove fruitful.

 

  I hope someone else can provide a solution for you Smiley

 

Cheers


Hello,

 

  Perhaps I wasn't fair earlier when I said Verizon was being diffcult. Verizon likely isn't trying to be diffcult. After thinking about it some more, having to access the network makes some sense. Verizon's network is primarily CDMA, so a phone would require access the network to authenticate its mobile equipment identifier (MEID) number. International mobile equipment identity numbers (IMEIs) only apply to GSM. Authenticating the MEID could enable additional phone functions, such as access to the SIM and GSM. A non-carrier CDMA/GSM phone may not require both MEID and IMEI numbers to be authenticated, but since it is a Verizon phone, it makes sense that it would have been designed to primarily function on the CDMA network.

 

 **edit** You might consider inquiring with one of the Canadian CDMA providers whether they can authenticate the MEID. However, since CDMA has been largely discontinued in Canada and is being phased out, there may or may not be any CDMA providers left in your area. That said, it may have to be done on Verizon's network.

 

Cheers


I did some reading on this also some people over at XDA said they havd to reset the phone with a Verizon sim inside for it to authenticate then swith the sim.



Motionstar
I'm a Participant Level 3

Thanks you for showing me about temporarily removing the notification. It works! I wish there was an easy way to permanently remove the notification. Glad that you mentioned about the bands possibly being blocked which could be another reason why my phone does not work in Canada. My home is about 40 mins. drive to the US border. On the XDA forums, I read some of the related Fido connection problems on Verizon phones but I didn't see any solution in the end. I sent another complaint to the seller yesterday. They asked for the phone IMEI #. After I gave it to them, they asked me to return the phone in order to exchange for another one, I am not sure why. Now, I have to wait two weeks. Hopefully, the same problem won't occur on the second phone. Although I didn't find a solution for my phone thanks for all of your suggestions and I learned more about phone networking.


@Motionstar wrote:
Thanks you for showing me about temporarily removing the notification. It works! I wish there was an easy way to permanently remove the notification. Glad that you mentioned about the bands possibly being blocked which could be another reason why my phone does not work in Canada. My home is about 40 mins. drive to the US border. On the XDA forums, I read some of the related Fido connection problems on Verizon phones but I didn't see any solution in the end. I sent another complaint to the seller yesterday. They asked for the phone IMEI #. After I gave it to them, they asked me to return the phone in order to exchange for another one, I am not sure why. Now, I have to wait two weeks. Hopefully, the same problem won't occur on the second phone. Although I didn't find a solution for my phone thanks for all of your suggestions and I learned more about phone networking.

 

Hello again,

 

  No worries! I think permanently removing the notification would require rooting the device because it would entail deleting activation agent, which is considered a system app.

 

  I'm curious if it's just a matter of sending you one that had already been activated on Verizon...

 

  Fingers crossed that your second phone works! Smiley

 

Cheers


Glad you were able to reach a solution. 

They're probably going to exchange the device with one that supports our network. 

 

Keep us updated Motionstar!