No phone service on Roam package

SOLVED
chickee
I'm a Participant Level 3

How do I get my phone to work on the Fido Roam package? I finally figured out how to get data but I can't use my phone or send SMS messages. To make it worse, I can't use 611 because I have no phone service

Accepted Solution

Re: No phone service on Roam package

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@chickee wrote:
How do I get my phone to work on the Fido Roam package? I finally figured out how to get data but I can't use my phone or send SMS messages. To make it worse, I can't use 611 because I have no phone service

Hello Chickee,

Welcome to the communty!

Where are you travelling at the moment? Have you verified that your phone is compatible with the local service provider you're connected to? I understand you're connected to data, however, it might be LTE -- does not allow voice or SMS.

If you do a manual network search, are there other networks you can connect to? Some of them might have bands/frequences for 2G or '3G' that your phone could connect to for voice and SMS.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@chickee wrote:

Hello Chickee,

Welcome to the communty!

Where are you travelling at the moment? Have you verified that your phone is compatible with the local service provider you're connected to? I understand you're connected to data, however, it might be LTE -- does not allow voice or SMS.

If you do a manual network search, are there other networks you can connect to? Some of them might have bands/frequences for 2G or '3G' that your phone could connect to for voice and SMS.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

chickee

Thanks for responding. My phone is LG3 & I did check if my phone is compatible & it said that I was all good. I went to the Pick a network and every network I tried said. Can't register now, try again later.

@chickee wrote:
Thanks for responding. My phone is LG3 & I did check if my phone is compatible & it said that I was all good. I went to the Pick a network and every network I tried said. Can't register now, try again later.

Hello again,

Have you tried to reboot the phone after you picked the network?

I assume you verified your travel destination is compatible with Roam as there are some destinations which would require a travel package. 

Cheers

chickee

Hi Cawtaw, I'm not able to connect to a network. It just keeps saying try again later

@chickee wrote:
Hi Cawtaw, I'm not able to connect to a network. It just keeps saying try again later

Hello again,

Are you not able to connect to any network anymore? How about the original one which connected to data?

Have you tried to select 2G only  or 2G/'3G' to see if you can connect? I understand it wouldn't be ideal if you wanted data as well, but you would be able to make calls and send/receive texts. You should also be able to use data on those networks.

Have you tried to remove and re-insert the SIM -- just to make sure it is seated properly?

Did you have any previous roaming blocks on your account? For example, had you ever lost a phone or had one stolen?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey chickee!

Where are you travelling?

Are you unable to connect to a network at all or are you connecting but just not able to use voice and sms?

Let us know!