No Service

I'm a Contributor Level 1 JohnBJr
I'm a Contributor Level 1

No Service

I'm posting this with great sadness. I thought Fido was going to be a good company and provide reliable cell service.

I was downtown Ottawa tonight for a special presentation that's part of the Canada 150 celebrations & I had full signal but could not do anything with my phone.  I tried resetting it and still nothing.  I figured it was network congestion. I then notice other around me posting on facebook or even going live. I asked them what cell service provider they were using and to my surprise they all said FREEDOM. What Freedom? 

I then asked my boyfriend for his phone. (he's on freedom) and fair enough I was able to connect with no issues.

So here's my question why am I paying more for cell service? Also, I got thinking let's see how bad it really is.  I noticed I could not even txt & or place any calls.  So I'm assuming I would not be able to dial 911 if an emergency happened.  What if there was a big nationwide emergency my phone would not work because of network congestion? 

I'm very disappointed in Fido's network performance & I not happy to find out that  I'm paying more and get less service.

I would like a call, email or some kind of communication from Fido. This is not acceptable. As I finish posting this post my phone still doesn't work unless I use wifi. 

thanks for reading.

Cheers

John

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Re: No Service

Hi @JohnBJr!

I'm sad to read of your experience. Sad Is it however possible that this isn't due to network congestion? Troubleshooting would be required to determine the cause of the issue.

Did you try turning off your phone and turning it back on or resetting your network settings?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7

Yes i did. There was no deference. I only got service againg a few minutes ago when my phone started working.

I will be calling Fido when they open to see what they can do.

Thanks for your advise.

Cheers
John
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
Former Moderator FidoCatherine
Former Moderator

Hi there @JohnBJr

Just to clarify: your phone is connected to the network now? Smiley That's good news! 

Is it possible your phone temporarily disconnected from the network last night? Did you attempt a full power-cycle at that time? (Turn the phone Off, remove the SIM card, put it back in, turn the phone back On)

This often helps any phone to connect to the network once more, if it's having some sort of "temporary glitch" in connecting. If you'd like to continue discussing this together, let me know and I'll send you a PM through here. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted

I called customer service this morning. They did a few things to solve the issue but when they could not they told me to factory reset my phone. I did not do that. My phone started working about an hour i got off the phone with them. I still dont know what caused the issue. I must say i might be changing providers. This actualy scares me because I have family not doing to well and being without a phone is not good. 

They did not even offer me any type of credit for the time i was out of service.

Cheers

John

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7

We all rely heavily on our phone, so I completely understand your concern @JohnBJr!

I'll be happy to take a second look into this with you Smiley

I'll send you a PM shortly to take a closer look at the situation.

Talk to you soon!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello JohnBJr,

I understand your disappointment with not being able to use your services at the Canada 150 event. However, it's important to note that the loss of cellular service within a large congregation of people is a common phenomenon and is not limited to Fido (see here, here, here, here, etc...). The nature of cellular service is that the phones/devices need to connect to the surrounding towers. If there are a lot of people gathered, all of their devices compete for access to the same towers. In addition, the changing use of data (ie streaming services or going live) adds a further strain on the networks.

While all of those examples above relate to large crowds in relatively small areas, the same issue can happen in a more broad area. For example, disasters (natural or otherwise) can affect a quite large area. If everyone tries to contact loved ones or emergency services at the same time, the networks can also become quickly overwhelmed. In such states of emergency, even hard-lines can become swamped.

So why were customers with Freedom able to use their services at the same event? Do they have a better network? No. In fact, their networks are less robust than those of the Big 3 (Fido uses Rogers' network -- one of the three). Rather, it likely has to do with their relatively small customer base. As of April 2017, they had just over 1 million customers (see here). Compare that with Fido's base. Four years ago, they had more than 3 times that number of customers (see here). Add to that, the number of Rogers, Chatr, and Mobilicity customers who also use Rogers' network. The situation would be similar with Bell or Telus and their subsidiaries. That's approximately only 1/3 of the people trying to access Freedom's networks.

If you're considering changing providers, you should make sure their services suit your needs. In this case, Freedom's smaller customer base seems to be a benefit in larger venues. However, their coverage is still limited outside of cities. I have previously written about other possible limitations of their service. Only you can decide which provider suits your needs best.

@JohnBJr wrote:

They did not even offer me any type of credit for the time i was out of service....

Given the nature of cellular phones, there are many factors which can affect service (see here). That's why no mobile provider will be able to guarantee their service. That said, cellular service is generally reliable -- assuming within coverage. However, if you are concerned about family not being able to get in contact, you might consider also getting a landline.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7