Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

SOLVED
tanilolli
I'm a Participant Level 3

Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Any word on if the Nexus 5X and 6P are going to be available on Fido?

Accepted Solution

Re: Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Solved by Former Moderator FidoCatherine

Hey tanilolli, 

We can't speculate on any products that aren't yet launched here.

Stay tuned on Fido.ca/phones for any updates there Smiley

View solution in context
122 REPLIES 122
BEric
I'm a Participant Level 1

I've been a Fido customer a long time. Upgraded from the Nexus 4 to the 5 and have been very pleased with it. Hope Fido will be getting the Nexus line back. 

Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

BEric I think the only hope is that Rogers doesn't sell as many as they hope and then ( like the HTC One M8) they hand it down to Fido to help bolster sales.

harry911

Might be switching to Bell once my contract ends in January, we haven't seen a new android since the s6 which is ridiculous. EVERY carrier has more phones than fido

Hey harry911,

We'd hate to see you go Sad 

You can always buy an unlocked device and use it on our Network if there's no phone you like at the moment, just an option! 

Keep an eye on our website for future updates.

BenNYbOy84_Mtl

I'd also like to upgrade my phone to the Nexus 6P. Why not offer it to your loyal customers? A lot of websites have deemed it the best Android phone of 2015. 

List of carrieres who have the Nexus 6P available as of Dec 31st : Rogers, Bell, Telus, Koodo, Videotron, Wind Mobile.

List of carriers who don't : Fido and Virgin. 

Sad

Hey BenNYbOy84_Mtl,

Thanks for reaching out Smiley 

We don't offer that phone for now as you may know, but keep an eye on our website for future updates! You can also always buy it directly from the manufacturer! 

Clavulin
I'm a Participant Level 2

I am also interested in getting the nexus 6p as well...Why has fido not decided to add this phone to their line up?

We certainly don't want to see you leave Majesty00.

I'm sending you a PM to verify your options.

Talk to you soon Smiley

KevenP
I'm a Participant Level 2

Toujours pas de nexus chez fido sa devient coutume.
Proac
I'm Qualified Level 1

^^^^^^^  Yeah whatever this means I'm sure I agree with it.

jskevis
I'm a Contributor Level 2

If Fido would stop wasting money on those incredibly awful commercials, then maybe they would be able to carry some decent phones like the Nexus 6P
Aurore1

We can all agree that fido is not getting the nexus 5x or 6p
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Yep, and neither are Koodo nor Virgin.

From a quick look at the phone selection for all 3, apparently they decided that the only $300+ devices they would carry are only Samsung devices - with Fido making an exception with the LG G4.

Considering that Fido still had Nexus 5's for a long time after it was discontinued, I'm fairly confident that the demand for non-Samsung devices is too low to justify carrying them (except for the ultra-cheap).

Tjalbout72

Fido used to carry the Nexus 5, so they use to offer that "specialty olive oil". They skipped the Nexus 6 and apparently now the 5x and 6p. And all new plans no longer offer Fido Dollars. If Wind can get their act together next year (they just today announced a new round of funding), then it's high time for a switch.

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Even if Wind was available here, I pay less now (including having purchased the 5X full price from Google, and thanks to Fido's Black Friday promotion) than I would with Wind for something similar. Plus I don't have to deal with Wind's poor network (that I've been told), and I can travel across the country without paying extra.

In short, I cannot find any reason I would like to go with Wind.

jskevis

Looks like after 8 years with Fido, I might have to go in the same direction as others and pay off the $50 subsidy balance and switch to either Telus Bell or Videotron They all will match my plan price or in one case come very close to it and at least I will be able to get the phone I want the NEXUS 6P

Hey jskevis and thank you for using the Community.

It would be really too bad to see you go. 

However, we don't have information about that phone, and it's not part of our selection.

I invite you to keep an eye on Fido.ca for any upcoming devices Smiley

jskevis

Well if you do not have any information on the Nexus 6P, then maybe you should check with your parent company Rogers, or even Videotron, Telus or Bell or read the review of it in the Nov 16th online edition of Forbes Magazine titled "

Nexus 6P Review: Google Outshines Galaxy S6 And iPhone 6S", 

instead of copy and pasting I invite you to keep an eye on Fido.ca for any upcoming devices Smiley Happyon every response to clients requests, don't you think people already checked the website before asking for the phone here?? I find it a very interesting business model, where a large National company like Rogers would rather lose long time clients by not making available what is already available at Rogers to all their clients, be it on Fido, Chatr or Mobilicity.

@jskevis wrote:

...I find it a very interesting business model, where a large National company like Rogers would rather lose long time clients by not making available what is already available at Rogers to all their clients, be it on Fido, Chatr or Mobilicity.

Hello Jskevis,

I don't think many people actually understand the business model. Currently, you are not a Rogers client. You are a Fido client. While Rogers did purchase Fido, they remain a separate entity and are still run and managed independently. Fido's inception was as an alternative to the Big three and following the purchase by Rogers, was re-branded as a discount wireless brand. You may argue the extent that term, but over the years, Fido's plans have remained relatively cheaper than those of the Big three. A lower plan rate does come at a cost, though. In this case, that cost is reflected in a smaller selection of phones. Increasing selection necessarily increases a company's overhead, which in turn would inevitably to lead to higher cost plans. Isn't a cheaper plan one of the reasons many people came to Fido in the first place?

That means that the phones which are selected to be offered needs to be the best sellers to the masses (or slightly cheaper alternatives). Unfortunately, what's deemed popular with the masses might not necessarily be the latest and greatest in the mobile tech world. Yes, if a certain model is proven to be popular with the masses, then Fido might eventually carry it. Some have referred to it as getting Rogers' leftovers, but I think it has more to do with proven sales.

People will argue that some other discount companies are carrying the latest and greatest. Well, that's their business model, their plan. I have said it before that there is more to a mobile phone company than just the phones they offer.

For some reason, people seem to feel that since Rogers owns Fido, they should receive all of the same sevices and phone selection of Rogers. But why should that be so? You're not paying as much as Rogers customers are. It would be similar to purchasing a Honda or Toyota and expecting the same perks and luxuries of an Acura or Lexus. Honda and Acura are owned by the same company as are Toyota and Lexus. Do people complain that their Toyota doesn't come with a leather-bound steering wheel, or real wood trim, or Lexus road-side assistance? Do people go to a Honda dealership and ask to purchase a RLX? I don't think so. I'll admit, the situations are not entirely the same, but the premise would be similar.  

Something to ponder Smiley

Cheers

jskevis

I am well aware of the history of both Rogers (formerly known as Cantel-ATT Canada) and Fido (formerly known as Microcell Telecommunications) and am aware that it is run as a separate entity but the profits or losses still figure in Roger Communications bottom line. When a new phone comes on the market Rogers has the final decision on whether Fido or Chat R will carry it all be it with some imput from the managers of Fido, it is Rogers who negotiates with the manufactuers (Samsung, Apple, LG, Sony, Huawei, etc) just as it was Rogers who decided that Fido will begin selling Home Internet service in parts of Ontario just as it was Rogers who decided that will sell home phone service, and it is through Rogers Mastercard that a client can use their Mastercard bonus dollars to purchase anything from Rogers or Fido.

As for the cheaper plans yes there may be some but others are the same such as the 1 gi data unlimited talk and text etc $55 both at Fido and Rogers in Quebec, yes some prices are higher on Rogers others are the same.

As for the business model, if i owned 2 grocery chains, 1 large one and a smaller one and if a regular loyal client at the smaller one requested something that that was sold only at the larger one, in a heartbeat i would make sure an inter-company transfer was done to satisfy that client rather than risk losing them to a competitor.

Your comparison of going to a Honda or Toyota dealership just does not work in this case, it is just like comparing me going into an Apple store and wanting a Samsung GALAXY S6 or me going into a Samsung store requesting a IPHONE

@jskevis wrote:

...Rogers has the final decision on whether Fido or Chat R will carry it all be it with some imput from the managers of Fido...

Hello,

I think the Fido's CEO would beg to differ.

@jskevis wrote:

... it is Rogers who negotiates with the manufactuers (Samsung, Apple, LG, Sony, Huawei, etc)

That is where I think you're mistaken. What you suggest is why I think Koodo can carry the same phone line-up as Telus. Since Koodo was started by Telus, it is overseen by Telus. However, Fido was purchased by Rogers and is still run independently. In the end it might be Rogers' bottom line, but it is up to Fido to make a profit to help in that bottom line.

@jskevis wrote:

As for the business model, if i owned 2 grocery chains, 1 large one and a smaller one and if a regular loyal client at the smaller one requested something that that was sold only at the larger one, in a heartbeat i would make sure an inter-company transfer was done to satisfy that client rather than risk losing them to a competitor.

I don't believe your analogy is quite correct either. Look at No Frills and Loblaws. They have many of the same items but they are generally cheaper at No Frills. Some people like Loblaws for their additional selection of products and services ie No Frills won't bag your groceries for you. No Frills stocks most of what the average customer wants. People go to No Frills because they are generally cheaper than Loblaws. They don't go there expecting the same wide-ranging product selection as Loblaws. I'm pretty sure No Frills won't be willing to order stock of a specialty olive oil for even their most loyal of customers. If someone wants a specialty olive oil, they will go to Loblaws or other speciality shop. 

Assume for one moment that No Frills would bring in that specialty olive oil (and that is a big assumption) for a loyal customer. Would the customer expect to pay the same price for it as at Loblaws or would they expect a slightly cheaper cost because it was from No Frills? If it's the same price as Loblaws, then why not just go to Loblaws?

I admitted that my car analogy was not perfect. It was an attempt to illustrate that if you are paying for a lesser level (read discount wireless), you shouldn't expect the same perks as someone who paid more for a higher level. Note the quality of the network and general service would be the same. It's the additional features which are at issue.

I do think this No Frills/Loblaws analogy works much better. Thanks! Smiley

Cheers