Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

SOLVED
tanilolli
I'm a Participant Level 3

Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Any word on if the Nexus 5X and 6P are going to be available on Fido?

Accepted Solution

Re: Nexus 5X / Nexus 6P

Solved by Former Moderator FidoCatherine

Hey tanilolli, 

We can't speculate on any products that aren't yet launched here.

Stay tuned on Fido.ca/phones for any updates there Smiley

View solution in context
122 REPLIES 122
jskevis
I'm a Contributor Level 2

@Cawtau wrote:

you shouldn't expect the same perks as someone who paid more for a higher level.

I am not asking for any perks, nor for anything for free, nor for any discounts, I am asking for a product not a service.....anyway save yourself the time of responding...am done with this so called forum...

Cheers

@jskevis wrote:

I am not asking for any perks, nor for anything for free, nor for any discounts, I am asking for a product not a service......

Hello,

I know. You were looking for the elusive specialty olive oil.

That last bit in my previous post wasn't directed at your particular situation. It was directed at the whole 'Rogers owns Fido so we should get everything Rogers gets' sentiment which is rather pervasive on here. You questioned my dealership analogy so I restated it. Unfortunately it was out of context.

Cheers

jsolsona
I'm a Participant Level 1

What would I have to do if I want to buy my own Nexus 6p and have it as a "bring your own device"

Is that possible?

It's extremely irritating that Fido does not provide a good selection of phones. I still have a couple of months left in my contract but my nexus 5 is not doing well, so I need a new phone. It might be time to move to a new provider Sad

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@jsolsona wrote:

What would I have to do if I want to buy my own Nexus 6p and have it as a "bring your own device"

Is that possible?

It's extremely irritating that Fido does not provide a good selection of phones. I still have a couple of months left in my contract but my nexus 5 is not doing well, so I need a new phone. It might be time to move to a new provider Sad

To purchase your own Nexus 6P, go to the Google Store and purchase your device there. The 6P uses a nano SIM while the Nexus 5 uses a micro SIM, so you may need to get a new SIM, unless you already have a multi-size SIM. If you have FidoDollars, you can use them for this, but apparently only if you order your SIM from 611, not in store. In either case, you can put the SIM in your new 6P and keep going for the few months of your plan.

You can also switch to a new plan, but you'll have to pay whatever's left of the subsidy you got on your Nexus 5.

About switching to a new provider: you might be disapointed. Unless you're in the very narrow case where Wind makes sense, you'll find that only the big names (Rogers, Bell, Telus) carry it, and they charge a big monthly cost. Which makes the final cost (over 2 years) higher than purchasing the device from Google and using a BYOD plan from Fido or Koodo, depending on how much data you want.

Also, I think they're all only carrying one "model" of the 6P, that is one color, and I think the lowest amount of available space, which would be 32GB. If that fits your need, great! If not, well either you live with it or you purchase from Google anyway!

Dalsim007
I'm a Participant Level 2

Same here. Very dissapointed. My plan went up 5$ because my device got paid off. How does that make any sense?

Rep says fidelity rebate has to go because my "plan" is over and phone paid... Great way to keep a customer.

Now I want to change phone since my Nexus4 is acting up but no way to get a Nexus phone from Fido.

I even propose to buy my phone from Google directly and bring it with Fido, but they even refuse to keep the loyalty discount and I lose the FidoDollars for that Spotify **bleep**.

Why in the world would anyone bring their device to you if you don't offer anything to keep even a long time customer!

Hey Dalsim007,

Monthly discounts always have an expiry date and it's not always possible to get it back especially if it's no longer available. 

If your current plan suits your need, there's no need to change it to one of our new plans including Spotify Premium! 

We surely wouldn't want to see you go. 

Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter and I'll be happy to see how I can help Smiley

jskevis

Unless the phone is a Apple or Samsung product we can forget about seeing Nexus 6P at Fido anytime soon. You go to a Fido or Rogers kiosk and you will think you are in a Apple or Samsung store, even the employees try and push the latest Samsung or Apple phone on you when you are interested in another phone, must be some sweet deal Rogers has with Apple and Samsung
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

I suspect it has everything to do with demand.

Apple users will pay anything for the latest shiny overpriced iThingy.

Samsung is the top seller in the Android market.

I would love to see the number of devices sold for each make/model. But there's no way Fido (or any other carrier) is ever going to provide that information, so all we have are speculations. But I would venture a guess that the vast majority of customers want a Samsung, if only because that's the only ones they hear about, not just through Fido - a lot of reviews I see, including Protégez-vous' September issue, puts the Samsung at the top.

And the stocks of unsold phones do have a cost for the carriers.

I don't think Fido will ever carry the either Nexuses.  Last I checked, Rogers, Telus, and Bell only carried one model of the 6P (the one with the smallest amount of memory) in a single color.

I'm not happy about it, but I gave up and purchased a 5X straight from Google and switched to a BYOD plan. I calculate that if I keep that phone for its entire update life (expecting 3 years), it will cost less than using a subsidy anyway. Plus I can switch plan anytime without penalty.

As for my FidoDollars, I might use them to purchase a phone and resell it.

ymchien80

Right... but there are not even any "cheap" phones that you can buy with fido dollars and resell at a good price (better than current kijiji offerings for "new" phones).

The likes of iphone and samsung are way too expensive. In the end you are still loosing the fido dollars.

jskevis

Lol maybe in 6 months or a year. LG3 1year later, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 14 months later. LG 4 8 months later ZTE Axon 5 months later.I Could guarantee if the Nexus 6P was manufactured by Samsung or Apple they would have it on Day of release.
rmclea5050

Time to look at another service provider I think. Why be left behind with the new technology when its out there with other carriers... Fido needs to step up their game and supply its customers with the latest phones...

waxluthor

Fido's selection is getting worse every year. 2nd Gen Moto E is another example. Well reviewed, affordable, and popular phone that EVERY OTHER Canadian provider carries it. This includes ROGERS AND CHATR. I guess Fido's parent overlord Rogers figured most their customers are on grandfathered 6GB or City Plans and rather buy unlock phones outright??

Fido Dollars is coming to an end and there's nothing being offered that interests me.

nub4lyfe

Please bring the nexus 6p to fido! Fido needs to up their game in phones.

ymchien80

i've got fido dollars i need to spend.... waiting for the nexus 5x....

igorbbb1

I really hope the Fido will get at least Nexus 6P (and maybe Nexus 5x as well).  I need it to replace my old phone and really counting to get it before or during the Christmas time, and a cpuple my friends who are on Fido want Nexus 6P as well. Let's see how Fido care about their business. At least there are some news on Rogers , Bell and Wind , so probably Nexus 6P will start showing up on Virgin Mobile and Fido before Christmas. Sometimes changing carier

rmclea5050

Hoping that Fido gets hold of these phones !! I am due for an upgrade in the coming months and my eyes are on the 6P !!!

jskevis

Fido has no Nexus products listed because they are not manufactured by Apple or Samsung...maybe they will add the 6P a year after its release like they did with the LG 3 or wait 6 months like they did with the LG 4. Fido used to be a innovative company until recently replacing Fido dollars with This daily Vice trash and spending money starting a Vice TV channel that no one cares about.
Medilyndelacruz

If we have enough people wanting the nexii, fido may get it. 

A97
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Quite possibly. One thing's for sure: we want them!

gfhuh

I would love the 5x.  C'mon Fido,  show us some love. 

(my nexus4, is barely hanging on to life,  need a replacement A. S. A. P) 

P. S Would also love  the 6p, or the Sony xperia z5 (anything recent and actually good) 

Hey gfhuh.

Thank you for showing interest in those phone models.

However, I don't have any information on my end for those devices,

Keep an eye on Fido.ca for updates Smiley