Nexus 5 price?

I'm a Participant Level 2 jln84
I'm a Participant Level 2

Nexus 5 price?

Does anyone else find it odd that if you buy a nexus 5 from fido (or any of the big 3) you pay $150 above retail? Does fido do pricematch? It seems a bit silly that I need to order my phone online directly from google when I'd be completely happy to fork over my $350 to fido (not the $500 they're listing).

Accepted Solution

Re: Nexus 5 price?

Well that's silly, you sign into a contract for the one and only benifit of subsidizing the price of a phone, but in this case there's no subsidy and you're still locked in for 2 years. Weird, so the answer is that it's such a bad deal to buy from the carrier you should just buy directly from google.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
I'm a Participant Level 3 fido1432
I'm a Participant Level 3

They do that so you will get it at the on contract price

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
I'm a Participant Level 2 jln84
I'm a Participant Level 2
Solution

Well that's silly, you sign into a contract for the one and only benifit of subsidizing the price of a phone, but in this case there's no subsidy and you're still locked in for 2 years. Weird, so the answer is that it's such a bad deal to buy from the carrier you should just buy directly from google.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
I'm Experienced Level 2
I'm Experienced Level 2

Quick clarification, if you buy it at full price (either through Fido or elsewhere) and receive no subsidy, you're not locked in (unless you already have a contract for a previous phone you already bought, which is a different story).
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4