New Bell Webmail, Fido Network and my Blackberry

TedinTO
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi there.

This week, Bell changed its email system. I don't like the new system much; but that is beside the point.

The issue is that while I can access the new email system through Microsoft Outlook and my browser at home, it would not work on my Blackberry (as it did before the change.)

After spending time in webchat with a Bell representative, I discovered that:

• I can use the email when connected through wi-fi to my Bell internet and the Fido network is off.
  • I can use the email when the Fido network is on but my wi-fi is off.
  • I might have been able to use the email momentarily when both things were on (as I used to do), but then I seemed to lose that capability.

Has any other Fido user with a Bell email account had problems following the change in Bell's email/webmail?

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem and how I might fix it?

(In the interim, it would seem, I will need to go around with the Fido network on and the wi-fi off, as I ideally need to be able to text AND email...)

Any advice/assistance received will be much appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@TedinTO wrote:

Hi there.

This week, Bell changed its email system. I don't like the new system much; but that is beside the point.

The issue is that while I can access the new email system through Microsoft Outlook and my browser at home, it would not work on my Blackberry (as it did before the change.)

After spending time in webchat with a Bell representative, I discovered that:

• I can use the email when connected through wi-fi to my Bell internet and the Fido network is off.
  • I can use the email when the Fido network is on but my wi-fi is off.
  • I might have been able to use the email momentarily when both things were on (as I used to do), but then I seemed to lose that capability.

Has any other Fido user with a Bell email account had problems following the change in Bell's email/webmail?

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the problem and how I might fix it?

(In the interim, it would seem, I will need to go around with the Fido network on and the wi-fi off, as I ideally need to be able to text AND email...)

Any advice/assistance received will be much appreciated.

Hello TedinTO,

Welcome to the forums!

Have you verified that your Blackberry's email client is using the correct servers? Bell updated their IMAP server (see here). Apparently, their POP had not changed though. If you are using POP/SMTP, you should be using the SMTP provided by Bell as I believe Fido no longer has a SMTP server.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers