Network Status Checker

Network Status Checker

Network Status Checker

SOLVED
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Network Status Checker

Hello,

Not sure how long it's been available, but I just noticed there is a Network Status Checker. Things are looking good where I'm at  Smiley

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Network Status Checker

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMaria

Hey Cawtau!

It's been available since January 27th. Smiley Glad everything's looking good where you're at. Thanks for sharing with the Community! Very_Happy

View solution in context
16 REPLIES 16
tschepens
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Thanks for link to tower site. 709 metres at 352°. Cluster of towers there - easy for Fido tech support to figure out none are 'omnidirectional', but shadow signals reach me. Competitors towers at same site - on Roam with EXT I'd have some signal - but Fido blocked it when I signed onto a plan. Go figure.
Thanks for nothing - absolutely nothing - to all the (un)helpful Customer Service & Technical Support at Fido. They could (and should) have done this simple look-see...!

@tschepens wrote:
Thanks for link to tower site. 709 metres at 352°. Cluster of towers there - easy for Fido tech support to figure out none are 'omnidirectional', but shadow signals reach me. Competitors towers at same site - on Roam with EXT I'd have some signal - but Fido blocked it when I signed onto a plan. Go figure....

Hello,

If you do not get signal a your home, then you would always be using Fido-EXT at your location. I think one of the reasons for limiting the amount of roaming on competitor towers is that if you are using their towers more often than Fidos then they would rather you pay them for service instead of Fido. I really doubt it is Fido who does not want you to use the service.

Cheers

Hey tschepens,

I totally get where you're coming from. Can you reply to the PM we sent so we can do some more test to figure out what's going on? Thanks!

tschepens

Thanks for all that - it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing there's an obvious and logical explanation for the lack of signal in the middle of an established 4G/LTE neighbourhood. A cellular 'flat spot', if you like.
However, the roaming charges don't relate to over-use of EXT, because that's only available to pre-paid customers, as you noted in your first reply. I don't get EXT because I was dumb enough to get suckered into a locked-in contract in exchange for a fancy new LG G3 which might help my reception problem. It doesn't! And thru all my repeated angry rants you'd think someone at Fido would have simply offered to make EXT available as a partial remedy...But noooo! That would show imagination, to say nothing of flexibility! Just not in the vast arsenal of 'Fido Solutions' (sic). The only time it's an issue is when I'm at home, since I live near the border and the ocean. So "excessive use" would be an unlikely luxury, let alone an abuse!
Of course another (unpopular) tower would fix this, but until then does Fido really expect me to pay extra and get less? No phone service and an inflated bill - how long does Fido think people will endure shoddy treatment before they 'escalate' to the Regulatory Authority...

Hello,

To clarify, Fido-EXT is not restricted to prepaid. It may be dependent on the specifics of a plan, but at least some monthly plans are able to use Fido-EXT. I know people who have used it with monthly plans, and I have also used it myself on more than one occasion. Perhaps your Fido-EXT was blocked. If it reception issues only occur at your home, it is possible you exceeded your 50% usage.

You also note that you live close to the border. There should be something in place to prevent roaming charges around the border. Im not sure what that provision is, but apparently the whole border should be protected (see here).

Cheers

@Cawtau wrote:

Hello,

To clarify, Fido-EXT is not restricted to prepaid. It may be dependent on the specifics of a plan, but at least some monthly plans are able to use Fido-EXT. I know people who have used it with monthly plans, and I have also used it myself on more than one occasion. Perhaps your Fido-EXT was blocked. If it reception issues only occur at your home, it is possible you exceeded your 50% usage.

Hello,

Just to further clarify, it doesn't appear that extended coverage (Fido-EXT) is even available for prepaid customers.

Extended coverage.jpg

Taken from here.

Cheers

tschepens

And I' ve been thru all this - last time I went on here - same waste of time explaining same problem. Just go back over the Fido PM'S and you will get the picture - and my frustration& anger!
tschepens

Just checked - there is no last PM. It's empty. Sigh. Yawn.
What a system...!
tschepens

If you care, you can look up my acct. from my user name, shown here...

Hey @tschepens, you can reply to our last PM so we can continue Smiley 

tschepens

Yes, and yes! And just a long waste of time trading "PM's", and nothing, repeat NOTHING done to deal with problem. And I phoned. And I explained it over & over - no signal, in a 4G/LTE neighbourhood!
Just vague attempts to show interest & pretend to really intend to act...to fix the system failure here.

@tschepens wrote:
Yes, and yes! And just a long waste of time trading "PM's", and nothing, repeat NOTHING done to deal with problem. And I phoned. And I explained it over & over - no signal, in a 4G/LTE neighbourhood!
Just vague attempts to show interest & pretend to really intend to act...to fix the system failure here.

Hello Tschepens,

Have you considered the possibility that where you are is not actually adequately covered anymore? I understand you think the area is in a 4G/LTE neighbourhood, BUT it was noted in your other thread that the Fido coverage map is not that accurate. You can get an idea of where the cell towers on sites like here.

I also understand you seem to think the many factors which can affect cellular signal are obvious, BUT sometimes it's the obvious things that make the most sense. It seems likely that at least some of those factors could be causing your signal issues. Yes, you have explained that it only started after you switched from prepaid to monthly. If you previously had low but adequate signal on prepaid, any new construction between you and the cellular towers could impede signal completely. It does happen.

With regards to roaming charges, it's possible they're because you've been using an excessive amount on Fido-EXT because you are closer to the other cellular towers. As explained before, extended coverage is only meant for short-term use. If you exceed 50% usage within extended coverage, it will be blocked (see here). If blocked, you might end up roaming on their networks for pay.

Sometimes there are no possible fixes other than erecting another cell tower closer to where you are. I know you don't believe it, but I'm sure Fido is doing what they can on their end. The network is working in the area. Unfortunately, it's just not reaching where you are.

Cheers

tschepens

...and sending a "Report" is even more futile - nothing happens! Tried at least 10 times when it occurs, no improvement or follow-up. Just an inflated bill as punishment for complaining - repeated incorrect Roaming & Long Distance charges...

Hi @tschepens!

Have you already contacted us to have this looked into? Are others in your area experiencing the same thing?

tschepens

It looks great here, too - key word being LOOKS! It always shows "Network working normally" even when I have zero signal bars and absolutely no signal whatsoever!
Network Status Checker =
Great window dressing with no meaning or substance!
FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hey Cawtau!

It's been available since January 27th. Smiley Glad everything's looking good where you're at. Thanks for sharing with the Community! Very_Happy