Network Error - Read Receipts Still Not Fixed!!

SOLVED
gdangelo27
I'm a Participant Level 3

Yesterday I spoke with a Tier 2 Fido Tech person regarding the multiple read receipts I have been getting from my mother’s android phone every hour (she is with Freedom Mobile). There were 25 this morning despite never sending her a message for over a week! It is so annoying.

Both companies have acknowledged there is a technical network error and approx 2 tenths of their customers are being affected. So why isn’t this fixed yet Fido?? Apparently it is happening between Freedom Mobile Customers and IPhone users on Fido who have a ported phone number. It is driving me bonkers.

Please fix this problem; it has nothing to do with our phones. We do not use IMessage and have read receipts turned off on both ends. Even Apple support says it is a carrier issue. A technical problem with the network. Help!

Accepted Solution

Re: Network Error - Read Receipts Still Not Fixed!!

Solved by Former Moderator FidoRanya

Hey Community , 

Just wanted to offer a final update, this now appears to be fixed. 

Thanks for everyone's patience , we truly appreciate it Very_Happy

View solution in context
29 REPLIES 29
joelmarc

This appears to be fixed for me. Text messages stopped about 24 hours ago! 

gdangelo27

Hi everyone,

I was one of the first people that posted about this issue. Although the issue ceased for me last Tuesday May 29th, 2018 -- I have not attempted to text my mother or send her text photos for fear that the problem will start again.  Fido claims they are treating this issue seriously, but to date it has been 11 days since this problem started and from the sounds of it, it still isn't resolved.  Perhaps it is now worth it to report this to the CRTC and and the CCTS.

I am still waiting for an update on the progress of this issue.  Fido/Rogers, if this still isn't resolved, can you please send another text to your customers explaining why this issue is taking so long to fix? We deserve answers for why our service is being affected.

Thank you.

PS - please do not reply to this post with  - we are currently doing all we can do.  I have received this canned response three times over the course of this thread.

Hey Community!

Just wanted to update you on this, at the moment it's still not fully fixed but we're working closely to have this resolved as soon as possible. 

We'll update this thread once it's resolved! 

Hey Community , 

Just wanted to offer a final update, this now appears to be fixed. 

Thanks for everyone's patience , we truly appreciate it Very_Happy

M-Lou
I'm a Participant Level 1

I am also having the same issue.  We sent a group text, and both people that use Fido have had over 200 'read receipts' from a Freedom Android user since May 31st. I use an iPhone 8+, the other friend being spammed has an iPhone 6, both have iOS 11.3.1

It's very frustrating . . . .

Nguyen72
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have had the same problem for over a week now, very annoying. I had contacted fido customer service but still can not fix the problem.

Hey @Nguyen72

We'll be happy to take a look into that with you!

I'll send you a PM so we can get started Smiley

gdangelo27

So Fido Julien,

Just to clarify... what you are saying is the issue has still not been fixed? After 7 days?? Wow. 

Do you have any detailed information as to why this is happening? Somehow they stopped the read receipts to my phone, but I haven’t dared text my mother who is on Freedom for fear it will start up again.

Hey @gdangelo27

I assure you this issue is our priority and our Support groups are investigating. 

As soon as we have more details or a resolution, we'll update the thread🙂

Zerg00s

I wonder if someone can help me with an incredibly annoying issue that almost renders my phone useless.

Every 20-30 minutes I keep getting an SMS message saying "Your message to #id has been Read". Look at the screenshots below and imagine a non-stop torrent of useless spam like this:

**removed pic due to personal info**

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure if it's a question to Fido to to Apple. I suspect it's probably Fido since Apple does not send SMS spam like this. 

More info

• iPhone 5s 
  • Never had this issue before. I had this phone for at least 3 years.
  • Started on Friday after I've exchanged a few SMS messages with a friend.
  • I receive these messages only within an SMS chat with that friend. 
  • This friend does not see this spam. It's only visible on my end. His SMS chat history is clean.
  • I don't have an issue like that with any of other friends.
  • Keep getting these messages every 20-30 minutes for the last 3 days.
  • I've received more than a 100 of these messages and they keep going

Hey @Zerg00s, thanks for posting! Smiley

I've moved your post to this thread as it deals with the same topic, and just a head's up that I removed the picture as it contained your friend's phone number.

That said, we're aware that some iPhone users are receiving read receipts for text messages sent and we're looking into it!

I'm going to send you a PM so we can have a ticket opened. See you there Smiley

joelmarc

Same issue for me. Signed up yesterday to fido (new number) and been getting hundreds of "Your message to xxx-xxx-xxxx has been Read" since I signed up. I have an iPhone 6 and I only get the messages from non-iphones. It appears to be across multiple carriers for me, but I get hundreds from contacts that are on Freedom Mobile and only 1-2 non-iphone contacts on other carriers (Telus, Rogers, etc).

Called Apple and they said it was an issue with Rogers/Fido customers. There are forums online that date this issue back to 2013 unfortionately: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5328472 

POTENTIAL SOLUTION: open your own contact card in iphone contacts and change the 'type' of number (for yourself) from 'iPhone' to 'mobile.' (didn't work for me but maybe some?)

gdangelo27

Hey JoelMarc,

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem. FYI - the solution you suggested from google threads (changing the type of number in contacts) does not work. 

It it is definitely a network issue. After getting read receipts for 4 days, I got a message from Rogers on Tuesday May 29th at 2:22 pm Pacific that technical teams were on the problem, but that I would be updated when it was fixed. Oddly enough, my read receipts stopped that afternoon, but Fido has not told me it has been fixed. I am afraid to message my mother in case it happens again.

Fido techs, can you please update us on the status of this issue. What is going on? Has it been fully resolved? Your communication with customers is the pits.

Hey @gdangelo27

I can totally get how this can be an unpleasant situation and I assure you it's in the hands of the right people. You should receive another text message as soon as they can confirm that the issue has been resolved.

joelmarc

@FidoPierre How do I get my issue fixed as well?

Hey @joelmarc,

I'll send you a PM to open a ticket for you Smiley

Talk soon!

Vicki1202
I'm a Participant Level 2

I’m having the same issue also

Vicki1202

Last week I sent my mom a photo text ... which I’ve done many times in the past without issue but now I need getting the same read receipt over and over again all day and night long. She is on Android and I’m using an iPhone. We have both tried restarting our phones. We have deleted the conversations. We even deleted each other as contacts and nothing seems to help. Her phone doesn’t even show these messages going out. I made sure that my phone isn’t requesting a read receipt also. I called tech support with no help. Is anyone else experiencing this? As anyone found a solution? 

Hey @Vicki1202,

I've moved your other post here too since the thread is about the same topic.

I'll send you a PM to open a ticket with out technical support.

We'll talk soon! Smiley

Diamond69

I am TOTALLY ANNOYED with FIDO and the read receipts that have still NOT been fixed!!! It has been THREE DAYS I have been receiving read receipts CONSTANTLY!!

I went to the Guildford FIDO store and this very unprofessional female that works there claim it’s not THEIR problem and I should make the complain to APPLE Inc.

I went to APPLE Inc. and they checked and recognized it was a NETWORK ISSUE with FIDO!

I went back to FIDO and the representative was very dismissive to the point where she got annoyed and got up because ‘she has never seen this problem and it was not reported so she has no idea what I’m talking about’... even though I showed her the OVER 150 MESSAGES!!!

I am ready to CHANGE my carrier to another phone company because FIDO has become too focused on making money that they forget to satisfy their customers!!!