Need a plan for snowbirds!

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Need a plan for snowbirds!

I had a number for my senior parents (snow birds) for the past 10 years. For some reason (bad advice from a customer rep) I lost the number and they assigned it to someone else and I will have to get e new numbers for them. Now they will be forced to ask all his friends to update their new number. Easy task for anyone, particularly for seniors. (very appreciated, thank you!)

Which plan, with no contrct, lets me change plan to activate and deactivate the line 3 or 4 times a year?

Accepted Solution

Re: Need a plan for snowbirds!

Welcome to the community @alejogomez

Sorry to hear about your parent's lost number. Unfortunately we won't be able to retrieve the number if it's now assigned to someone else. 

As for the plan suggestion, I would suggest choosing to activate a prepaid plan for your parents. That way, you can decide to refill the account whenever you need to use the service. Here's how the prepaid account expiry works:

• For new prepaid accounts
    • Following a prepaid activation or a migration from monthly to prepaid, you have to add airtime within the first 30 days. After this, you won’t be able to add airtime and your account and phone number will be deactivated
  • For Existing prepaid accounts
    • Special grace period (day 1 to 7 of inactivity)
      • Your number remains active, but you are unable to use your service
      • You can refill your account anytime to retrieve the expired balance with a refill
    • Grace period (day 8 - 275 of inactivity):
      • Your number remains active but you are unable to use your service
      • You can refill your account anytime
    • Expiry period (day 276 - 365 of inactivity):
      • Your number remains assigned to your account but you will need to contact Customer Service to reactivate your account
    • Cancelled (after 365 days of inactivity):
      • Your account can only be reactivated if the number is still available
      • If the number is no longer available, you will need to purchase a new SIM card and activate a new account with a new number

You can view our current prepaid plans by clicking here: Fido.ca/prepaidplans and our refill options here: http://bit.ly/RefillMethods. Hope this helps! Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
Solution

Re: Need a plan for snowbirds!

Welcome to the community @alejogomez

Sorry to hear about your parent's lost number. Unfortunately we won't be able to retrieve the number if it's now assigned to someone else. 

As for the plan suggestion, I would suggest choosing to activate a prepaid plan for your parents. That way, you can decide to refill the account whenever you need to use the service. Here's how the prepaid account expiry works:

• For new prepaid accounts
    • Following a prepaid activation or a migration from monthly to prepaid, you have to add airtime within the first 30 days. After this, you won’t be able to add airtime and your account and phone number will be deactivated
  • For Existing prepaid accounts
    • Special grace period (day 1 to 7 of inactivity)
      • Your number remains active, but you are unable to use your service
      • You can refill your account anytime to retrieve the expired balance with a refill
    • Grace period (day 8 - 275 of inactivity):
      • Your number remains active but you are unable to use your service
      • You can refill your account anytime
    • Expiry period (day 276 - 365 of inactivity):
      • Your number remains assigned to your account but you will need to contact Customer Service to reactivate your account
    • Cancelled (after 365 days of inactivity):
      • Your account can only be reactivated if the number is still available
      • If the number is no longer available, you will need to purchase a new SIM card and activate a new account with a new number

You can view our current prepaid plans by clicking here: Fido.ca/prepaidplans and our refill options here: http://bit.ly/RefillMethods. Hope this helps! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 2